Sponsored Links

"Broadband users cheated on speeds"

Mel

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/116035/broadband-users-cheated-on-speeds.html

Just one in five broadband users receive the speed that they signed up for.
New research by Moneysupermarket reveals that only 21% of UK subscribers get the top speed, with 44% getting half the advertised performance.

Only 6% of subscribers to Sky's "up to 16Mb" package get near this speed, with 78% only achieving speeds of up to 8Mb/sec. Over half of Talk Talk (61%), Orange (57%) and BT (51%) customers on an "up to 8Mb/sec" deal only achieve speeds of up to 4Mbsec.

Consequently, 30% of broadband subscribers feel they have been misled. "I urge all people to check what deal they are on and then ask their broadband provider for a free upgrade, so they may actually get a noticeable increase in their speed," says Jason Lloyd, Moneysupermarket.com's head of broadband. "Providers are aware in many cases they don't deliver the speed they promise and so will be keen to appease unhappy customers wherever they can."

I understand the point of this - but surely it's not all the fault of the ISPs.

I get my broadband "delivered" over my BT phone line - like most people. Unfortunately I live a long way from the exchange and have a line loss > 60 dB. Consequently I only get 1 Mbps speeds from an "up to 8 Mb" service.

Hardly the fault of my ISP (which for the record is Fast4)

Perhaps better (and more obvious) explanations of the factors affecting real-life speed would be a good idea, particularly on ISP websites.

Sponsored Links
To be honest I'm surprised it's even 1 in 5, shouldn't that be more like 0.1 in 5 unless you physically live on top of your ISP's broadband terminals :rolleyes: . Technically almost nobody will receive the absolute top speed of their connection, although admittedly I'm being far too literal. The technical limitations of ADSL certainly play a major role.

Perhaps better (and more obvious) explanations of the factors affecting real-life speed would be a good idea, particularly on ISP websites.

Sounds reasonable in theory.....

...but would your average punter who only wants to surf a little and make the odd purchase be able to understand even the most basic explanation.

Most ISPs do make some sort of footnote comment about factors such as line length and quality affecting the overall download speed. If anyone can be bothered to understand more (like those of us ion ISPr) there are plenty of resources that explain in as much detail as we want.

For most folk - like my mum and dad - broadband is simply a way to be able to surf and talk on the phone at the same time....and anything is an improvement from dial-up

To be honest I'm surprised it's even 1 in 5

It does seem a bit high, perhaps a lot of people are still on relatively undemanding 512k - 2mbps fixed speed connections. :shrug: Mind you my ISP did try to palm me off with a 512kbps connection on a 1mbps package :laugh:

Even if you live close enough to the exchange to get 8mbps chances are much of the time you actually use the connection you could experience the effects of traffic management or congestion.

The 6% Sky figure doesn't surprise me, well if anything it is higher than I would have guessed after reading some of the complaints about the difficulty some customers seem to have getting Sky's support to switch their service from ADSL1 to ADSL2+. I'm planning to go for Sky next, but I'm not going to bother with for the Max package when LLU becomes available at my exchange even though I might get a marginal gain in performance as the chances of them providing me ADSL2+ seems remote.

Last edited:
It does seem a bit high, perhaps a lot of people are still on relatively undemanding 512k - 2mbps fixed speed connections. :shrug: Mind you my ISP did try to palm me off with a 512kbps connection on a 1mbps package :laugh:

I was on a 512k package until recently. I'm now awaiting connection to a 24mb package from Be (activation scheduled for Monday - can't wait since I'm currently on dial up). I live about 500m from the exchange as the crow flies, so it wil be interesting to see what kind of speeds I get.

techno peasant said:
For most folk - like my mum and dad - broadband is simply a way to be able to surf and talk on the phone at the same time....and anything is an improvement from dial-up

I agree - which makes me a little suspicious of these numbers. How do they know 21% of people are not getting thier speeds when so many people don't know or care what their speeds should be? How can their data be accurate?

Especially when you'd pretty much have to be directly connected to the exchange to get the full speed anyway

TBH, except when the issue is throttling / capping I think this would be a non-issue if the technology was properly explained. If the explanation is hidden in the small print then the ISP runs the risk of being accused of trying to mislead customers by hiding the limitations of their services - even if that isn't the case.

Sponsored Links
Just one in five broadband users receive the speed that they signed up for

Rubbish, all user get the speed they signed up for because all ISP's state "up to" Xmbps. At no point have I seen an ISP say "guarenteed" Xmbps. If anyone knows one that guarantees a speed then point them out.

As it happens, there was one advertising 8mbps on this very site just last year with no mention of "up to" in the ad.

If only a handful of users are going to get anywhere near X mbps, perhaps ISPs shouldn't be advertising up to X mbps without stating what the average download speed for a typical user is, after throttling, congestion and limitations caused by the distance to the exchange etc.

If only a handful of users are going to get anywhere near X mbps, perhaps ISPs shouldn't be advertising up to X mbps without stating what the average download speed for a typical user is, after throttling, congestion and limitations caused by the distance to the exchange etc.

Hmmm maybe, if it bothers people that much.
I can understand some frustration from those who only get 512kbps but at least they get broadband, there are still a very small selection that don't. However I wouldn't moan if i'd got my broadband from an up to 8 mbps ISP but was only getting 4mbps (as quoted above from talktalk/bt/orange). I'm just grateful to have anything better than a dial-up connection speed. Don't think I could go back to that again.

still one would hope one was getting what one paid for.. anything passed 3meg l think is reasonable however l would be complaining if l got less than that all the time seen as l know l can go faster..

Sponsored Links
. I'm just grateful to have anything better than a dial-up connection speed. Don't think I could go back to that again.

Ain't that the truth - I just moved house and my BB isn't activated yet. I'd forgotten how frustrating dial-up is!

Well if people are complaining that they dont get 8mbps, then they dont understand how the technology works.

But what people are alowed to complain about is if there connected at 7mbps but only able to download at 400KBps half of there connected speed.
And i know you may disagree with this, but if your paying the money you SHOULD get the maximum speed that your line supports! If your isp does not do this then move.

ITs the same with us we live 1.4km (crow flies) which is about 3.5km of cable. We get about 1.7mbps connection stable. What we dont get is a constant supplied speed to match that! thats why we are moving, most of the time BT will only supply 50KBps. Its not the over all speed 1.7mbps is more that sufficent!! its just that they never supply that damm speed!!

I know that you can say at least you have broad band as some cant get it, but you as the customer have the right to complain or move if they refuse to supply the service.

Thats just my take on it :)

Well if people are complaining that they dont get 8mbps, then they dont understand how the technology works.

Yes, but you can't expect everyone to become an expert on every technology they use (well, you can expect it, but it'll never happen)

You would expect most on the regulars on ISPr to have a good understanding of the limitations of ADSL, given the nature of the site, but most people know know or care about how it works, as long as it works.

For me, I am the same with my car - as long as it works, I don't really care how it works.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5507)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2534)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2259)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1970)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1661)
  11. Virgin Media (1615)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1458)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1388)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules