Sponsored Links

BT FTTP - high ping compared to hyper-optic & router question

C13LKE

Hi just ordered fibre BT full fibre 900 its going live monday. I have the BT smart hub 2 arriving tomorrow. Has anyone who has already upgraded to fibre 500/900 tested on smart hub 2 vs a wifi 6 router? (netgear rax40 / asus rt-ax58u or better) have an improved ping over the bt hubs? Is the upgrade worth it for me to spend £170 to have a nicer online gaming experience?

At the minute I have smart hub 1.0 with 3000mbps wifi 6 PCI-e adapter in my pc which is pinging the router at <1ms and I'm pinging google at 6-8ms. Getting 15-20ms in most games on uk servers.

I see people on hyperoptic getting 0-3ms to google. Where are we losing out? Contention? Cable quality? Routing? Because it's not symmetrical up/down? Bt openreach network/pipelines/servers?

If you're a gamer then it's usually best to find a way of cutting out WiFi altogether (wired link to router). As for pings, it may be a good idea to tracerout your connection and find out where the latency is popping up in the chain; it's often due to changes in peering/routing between ISPs and internet servers, rather than the local setup.

Alas I don't yet have FTTP from Openreach or anybody else and so can't comment on actual experience with this setups.

Honestly my wifi pci-e 6 adapter is pinging the router from <1 to 1ms consistantly. no need for wired anymore i'm only about 2 meteres from the router. It's the same as wired now in my situation which is why i love this £30 adapter from amazon. my powerline adapter was only getting half speed download of 300mb due to a circuit breaker, as don't want to run a cable through the kitchen.

It seems you are right, it is the routing as getting 8ms to london
this is UK Blizzard wow server for example.

1586087431839.png

I do feel people on hyperoptic are getting 0-3ms to london though. Is it really location (nottingham to london) giving me 8ms, or BT openreach infrastructure or cable quality, or my outdated bt ultrasfast smart hub 1.0?

Although tomorrow I am getting put on a new rack in the exchange when they upgrade me to 1gig, hopefully the contention ratio should improve my ping.

Do you think it's worth upgrading the BT Smart Hub 2 to one of(TP-link ax3000/asus ax3000 or netgear ax3000) all around £170-200. For lets say wired connection only. a pure hardware upgrade or is the bt hardware optimal without the extra features (already reducing my ping to the lowest it can be).

Sponsored Links
OP, I'm afraid - contrary to popular opinion - full fibre (FTTP) will NOT massively improve your ping times, especially if coming from FTTC. Location plays a huge part and those people getting <10ms ping times - irrespective of ISP & type of connection - will be living in or near London, where most ISPs have their data centres. Reason why many Hyperoptic punters get very low ping times (<5ms) is because Hyperoptic has more customers in London than anywhere else. No way on God's Earth will Hyperoptic FTTP/B customers in Glasgow be getting 3ms - more like 10-15ms.

I have BT FTTP and i get around 18ms ping times to 8.8.8.8....which is pretty good considering I live in North Scotland.

Re: router choice, yep definitely worth getting an AX router if you can afford it & and have AX clients to make use of the newer wifi technology. I have an TP Link TX3000E wifi 6 card installed in my desktop and get the full 2.4Gb/s link rate to my Netgear RAX200, with real world wifi throughput of around 1 Gb/s. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Netgear RAX200 - brilliant router for the money :)

OP, I'm afraid - contrary to popular opinion - full fibre (FTTP) will NOT massively improve your ping times, especially if coming from FTTC. Location plays a huge part and those people getting <10ms ping times - irrespective of ISP & type of connection - will be living in or near London, where most ISPs have their data centres. Reason why many Hyperoptic punters get very low ping times (<5ms) is because Hyperoptic has more customers in London than anywhere else. No way on God's Earth will Hyperoptic FTTP/B customers in Glasgow be getting 3ms - more like 10-15ms.

I have BT FTTP and i get around 18ms ping times to 8.8.8.8....which is pretty good considering I live in North Scotland.

Re: router choice, yep definitely worth getting an AX router if you can afford it & and have AX clients to make use of the newer wifi technology. I have an TP Link TX3000E wifi 6 card installed in my desktop and get the full 2.4Gb/s link rate to my Netgear RAX200, with real world wifi throughput of around 1 Gb/s. If you can afford it, I highly recommend the Netgear RAX200 - brilliant router for the money :)
I can confirm I get 0-5ms with BT FTTP in London

Just so you can have an idea of Fibre 900 Pings and location.

This is my traceroute to the Dutch Blizzard server you posted.

1586161546867.png

Using an Edge Router Lite-3 - Gigabit on an Ethernet connection.

Here's a Google DNS too for contrast.

1586161799546.png

Pings are from South Wales.

I suspect it's due to the number of hops on BT vs HyperOptic from your premises to the destination server.

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with hop count just distance. Takes a while to get from Nottingham to London and back even at 2/3rds the speed of light.

Nothing to do with hop count just distance. Takes a while to get from Nottingham to London and back even at 2/3rds the speed of light.

It will have a small impact the amount of switches and routers it has to go through, distance is the main factor though.

You can't see many of the hops and devices these go through. In the case of some networks you only see your entrance to their network and your exit. The impact of each device is so minimal as to be basically inconsequential.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules