Sponsored

BT FTTP Running slow with own router

handsomeinked

Casual Member
Has anyone else noticed that when they are using their own router to create the PPPoE connection BT's FTTP service is slower?

I have a TP-Link Archer AX6000, when it's connected directly to the ONT using CAT6a I get ~400 - 550Mbps.
However when I connect it to the BT Hub, with DHCP, Firewall and wifi turned off on the BT Hub, the Archer in the DMZ and operating in Fixed IP mode and managing everything except the PPPoE I get ~600 - 850Mbps, no change of cables (Except the obvious extra one connecting the BT Hub to the ONT).
I have done this over the course of several weeks with both setups to rule out time of day, day of week peaks and troughs.
BT are adamant they aren't throttling 3rd party routers however I am at a loss as to why the connection would be so much slower with the BT Hub out of the setup..

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Interesting. I think I'd first want to exclude the router as the problem (the most likely culprit is the router itself), but to do that you'd have to test it on a rival 1Gbps FTTP plan or buy a different router, which is not going to be viable for most people just to test. Hopefully others can test this. You should also make sure that no LAN / Ethernet energy saving modes are enabled on the Archer AX6000.

kommando828

ULTIMATE Member
Firewalls are intensive users of CPU, my Draytek 2925 can only cope with 300mb max on a 1gb wan port because of this. So if I ever get an FTTP above 300mb I need a better router.

candlerb

Top Member
There is some overhead in encapsulating/decapsulating PPPoE. If your TP-Link's firmware isn't optimised for this then that could limit your throughput. At least, that's a plausible explanation (proving it is hard without some sort of reference PPPoE server to connect to)

Depending on the reason you want to use the TP-Link, there are options you can try. For example, if it's because the TP-Link has better wifi coverage, then you ought to be able to switch your TP-Link into AP (bridge) mode, disable its built in DHCP, and just use it as a wireless access point hanging off the BT router.

baby_frogmella

Top Member
That Tp Link router should EASILY be able to cope with a 1 Gig line as it has a beefy 1.8ghz quad core CPU and tonnes of ram. It’s far better than ISP supplied kit, at least on paper.

I assume you’ve done a hard factory reset and firmware is up to date? If still no luck, I would get in touch with Tplink support and possibly RMA it for a replacement as you may have received a lemon.

handsomeinked

Casual Member
That Tp Link router should EASILY be able to cope with a 1 Gig line as it has a beefy 1.8ghz quad core CPU and tonnes of ram. It’s far better than ISP supplied kit, at least on paper.

I assume you’ve done a hard factory reset and firmware is up to date? If still no luck, I would get in touch with Tplink support and possibly RMA it for a replacement as you may have received a lemon.
You know that's the one thing I haven't done, I will give that a go this week as running the BT Hub to negotiate the PPPoE connection isn't sustainable.

handsomeinked

Casual Member
Interesting. I think I'd first want to exclude the router as the problem (the most likely culprit is the router itself), but to do that you'd have to test it on a rival 1Gbps FTTP plan or buy a different router, which is not going to be viable for most people just to test. Hopefully others can test this. You should also make sure that no LAN / Ethernet energy saving modes are enabled on the Archer AX6000.
I've been through the settings until I'm blue in the face when it's being used to negotiate the PPPoE connection, but I'll have a second look for any power saving. It's just strange that when the BT Hub is sitting between my router and the ONT the speed is the same as the BT Hub on it's own. I can't seem to see anything in the settings that would hamper this, the WAN port on the AX6000 supports up to 2Gbps fun duplex. But will have another look through it. Alas, and this is really unusual but I don't have a spare router kicking around at the moment! But I'll look at what's out there that's got what I need...

handsomeinked

Casual Member
There is some overhead in encapsulating/decapsulating PPPoE. If your TP-Link's firmware isn't optimised for this then that could limit your throughput. At least, that's a plausible explanation (proving it is hard without some sort of reference PPPoE server to connect to)

Depending on the reason you want to use the TP-Link, there are options you can try. For example, if it's because the TP-Link has better wifi coverage, then you ought to be able to switch your TP-Link into AP (bridge) mode, disable its built in DHCP, and just use it as a wireless access point hanging off the BT router.
The AX6000 is designed for up to 2Gbps full duplex PPPoE connections, so should be okay, I have set it to your suggestion using it just as a Wifi access point essentially and the speed is fine, or having it run as a router and turning DHCP etc off on the BT Hub and the speed is fine. If the router were an issue I would expect it to show here.

Meatball

ULTIMATE Member
There are recent firmware updates for both V1 and V2. Mostly these are to address the WIFI bugs. The router also includes Trend which may behave differently depending on source.

Uh_Oh_broadband

Casual Member
Have you got the Trend Micro Homecare stuff all turned off? My experience on Asus routers is it can slow it down as it does it in the CPU and not hardware NAT acceleration.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Shell Energy £20.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £75 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo code: BIGBANG
  • Virgin Media £27.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4204)
  2. BT (3181)
  3. Politics (2149)
  4. Building Digital UK (2042)
  5. Openreach (1995)
  6. FTTC (1931)
  7. Business (1866)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1629)
  9. Statistics (1525)
  10. 4G (1397)
  11. FTTH (1372)
  12. Virgin Media (1301)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1251)
  14. Fibre Optic (1246)
  15. Wireless Internet (1244)
  16. Vodafone (940)
  17. 5G (923)
  18. EE (920)
  19. TalkTalk (832)
  20. Sky Broadband (795)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules