Sponsored Links

BT WiFi issue via FTTP & BT discs

Hi,
As a newbie to this forum, I'd welcome any help please on an ongoing issue I have with BT.
I've FTTP, keep experiencing WiFi drop out and frequent very slow speeds down to 3MB (stopping video calls etc.). BT pushing me around in circles, Openreach been out a few times over last year, all fine apparently into the premises. BT Home Hub tech guy reset discs, hub apparently has latest firmware/patch (although not told me what date yet), swapped router bands (Home Hub 2), tried turning 5Ghz off .... BT clearly have an issue which they can't (or not prepared) to answer. I can see a Hub 3 in development. They've said if can't sort they'd look at paying for a new router ... any advice on what I should look at? I need something powerful that can reach 30m-50m and through old house walls?
Appreciate any comments, thoughts, advice please :)
Andrew

Hi,
As a newbie to this forum, I'd welcome any help please on an ongoing issue I have with BT.
I've FTTP, keep experiencing WiFi drop out and frequent very slow speeds down to 3MB (stopping video calls etc.). BT pushing me around in circles, Openreach been out a few times over last year, all fine apparently into the premises. BT Home Hub tech guy reset discs, hub apparently has latest firmware/patch (although not told me what date yet), swapped router bands (Home Hub 2), tried turning 5Ghz off .... BT clearly have an issue which they can't (or not prepared) to answer. I can see a Hub 3 in development. They've said if can't sort they'd look at paying for a new router ... any advice on what I should look at? I need something powerful that can reach 30m-50m and through old house walls?
Appreciate any comments, thoughts, advice please :)
Andrew
Ring tech support on 150 and nicely demand a new smart hub. They will provide no doubt as they have for me before. The BT Discs WILL NOT work with a third party router so your best bet is another smart hub.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. I've had a 2nd hub already, so suspect it's something else? Did you have the same problem?
No I didn’t have the same problem, I’m on FTTC but one of my older smart hubs (1st get) saw the lights during a thunderstorm so I told BT I wanted another one and they sent it to me without even asking why. They have a duty to replace it because it is in warranty as long as your in contract with them and any BT Kit given to you after March 2020 belongs to BT anyways.

"30m-50m and through old house walls"

Theres your problem. You need a route for the signal to dog-leg around or above the thick walls (or through a door) by moving the discs or through the walls by cabling/powerline.

What is the network speed on Ethernet?
What is the speed on the Smart Hub 5Ghz (discs all off) ?
Assume BT Complete (Black discs). Hub + Discs up to three (making mesh of 4 which should be ok for a 5/6 bedroom home).
How many do you have?
The BT App should show whether they are establishing their Mesh correctly
Hub + 1 should be OK for a small house
Hub + 2 creating a triangle should cover a good sized 4/5 bedroom house and steer round obstacles
If hub is tucked away somewhere which will restrict a 5Ghz signal use Ethernet cable or Powerline to the first disc or more (as TBM suggests).
See attached the layout of disks can vary depending on the shape of your house. WIFI signal is often better downwards from landing/through ceiling and open space rather than through thick walls bathrooms etc.
If 3 disks + hub not sufficient for your home then suggest a WIFI survey and alternative components as it sounds bespoke.

Attachments

• Mesh Layouts.jpg
    Mesh Layouts.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 163
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules