Sponsored Links

BT Smart Hub 2 Wifi Band / SSID Splitting

Jasonm

Pro Member
Hi all,
Will get connected to BT FTTP on Monday and was wondering if the Smart Hub 2 still doesn't allow to have two SSIDs (one for the 2.4Ghz and one for the 5Ghz band)?
If that's the case, do you know if the Openreach engineer would be okay with me using my TP-Link Archer C7 (and PPPOE I believe) instead?
Thanks a lot :)

Thanks mate! Hope it'll work fast enough... Seen some posts online where people were struggling to get the full 900mbps on their own routers...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would keep your SH2 but turn off wireless. Turn off dhcp on your Tplink (I’d also give it a static ip) connect it to the SH2 and use it as a wireless hub.

You probably know this, but you won't be able to use the BT-supplied voice service unless you keep the SH2 as the router.

If that's a requirement, then I agree with the idea of separate wireless access point(s). If you didn't have the TP-Link already then I'd go with dedicated wireless access points, e.g. Unifi AC Lite.

I would let the engineer go ahead and set up the smart hub 2, they likely won’t set up a third party one for you anyway. Then you can use whatever you like once they are gone.

in general they won’t care what you use but if you ever have a fault they won’t do much for you until their own equipment is plugged In again.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,
Will get connected to BT FTTP on Monday and was wondering if the Smart Hub 2 still doesn't allow to have two SSIDs (one for the 2.4Ghz and one for the 5Ghz band)?
If that's the case, do you know if the Openreach engineer would be okay with me using my TP-Link Archer C7 (and PPPOE I believe) instead?
Thanks a lot :)

I'm sure you think there's a great reason to split them to begin with, but there isn't.

I'm sure you think there's a great reason to split them to begin with, but there isn't.
I had issues in the past with an Android device that would constantly disconnect to change frequency making it’s connection unusable until created both SSIDs

I had issues in the past with an Android device that would constantly disconnect to change frequency making it’s connection unusable until created both SSIDs

Then get the device sorted instead of degrading the Wireless service for every other device on the network.

Then get the device sorted instead of degrading the Wireless service for every other device on the network.
Not had any issues with them being split after years of it being configured that way. I don't use that device now so it's not an issue anymore.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the responses... I'll try with my tplink tomorrow and report back... I think a lot of third party routers have issues because of the MTU settings... And yes - indeed, I've got good reasons for having the WiFi bands split in two ssids... Also got a unifi AP on top of my tplink router - but don't wanna use the sh2 on bridge mode to save energy and free up a power socket :) Let's hope the tplink performs ok :)

Well... The light is still orange... Got conflicting information from BT/Openreach.... Let's hope I'll have internet again, soon (and then I can check if my TPlink router works ok)

OK... My TP-link Archer C7 v5 seems to cope well enough with the 900 BT connection... Maybe slightly slower to move the needle - but the high speeds are pretty much identical to the BT Smart Hub 2

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules