Sponsored Links

BT vs EE FTTP Installation

Flagrag

So my local area has gone live this week with Openreach FTTP and myself along with a number of people in the street have placed orders today for the new service.

So one of my next door neighbour placed an order with EE at 10:15 am and was offered an install for 19/01 I then called BT at 10:30am to be told to soonest they can do mine is 1/02 then my other next door neighbour called EE this afternoon to be offered 20/01. All three households are upgrades with latest SmartHubs and requiring ONT to be fitted

So anyone know why the longer delay for BT than EE all being fed from the same CBT and all taking 900Mbps packages. Is it simply a case of EE paying Openreach for an expedited service ?

Also it appears other people on our small estate are being told 1st week of Feb by BT but Vodafone are quoting sooner

BT might not have their backhaul at the exchange sorted fully. So delaying slightly. A couple of weeks though neither here nor there in the grand scheme. Enjoy.

Thanks Pheasant- That’s interesting that it could be backhaul related I know BT already have something already in place for FTTP as other streets have been live for a few months now . So may be capacity upgrades that they are waiting on rather than a service level difference with OR

Sponsored Links
It may depend if your job can be done in a single visit, or if the route feeding your home is highlighted as needing a 2-step installation, an engineer may come out a couple of weeks before your installation date to check the ducts are clear, do a rod/rope, pole check for a hoist or TM, or make sure there will be no hold up’s on the day.

One issue is if your current feed is a buried cable and the need for a new duct to a home, this needs a permit to work signing and civils involvement doing before your planned go live date.

GreenMeanie- This is a brand Community fibre project so the install work was only finished last week and we have blue rope already pulled through to the CSP by the front door from the CBT.

Since my original post I have found out of others in my street who have gone with other providers and have installs next week but BT remain firm they cannot do any better than 01/02 even had a a manager try to arrange an expedited appointment due to an order error.

However Openreach cancel it and return it back to 2nd February, Nearby streets have had FTTP for months and I know people on BT, So it looks like it may be that BT are waiting on more backhaul capacity before allowing any more FTTP customers in the area i just hope this upgrade goes as planned and does not get pushed back.

I would have thought EE use BTW backhaul, but could be wrong. There might be different business processes between BT and EE; for example, maybe BT have a longer delay for shipping out their Smarthub.

However, if you're saying Openreach rejected the order, then maybe it's an issue with your particular property - perhaps there is a known problem with the ducting or access (e.g. cherry picker required)

Enter your own address into the BTW wholesale checker, and then one of the neighbours who are getting a quicker install, and see if there are any differences - especially things like "KCI2 assure" or details next to "FTTP is available" in the bottom text section.

Thanks Candlerb- I have checked both my details and my neighbours they all say the same sort of thing

Our records show the following FTTP network service information for these premises:-Single Dwelling Unit Residential UG premises served by 2.5 Inch plastic duct 56.

FTTP is available and a new ONT may be ordered

All properties are served by underground ductwork and connect to same CBT from what I got told at build stage, I have checked I have a smart hub 2 and neighbour has latest EE hub, so can only think of a BT network issue that they are awaiting to resolve as I have found out this afternoon another resident on our road has placed order online today with BT and again offered 3rd Feb as soonest date

Sponsored Links
I really wouldn’t worry or read too much into it, given what you’ve said about the ducts being freshly roped up to the CSP etc etc.

There’s just 2 weeks difference between the earliest install date for EE and the dates you were offered for BT.

It could even be something as simple as the mandatory cancellation / cooling off period, being rather strictly observed by BT Retail before they’ll send out Openreach to do the splice and install the ONT.

Well I have had an update today, I got a call from a member of the BT team as I asked them to try and find out why for the delay.

The advisor seemed quite knowledgable and advised that he had been informed by the network team that, Although there is an active BT cable link in my exchange for FTTP but that needs a capacity increase hence why no further BT customers can be enabled until 01/02.

Not sure if this is call centre waffle but he seemed quite convinced so happy to accept that explanation

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules