Sponsored Links

Broadband SNR Bouncing around...

I have BT VSDL broadband and since the weekend my internet speed has crashed. I'm now capped at 20000kbits/s down from ~40000kbit/s. Looking at my router statistics I'm getting 2500+ CRC errors an hour in both directions and multiple disconnects per day. I have spoken to BT and got the usual piece of information about if no faults are found etc. etc. I thought I would leave it a few days to see if it improves.

I then noticed the the SNR was bouncing up and down and the spectrum is looking very odd at times. I have attached a video. Looks like interference to me, just wondered what other peoples opinion was before I start hunting for a new source of interferance!

Thanks.

[video=youtube_share;N3BUDULIFrY]https://youtu.be/N3BUDULIFrY[/video]

Do you have any router stats (attenuation, SNR etc.) from both before and after the problem began? Also I assume you've plugged the usual filters into all your phone sockets and your router is connected to the Mastersocket, ideally one with a filtered faceplate (if it's an older NTE5 socket then it might not be filtered but if you have the Openreach logo on top then there's a good chance it is)? Also does the same issue occur when using your BT supplied router?

A good place to start after that is to conduct the BT Quiet Line Test by dialling 17070 and selecting Option 2 (ideally it's best to do this with an analogue rather than DECT wireless phone). If your telephone has the option, put it on mute and you should hear nothing through the handset. But if you hear any line noise (crackling, buzzes, popping etc.) then there may be an issue.

It is interference. I performed a lot of investigation last night and it appears that connecting my Fritz 7390(Provides DSL) and my Linksys WRT1900ACS(Use to extend WiFi Range) don't like be connected together.

Simply removing the cable between them see's the spectrum going back to being rock steady. I tried changing the cable but that did not change anything.

Anyone got a suggestion on how I can work out which one is at fault?

Sponsored Links
It's highly unusual that connecting those two together would impact your DSL broadband stats, since only one of the devices will be managing the DSL side of things. So I'm guessing that the stability issues go away when you're just using the Fritz 7390 by itself? This suggests that the Linksys kit may have a faulty AC adaptor or something else.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules