Sponsored Links

BT Peak Time Bandwidth Throttling

I am getting increasingly concerned about BT. It seems they are throttling bandwidth at peak times, I am on their original Option 4 package, 8Mbps, 50GB cap and £29.99 a month because I don't want to sign a new contract with them pending the new ADSL2+ connections coming to the area. I have been with BT since getting ISDN back in the 90s.

My download bandwidth has been throttled at around 300-500kbps during peak times 3pm to 12am (midnight). Before & after this time I am getting average download speeds of 6500kbps. Uploads speeds are fairly consistent at around 350-384kbps.

This has been a recent occurance for me, several weeks ago I was getting 2000-3000kbps during peak times, anyone else had a similar issue with BT?

If I decide to move away because of this throttling situation, would anyone recommend an effective replacement, I need speed & reliability and to be able to use my own equipment.

Regards

James

One of my friends uses a similar/old package to yourself and has reported something similar, have you tried asking BT about the problem? If you're looking for a replacement then IDNet, Zen, Fast.co.uk and or Be (O2) seem like fairly safe bets among others.

Basically I have called BT and a lovely Indian woman tells me I have been limited because of their Fair Usage Policy and to call their FUP department to discuss the matter.

Which means I have been limited to 512Kbps from their peak hours.

Because I don't want to get stuck with a new 18 month contract, I am limited to a £29.99 monthly fee & a 50GB total cap (with 30p GB overage). I have a feeling I am going to be stuck with the restriction.

I do note they contacted me with an email saying I had used 111GB last month, its only a rare occurance I go above my 50GB allowance, I think I've only even been above it once or twice since I had ADSL installed.

All I know is that they didnt inform me that they were limiting bandwidth on my account until I called them this evening.

I will call their FUP department tomorrow and see what they say. I have a feeling I will need to migrate.

I am looking at Aquiss as an alternative, they seem to be more transparent provider. Does anyone have any good/bad things to say about this provider?

Regards

James Harkin

Sponsored Links
Does £29.99 / month include line rental?

BT Total Broadband Option 4 is no longer available from BT, it was £29.99 a month and did not include line rental.

They reorganised the options available and with a new 18 month contract they have a lower priced Option 3 with unlimited downloads subject to FUP, which is £24.99 a month and also does not include line rental.

Regards

James Harkin

I moved to Aquiss from VM after the phorm news outbreak. I cannot find any fault with them at all, I have a good connection and play some online games in the evening without noticing any speed drops. I listen to online radio which has not needed to buffer since I left VM yet with VM it was always buffering.

Just to confirm that my throttling never was removed, therefore I decided to move to Aquiss, on a business plan which is £3 more than I was paying for with BT. I am getting between 5Mbps & 6.5Mbps download speed and a consistent 800-810Kbps upload. They also will not restrict bandwidth for heavy usage, but charge £1 per GB over the agreed plan. Plus with a 1 month rolling contract they will upgrade & downgrade packages given 10 days notice.

They have very good technical support, they answered my questions in a timely manner and set up POP3 email accounts within a few hours of requesting them.

Another plus is that they have said that they will upgrade to 21CN 24Mbps ADSL2+ as soon as local exchange is upgraded, which means August for me!

So far, so good. They are not the cheapest, but I want quality service and don't mind paying...

Regards

James Harkin

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules