Sponsored Links

BT - FTTP - HOW TO RAISE PING!!

davemarsden132

Casual Member
Hi All,

I am with BT FTTP - I pay for 1000mbps Down and 120mbps up... I get what i pay for so in that sense its amazing!

How can I raise my ping slightly? Its for Warzone - I currently sit at a 19ms ping. Warzone has LAG COMPENSATION and it shreads me... It really does, If i VPN to say Italy and get the 30-60ms Ping... I shred, When i was at my old house on Sky with 40ms ping my KD was 4.5. Since moving here and getting BT my KD is now 2.35. I know this is down to the PING and its costing me a career in Gaming.

I'm not talking about raising it 100ms or anything, I just want it to sit around the 30-50ms.

I have tried using the ISP router - Still comes in at 19ms, I have tried using a 40m cable, still comes in at 19ms.

Only thing that works is using a VPN. But this only works when I am host - Which isn't very often and then raises the Pings of everyone who plays with me so therefore not viable. AS they sit on 30ms and it raises them to 60/70.. they don't like me using it.

I know ping is very complex, but I can pay to leave BT - £200... I will happily pay this but if I then say switched to Sky slower speeds of say 200mbps. If it still gave me a 19ms ping then I have wasted £200 if you get me.

Is there any solid way to raise the ping, any guaranteed to work way. Ive tried everything, even running netflix on my pc, gf pc, tv all at once still 19ms!

I have the XR700 router!

Thanks All

So that's the first time in over two decades of doing ISPreview that I've heard of somebody wanting to get a worse ping in order to improve their multiplayer experience :) . I don't know how warzone's net code works, but it sounds odd.

I suppose there are various different, albeit more technical, ways that you could add extra server hops to the journey that your packets of data take, but I think just trying different VPN servers may be the easiest option. Even if aiming for a precise figure is probably a waste of time since ping times are inherently variable.

You could also, and I really can't believe I'm saying this, switch back to a slower WiFi router/technology on the 802.11n standard as this adds more latency to the connection than modern standards like ac or ax.

A router with linux or freebsd (possibly pfsense if it can use dummynet) should do the job, both have tools which can aid this.

Sponsored Links
So that's the first time in over two decades of doing ISPreview that I've heard of somebody wanting to get a worse ping in order to improve their multiplayer experience :) . I don't know how warzone's net code works, but it sounds odd.

I suppose there are various different, albeit more technical, ways that you could add extra server hops to the journey that your packets of data take, but I think just trying different VPN servers may be the easiest option. Even if aiming for a precise figure is probably a waste of time since ping times are inherently variable.

You could also, and I really can't believe I'm saying this, switch back to a slower WiFi router/technology on the 802.11n standard as this adds more latency to the connection than modern standards like ac or ax.

Ha i know its mad isnt it.. they have to do something to my internet because its so noticable! Then what i read is basically if im on 19ms ping - basically LAN and others are on 100ms ping my advantage is massive so instead they lag me to make it fairer in essence.

The VPN dosent seem to work when i'm not party leader though for some reason, unsure if this is because it just pings me to a UK server or what.

The cheap router option i tried, 19ms ping again haha, u think switching to Sky on a slower speed would work?

Cheers

Sounds like a bad game to be playing competitively then, might as well use a mobile phone to tether in.
Yep, a smarty sim w/unlimited data, 3internet apn and tethering sounds like a perfecto solution. I get about 30-40 ms ping on my phone with three.

Back when I was playing (tremulous and quake 3, lol), you had to join a server close to you where everyone playing had more or less the same ping, otherwise the experience was rubbish.
At some point they introduced "unlagged" servers, where software would try to compensate for ping difference, but this would usually lead to suboptimal experience, especially for power gamers and purists.

I see this is stil an unsolved problem.

Sponsored Links
If you watch Jukeyz latest stream today right at the end. He misses loads of bullets, he cant make sense of it and says he must be lagging.... he isnt at home and is at the redbull gaming in London...

Know what is diff between home and there..

19ms ping in london redbull arena
31ms ping at home

Lag compensation has just ****ed one of the best in the world.

This is what i get, and what i really need to fix somehow 😂

Wireless connections will give a greater Lag, and remove priority usage for your device.

I get only a 1ms increase, sometimes not even that, over WiFi. Maybe if you go further away from the router and use WiFi that may do the trick.

Sponsored Links
So i tried that app that creates a delay in ping.. It didnt work! Everytime i loaded up WZ it just closed the game. Dunno why!

I’d use an old desktop, install a second network card, install Linux, then configure it as a router to create a second subnet, then use the tc command to simulate a delay on the network, for example this will add 100ms to all outgoing packets on eth0 , eth0 being the network card/ interface connected to your internet router:

# tc qdisc add dev eth0 root netem delay 100ms

Connect your WZ gaming server to a switch off the other network on the eth1 card. You’ll need some linux and networking knowledge but perfectly feasible.

Alternatively hire a VM with a GPU from one of the Cloud providers and play off that, choose a global region that gives you the required ping delay. With a fast fttp home connection the streamed graphics work well enough.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules