Sponsored

Bulldog About To Quit Broadband Retail Market?

paul45

ULTIMATE Member
Bulldog (following a string of hints here on ISPR) is thought to be poised to quit the retail broadband market.

According to sources within the company, C&W will announce early Thursday morning that with immediate effect Bulldog will focus purely on the wholesale market. The rapid success enjoyed by Carphone Warehouse, with its hugely popular 'free' broadband offer, is understood to have forced C&W into the decision, with sources pointing out that Carphone Warehouse signed up a third of a million customers in three months, nearly double Bulldog's total of 200,000 after two years
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,39020336,39273829,00.htm

paul45

ULTIMATE Member
Given Bulldogs track record, insufficient customers on unbundled exchanges to return a profit, plus recent developments in the market place (i.e., CPW’s TalkTalk ‘free’ broadband) causing enormous downward pressure on charges, it can hardly come as a surprise that Bulldog have more or less given up.
The next development for C&W will no doubt be the eventual sale of its ISP business and customers.
JP has already unsuccessfully tried to talk up the price of Bulldog (remember when just a couple of months ago, he said how valuable Bulldog was to C&W – yeah right! ) but since then the value of ISPs has diminished even more.

I could be wrong, but if Bulldog was sold, the cash would certainly help boost C&W accounts for a year and may even help the directors receive their massive cash bonuses (more than £20m each) they are seeking to win approval for.
I doubt that would give much consolation to the 150 staff who will be losing their jobs as a result of Bulldog’s announcement today.

Darkspark

ULTIMATE Member
I can see how this means the are abandonoing the retail market.

From their website, the way they explain it, if you want to sign up with them, you can do, if you want to change package, you can do.
THe only thing they mention that makes the announce worth mentioning, is that they are going to focus on wholesaling their product.

TRIaXOR™

ULTIMATE Member
Paul45, C&W aint selling Bulldog, where the hell you got that idea from I dunno, Bulldog are to stop providing Broadband services for the Retail market such as residential and business and switch as of July 1st to Wholesale, in effect, killing off its ISP business, but, Bulldog isn't going anywhere as you keep gleefully reporting (you work for the register by any chance? :p), but in my view, im guessing Bulldog is gonna be rebranded in name and in nature, however, where this leaves it's existing userbase, is a mystery, more than likely they (myself included) will be transferred to 1 of the Wholesale Supplyee's..

Darkspark

ULTIMATE Member
That actually amkes sense. They are still offering residential, but wont advertise it. So you join it if you know about it effectively. Word of mouth business. Dont other ISP operate this way? Im sure easynet did before they created a residential branch (ukonline).

paul45

ULTIMATE Member
Paul45, C&W aint selling Bulldog, where the hell you got that idea from I dunno
TRIaXOR, you keep misreading my posts.
Where have I said they are selling bulldog?

I think you'll find that I've discussed the possibility - and with the turn of each event @ C&W the liklyhood becomes more of a probabilty each time.
So, I repeat....I have not said C&W are selling Bulldog (but I bet C&W would be more than tempted if they could get the right price for it - which they're not going to get in the present climate, meanwhile therefore, Bulldog will be left running on tickover)

Try reading between the lines of what exactly is happening at C&W and in the broadband market in general. If a company isn't going to expand its user base (Bulldog - no more sign-ups after July,so no growth) and offer triple or quad play, or give broadband as a value added service rather than a revenue generator, then they are in trouble. Pluthero knows exactly that and (IMO)that is why he will no longer promote it as a service and stop signing up new customers.

TRIaXOR™

ULTIMATE Member
fair enough BUT can we agree on this, I dont see C&W Ditching bulldog as a Business, but WILL ditch it as an ISP (this is what I see between the lines)

paul45

ULTIMATE Member
Yes, I think you're right there....
Bulldog Wholesale will remain with C&W for the foreseeable future, Bulldog ISP & it's customer base, will (or should I say 'could at the right price') be eventually sold on.

Sad thing for me to suggest on a friday night, but if you're bored like me atm, there's quite an interesting article on Zdnet you may like to read.
Doesn'tmatter if you agree with it or not, but you may nevertheless find it some food for thought - the item is called something like 'The ISPs are dead..long live'
http://comment.zdnet.co.uk/other/0,39020682,39274204,00.htm

Whatever, have a good weekend TRIaXOR.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2510)
  2. FTTP (2198)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1426)
  6. Openreach (1418)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1098)
  9. FTTH (1074)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1038)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (907)
  14. 4G (899)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules