Sponsored

BT problem but Isp's get the blame.

Dementis

hi all,

This is basically the total amount I wanted to put in the fast.co.uk review but went over the 500 words.

Lets get 1 thing straight to start with, there are 100s of isp's, yet they all have to use BT lines. Over the last 10 years or more I have been with AOL, Pipex, Firefly, Zen and even BT themselves, some good some bad but over that period of time if there was ever a problem it was usually BT at fault with there terrible lines and not the isp. 1 house I lived at the phone lines coming from the outside of the house to the master box inside the house were 30 years old, but i was not allowed to replace them my self as they are BT owned, but they wouldn't replace them even though they were rotten and brittle as the line still worked, sadly a week later a tree blew down and broke the line and was then fixed. ;)

The last 18months I have been with sky and had a good all in 1 sky package which included adsl 8mbit, I was getting roughly between 5800kbps to 6100kbps, because of my 2mile distance from the local exchange I didnt expect the full amount of 7200+kbps. But come 4pm to 10pm weeknights and most weekends this would drop to quarter and my latency ms would go from 90ms to 700ms when online gaming. So time for a change and decide to get what you want and pay for it.

Im an avid online gamer so latency MS counts for me especially when my family also enjoy there moments online, from watching f1 live streams to bbc live streams and you tube.

I migrated to Fast.co.uk 3 months ago now and have there 45gb a month allowance option. Migration was normal time for any isp of 7days, and then the 10 days of settling in period after as normal as this is all due to BT speedy response.

Sadly over the past 3 months our 6100kbps has gone down and down, today 8th July 09 our Downstream is at 2100kbps which is up from last week of 1800kbps, non-the-less our MS is always good at a constant 24ms.

We constantly phone Fast.co.uk at there opening hours and get through 1st time every time as they have no queue system and they phone you back also unlike other isp's and try there upmost each time to help, for that they are excellent 10 out of 10.

Fast told us that a BT engineer will be out to us as soon as they had a date to check the lines outside the house and not the interior. We were phoned a day later off fast to say a BT engineer is on his way on the 1st June 09. My wife took a day off work as the time could be from 9am upto 6pm. At 8.50am that day my wife put a note on the door brb popped son to school and took our 9yr old to school 2miles down the road and got back to the house at 9.00am. To her amazement the BT engineer had stuck a crumpled card through the letter box to say he had been there at 8.45am and no one was about and left. BT then charged Fast for £180.00 which then got passed onto ourselves for not being there when the engineer called.

In the last 3 months from every phone call to fast we have done every little instuction they have asked us to do from removing the bt plate and putting the adsl modem directly into the socket, we have bought a brand new modem router, filters and internal lines to have the same results. Its not fast its not any other isp at fault its just lazy fat cat BT.

Fast.co.uk are good, you pay for what you get, good support on the phone no waiting.

Excellent for online gaming from TFC2 to WOW, never have more than 45ms and usually sits happily at 24ms on WOW.

Live downstream (live f1, bbc and youtube) is poor at the moment as of the situation with BT fat cats dont want to go to our local exchange and find out why we lost our 6100kbps down to 2100kbps.

Last edited:

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Personally I'd start a complaints procedure about the £180 charge to start with, although I'd open it with BT and not Fast.co.uk since that side of the engineers visit is not the ISPs responsibility. Even if you've already paid it's worth complainin. BT probably won't do anything but after 8 weeks you can escalate it to an ADR and they'll probably reach a compromise and help you get some of the cash back. Check out this page for details of what to do - Official procedures:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/new/complain/complain.shtml

As for the broadband performance issue, could you post your router stats so we can see if there are any unusual elements at work?

koala

Hm I am having very similar problems. Fast answer the phones immediately and are very helpful. I too have replaced router etc etc and have been told that my problem has been raised with BT - although no BT visit promised. I get 7000kbps in the morning up until about 9.30 am from then on I get between 1000kbps and 500kbps sometimes less, until 6.00pm or so when my speed goes back up. Speed is also fine at the weekends. So - my speed issues are just 9.30 - 6.00 Monday - Friday - very strange. This has gone on for some time now with no resolution. I do speed tests as requested but with no outcome although I believe Fast to be chasing the issue with BT. So what is going on I just don't know. There is certainly nothing wrong my end or my speed would be consistently low? As I work from home this problem is becoming very frustrating.

Last edited:

fast

ISP Rep
Hi Koala,

The issue Dementis is with his sync speed (physical speed back to the exchange), where as from your message I guess that is always OK for you and it's the throughput?

Be very happy to take a look at the case, if I'm not involved already and make sure everything is being done for you if you want to drop me an e-mail, or PM so I know who you are?

Speed faults are one of the main things we deal with, ranging from sync speed, to throughput - some can take time to fix but we won't stop until it's fixed for you :)

Cheers

Mark

Dementis

Hi all

Just a quick update, this last 2 weeks we have had a BT line engineer come to the house twice and check our lines with no errors on the line, the BT engineer said we were lucky to have the 2mbit that we have and that he couldnt see that we ever had any better.

Today Fast phoned us to say that BT have done a possible lift and shift at our local exchange and we now receive 5.6mbit.

All I can say is Hats off to Fast for pushing and kicking BT to get it sorted.

Again if you want good service, prompt help, and something getting done then this is the ISP to be with.

I cant thank them enough, I now have my Cake and I can eat it to myself.

I have great MS for online gaming and a good helping of Mbit for F1 live streaming for me and CBBC for our son.

Also to Mark at Fast.co.uk, Thanks for putting up with all the flak off the other half on the phone when I wasnt there. You def deserve a pay rise for that alone.

adeys

ULTIMATE Member
sounds like i got same problem my d/l speeds are no way near what i used to get what used to take 1hr half to do now takes 7 hrs :mad: i know fast do what they can but i cannot afford to pay for something im not getting
im on 110 gig allowance :cool:

ok i'll edit the above i found a european/uk server as suggested by mark hey presto it worked getting full d/l now :laugh:

i'll tell ye how good fast is i think over last 2 days ive emailed back n forth fast about 15 emails with very quick replys

Last edited:

drissa

Casual Member
Very true. I'm getting 600 Kbps if lucky. Watching jpegs peel down reminds me of retro dial up... :crap:

Again, it sounds like a BT issue and Fast are on the case. But it begs the question of how much longer ISPs can boast about speeds when so little is in their direct control.

I'll give BT some time to sort it out, but will look into alternatives.

drissa

Casual Member
Well done to Fast. They were calling or texting me regularly, letting me know that they were onto BT to sort the issue. Everything seems to be sorted this evening, with fast speeds again.

drissa

Casual Member
...and slowed to a crawl yet again. Fast.co.uk have apparently done all they can and the fault is some kind of invisible force that nobody understands and BT won't look into.

I can't fault Fast.co.uk for customer services and communication. But ISP services seem to be entirely dependent on line issues which can take ages to resolve, if they can be resolved at all.

Down to 213 Kbps this evening. This *text box* took 5 seconds to render.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2196)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1606)
  5. Politics (1424)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1098)
  9. FTTH (1072)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1036)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (579)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules