Sponsored Links

BT Helpdesk - do they know anything ??

Well went with BT BB on 7th Sept

Day 1) - unable to use pop3 email - called and was told account not activated - call uk support and was sorted

Day 2 - 10
various connection speeds - but downloads always at 60k (480kbps) - was told to wait till 17th Sept went everything should be set but to actually ring on the 19th Sept

19th Sept - phoned support to advise still problem with download speeds - had already done speedtest via bt test account - still receiving same dl speeds even though connected at 2mb - was told to ring uk number (150) as my account wasn't activated - done this and was put through to india again - re-explained everything and while on phone my dl speeds shotup to 753kbps then 940kbps - they also advised they needed to look into it and ring me on the 20th

Today - called uk (150) and managed to speak to someone who confirmed my account was fully activated - also asked about the MSR reset as if dl were only 60k during the tests no matter what speed i connected at then surely it was a false reading and the tests should be done again - they agree and said will put through to helpdesk so i could arrange this.

speaking to helpdesk - and explained again the problem - they wanted me to disable my antivirus and firewall on my pc - not sure why but they reckon it is affecting the connection - told i wasn't at home so couldn't but like to know why it would be affecting connection when everything was fine before moving to bt i was on 1mb connection with 980kbps downloads and that speed increased when speaking to someone last night.

have also explained i only want an MSR reset - is this too hard for them to comprehend - not only that what would turning off av and firewall on pc have on the dl speeds and what are they wanting to check - especially as the bthomehub has firewall on as standard

wait till i tell them i've got windows vista 64bit or even linux - now that will be fun....

I am going to sign up with BT Option 3 and use Linux is that a problem with them?

It should make no difference at all except my computer will spit out their CD. As far as the connection is concerned it doesn't make any difference what OS you use but there are not many who mention they support Linux - although they all do but think the world is built around M$ and a few iMACs.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5508)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2535)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2260)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1971)
  9. Statistics (1787)
  10. 4G (1662)
  11. Virgin Media (1617)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1459)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1389)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules