Sponsored Links

Bt openreach are beyond belief

Earlier today i was using the phone during a call it went dead, not dial tone ,nothing apart from the green call button flickering for a couple of secs the ADSL then followed
After a short time the ADSL came back with huge increases in attenuation affecting both upstream and downstream , and a fraction of my normal sync(5mbps down and 1.1 up) of 16.5 -17mbps and 1.7-8up Annex M

Then it died again, for a short time ,then established a near normal sync again, and the phone was again working,

So i though maybe openwound doing something at my PCP or FTTC work maybe, Upon walking down our street sure enough there are several openreach vans near to the cabinet ,

So i asked them if they where responsible for my call being interrupted , they replied no, we are cable engineers installing new cables into the PCP (FTTC cab link) maybe your line got disturbed but you shouldn't of lost service,

After an hour i returned to a phone not working the same as it wasn't earlier (no dial tone) unable to make or receive calls , ADSL service that's seriously degraded

After reporting it as a fault (which i believe this is not per se, more like negligence on open reaches part )
online they are giving an estimate of upto 5 days , they in my book should fix this within 24hrs as it is not a fault they have caused it,

kinda reminds me of two different stories..

one major outage down the road on a different exchange to myself seemed to have a knock on effect, it got me kicked from an ISP as it was never the same after and l kept on complaining l lost 3meg on my 6meg download speed!!! the engineer tried to charge me for changing my wiring stating the filters were wrongly set up but that kept me offline because he put two filters in-line.. thankfully got out of the charge tho.

as for the other time, a local shop got cut off seems BT were fitting a line down the road and decided to disconnect one shop and reconnect that same line to the new shop having a line put in so for a few hours calls for one shop were getting connected to another along with his broadband.

Sponsored Links
Generally speaking the FTTC change should go fairly smoothly, although connections can drop before reconnecting briefly. In fairness BT seem to have put quite a lot of effort into making sure that the work doesn't cause large outages for whole areas.

However any major works, from LLU upgrades to building new FTTC cabs, can potentially cause disruption to individual lines. Sometimes just the additional vibrations or bumping of existing cables is enough to affect a service.

I've been in the same situation as you and likewise had to wait a good week or so before the service returned to normal. Pretty poor but then if you want a faster fix you usually need to pay a lot more for a business service with a better care plan.

I have no telephony service , should i need to make an emergency call i can't , They are responsible,and should be held accountable, and the very least that they could do in such cases is get off the lazy asses and fix what they have broken, within a max time frame of 24hrs none of this bs we get , I the way they are treating customers is totaly unacceptable

As for their poxy Infinity never never never, BT as far as my telephony provider will soon be history there has to be better out there as these are clowns

Updated @ 1pm

Line telephone service now fully restored

Last edited:
Glad it is back but with the mess that the PCPs are normally in, it's pretty likely for at least one service to get broken while doing major changes like installing a brand new link cable or re-sleaving a cabinet.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Glad it is back but with the mess that the PCPs are normally in, it's pretty likely for at least one service to get broken while doing major changes like installing a brand new link cable or re-sleaving a cabinet.

Tom - www.mouselike.org
That maybe ,but only if the gel crimps aren't secured properly, as was the case with this line, one leg of the pair was disconnected plus it had to be my line didn't it, the PCP is congested with a lot of old dead pairs so that wouldn't help,All the dead unused cables should of already been removed according to the engineer, Perhaps a re shell is needed as the newer PCP cabs are deeper, so more room for cables Well the main thing is it's working again

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5467)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1607)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules