Sponsored Links

Bt fibre 2 connection issues

Just feeling a little fobbed off with bt. Have had by infinity 2 since January without any hicups and a connection speed of around 66mb from the 52mb I had with infinity 1. Over the last few weeks have noticed that download speeds have been dropping and taking a closer look at the connection speed through the my hub I am now getting a 49 mb connection.
Spoke to BT and they keep fobbing me off saying as long as I'm over 48mb there isn't an issue even after explaining that I was getting a faster connection on infinity 1 but they don't seem to be interested. Anything I can do?

BT will keep moving the goalposts downward, so run a BT speedchecker and take a screenshot of the results, and the minimum guaranteed speed.

Also go look outside, is a tree growing close to your line at any point, could new spring growth be hitting the line and causing issues?? Branch strikes can cause micro fractures in the cable that introduce errors, and so the BT equipment will lower the speed until the errors subside.

Sadly you're now just outside of Ofcom's speed code that would have allowed you to exit or change contract penalty free. Likewise I don't expect that BT will do another major price hike until early next year, which means you can't use that as an excuse to exit either.

However it's just possible that 48Mbps might fall below the Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed (MGALS), which would allow you to exit or change plan penalty free. I think 48Mbps is probably still too high, but it's worth putting in a request to find out the MGALS level of your specific connection just to see.

Bit more detail at the bottom of this page:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/common_isp_complaints_speed.php

Sponsored Links
Hi Dirtyburty over a few years I had been dropping in sync speed mainly due to crosstalk as more joined the cabinet, I use draytek router which is always rock solid. Then got a firestick and noticed the wireless was flakey, after research I found there was new firmware for router that was BT accepted so I upgraded firmware the result was sync show up by 10Mbps latency dropped this was noticeable also as I had TB monitoring the connection. At the time I rebooted there was the small red strip for router down then came up everything was lower than before the reboot.

Is your router using latest firmware?
Are you using BT home hub and which one as some found they sync higher when using their own router.

Just a thought on some ways to check but sadly VDSL is prone to crosstalk if you were one of the first on the cabinet then speeds will drop.

Ok. Bt have raised a fault but don't have a clue what the fault is. Asked them to downgrade and they said I would have to pay an extra 10.00 per month to do this lol. Every time I ring about the fault they go through exactly the same protocol.

Have a bt hub 5 and nothings changed in the house. No obstructing trees etc, all cabling fine. Have a few kids in the house all with their gadgets and you can tell the connection speed is causing a few issues.

Bt are now claiming that they are lowering my speed due to me d/l and u/l a lot of data in a month. They are claiming I use 800gb of data and this is why they are throttling me. What is unlimited broadband?

Rang me back to say this information was incorrect and that's not the reason lol. Bloody Circus.

Last edited:
Bt are now claiming that they are lowering my speed due to me d/l and u/l a lot of data in a month. They are claiming I use 800gb of data and this is why they are throttling me. What is unlimited broadband?

Rang me back to say this information was incorrect and that's not the reason lol. Bloody Circus.

At least they havent sent you a bill for excess GB usage, they did that to a friend on Infinity a couple of years ago.

What you are experiencing is the reason I left them years ago and wont go back - they cant tell their arse from their elbow.

Sponsored Links
I had the opposite experience... I bought a house and kept the sellers TT FTTC connection which was consistent at around 69mbit and then moved to NOW FTTC and had only around 63mbit with some drop outs... Engineers came twice and said everything looks good and that a sync rate of 67000 is normal on my line... A few weeks later and I noticed my line increasing the rate on a daily basis... At some point I reached a 79500 sync rate with speeds of 75mbit... Now it is stuck at 77200 for some time now (72.5mbit real world speed).... Coming from an area with FTTP (Hyperoptic) I can't wait until we finally get FTTP here as well... I have a feeling in my case that it was either cross talk (although they denied it - however in the week before the speed increase I saw an OR van parked outside my neighbours) or it was the rainy winter weather... Either way - I wish you good luck :/

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules