Sponsored Links

BT and Linux

I have a problem with the Windows OS as I don't have a reinstall disk and don't want to get a new XP OS to replace my XP SP0 students and teachers edition.

So I put on an old Linux distro on another Hard Drive. Anyone know if their installation disc for Home Hub 2 will have the data to connect me? And if it contains all sorts of InPhomation I don't want. I used HjT to remove all the toolbars and crapware from an earlier install.

That's maybe what stuffed it.

Anyone know if the Service Pack 3 disc Microsoft are offering will work on Home editions. The website just shows discs for XP Pro.

I don't have BT's service but isn't its Home Hub just a router, meaning that the software installation side shouldn't be essential for an Internet connection? I may have misunderstood.

I would imagine their SP3 disc works for WinXP Home too but you could also just go onto the Microsoft site and download the update as a redistrib/network install (comes as a single big file that self installs once downloaded).

Thanks for the advice but both my putrids are sick at the moment. I am half certain it is due to a badly written dongle app. But what can I say? I don't want to spread rumours.

I have a crossed wire or something in the registry of my favourite PC and the older one fell over with an upgrade after reinstalling the old windows OS.

It burned out the PSU; though I admit that was already running hot. I just didn't realise how hot.

How do I flash the BIOS on an oldish Gigabyte board?

I put the new driver on CD but it was not an empty CD. And it seemed to avoid the boot. Or is there another stage after opening the driver and copying to disc, that I missed?

But anyway I was using the old Lindows 4.5 I had handy as it is an easy install and very user friendly. If I can get online with that I'll be happy. At least it will tell me that the XP registry is corrupt. I had a virus on it a few weeks back that may have caused a problem.

At least I learned that I was right to never RTFM before installing hardware. Put silly things like drivers in and you end up with BT foolbars. All the better to keep me in phorm-ed I suppose.

Ah well...

I like a good story especially if it happened to someone else. :(

At least I'll be helping the government to keep track of people. Always look on the bright side of life, I say
....to everyone who is listening.

Sponsored Links
Older boards needed the updated bios files on a floppy boot disk, later ones could be installed from within windows, you really need to visit the Gigabyte website and find out which method you need to use; the latest boards will download and install directly from the Gigabyte website.

A bit late for the advice, but use a smallish paintbrush to clean out the fluff and dust from all the fans and heatsinks in your PC at least once every year.
I have bought Earthwatts and Xillence PSU's recently and found them to be very good (and quiet).

I used to clean it far more often than that. Including the paint brush trick. It must have been on it's last legs. I'd have thought a 600 W unit would be more robust though.

There is a PDF advicsor about the driver that wouldn't open on this box for some reason and of course when I went to put all my files online so I could clean the other one I realised it was in need of a reinstall because it can't get online.

Still a DVD makes more sense. Stupid not doing that ages ago, really. So I will be doing that tonight instead of watching corny aching street.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5512)
  2. BT (3514)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2297)
  5. Business (2261)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2043)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1972)
  9. Statistics (1788)
  10. 4G (1663)
  11. Virgin Media (1619)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1460)
  13. Fibre Optic (1394)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules