Sponsored Links

BT Broadband only delivering 1Mb at best

My girlfriend has been with BT broadband for about 18 months. On a GOOD day, she gets 1Mb sync speed. At present the HomeHub stats are:

DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
DSL line rate: 416 Kbps upstream, 960 Kbps downstream

She has the HomeHub plugged into the Master socket and we have tried 3 or 4 different ADSL filters to no avail. The telephone exchange is less than 2 miles away and there is a BT green cabinet at the end of her road, approximately 200 Metres away. BT have not been helpful, in fact they were uninterested in resolving the poor line speeds and were more interested in hard selling an upgrade to Infinity.

Alternative ISPs are suggesting the following speeds on their availability checkers:

Uno: 9.1 - 18.9 Mbps
Sky: 14.7 - 21.4 Mbps (Minimum 10.9 Mbps - Ofcom V.C.O.P)
Plusnet: 8 - 18 Mbsp
EE: 8.5 - 18.5 Mbps

Would I be correct in thinking that BT is under performing, or could it just be a poor line?

It's impossible to fully say without seeing your full line stats, including the loop att length.

Your line could also have been banded (due to being poor), however, BT will need to perform a line test for you and lift this if it's incorrectly in place.

Sponsored Links
Has it always been this slow??

Have you tried a line reset?? (switch off and unplug all equipment for 40 minutes).

Have you tried the test socket behind the Master socket cover?

Is it an old Master socket, or a newer IP Plate Master socket?

The speeds have always been poor since she moved into the house and signed up for BT 18 months ago. The hub is connected to the test socket of the master. We have just had the hub unplugged and powered off for an hour. It took about 5 minutes to stabilise, disconnecting 3 or 4 times first. The master socket is an old plastic one, possibly installed in the mid 90's when the house was built.

Poor line or poor service?

Can I get those stats from the HomeHub, or are they something that only BT will know?

Annoyingly BT, in their infinite wisdom, decided as part of a flawed survey that it would be best for their customers if they simply removed the full ADSL line stats from the more recent HomeHub routers.

In taking that approach they knowingly made it very difficult for end-users to get the full information on their line, which makes proper diagnosis extremely difficult. I think the relevant page on the HH4 router would normally be here:

http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9117

I suspect you'd need to get her login / password details for the DSL and try a different router in order to get the stats.

If it took 5 minutes to stabilise - I would guess (very) poor line. My TPLink routers have typically taken ~30 seconds.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I think our best option is to try Uno as they have 1 month contract which will give us chance to assess the line's capabilities. If the connection is no better, then we'll have no option but to look at FTTC packages.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules