Sponsored

Bulldog or not to bulldog

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Just wondering the opinions of people who are using Bulldog (the 1 or 2mb service). Im looking at migrating but im worrid about the 12minth contract so need to be sure before i move.

KDS

ULTIMATE Member
na if it's 1mb or 2mb you better off with some other isp. if u can get 8mb then go for it but tell bulldog to put a new line. and dont use the line. (it wont work half the time :()

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
think im going to go for the plusnet 14.99 package as my data transfer is nothing at all.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
cheers mate

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
;) think its time to change my sig to : Pipex Solo 2000 / Power Mac G5 (power mac edition) / OS X 10.4 Tiger

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
maybe Apple Intel Pentium 4 3.6hz Macintosh.

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
guess the imac might be: Imac P4.

They should rebrand the P4 the G6 or something.

Naimspeople

ISP Rep
Sorry can you explain why you want a 1 or 2MB connection if you do not download
a lot. Surely the point of a faster connection is to speed up the downloading of large files, which is why we do not have restriction on any of our broadband products.

mcurrie

Top Member
IS the telephone really that bad? im looking to get it instead of a BT line in a house im renting with 6 other students?

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Naimspeople said:
Sorry can you explain why you want a 1 or 2MB connection if you do not download
a lot. Surely the point of a faster connection is to speed up the downloading of large files, which is why we do not have restriction on any of our broadband products.

I would of thought being an ISP you would understand their are different types of internet useage. No i don't download large files from P2P or other sources. I have at least 5 machines that run on my network here so a faster connection is needed in order to support them all. I also stream a lot of internet radio, a faster connection allows me to stream, check my mail, surf the internet update my mac etc etc all at the same time. Just because i don't download gb after gb after gb doesnt mean i don't need a faster connection.

Naimspeople

ISP Rep
From the description of your requirements it would suggest you would be right to avoid a capped service. Streaming radio or video is downloading ,as a rough estimate streaming 2 hours of radio per day over a month equates to approximately 2GB of downloaded and lost data and that is one Mac doing one thing, let alone updating the software, downloading email, viewing web pages etc these activities are all downloading data.The other thing to mention here is, as a rule those that do download the large P2P files on a regular basis will have gone to 1MB and 2 MB connection to speed up their pastime activities and as a result the effects of a these large file downloads will be more apparent to other users on the faster connections than on a 512kbs connection. We know Plusnet say they will give priority to the low level users but with 5 machines attached to your connection what you need is a low contention ratio as 2MB connection can soon feel like a 1MB connection when there are a lot of users online.

Last edited:

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Point taken but my Pipex contention is 50:1 so hopefully i wont notice to much of a change.

Fudskie

Pro Member
Hi Onephat,
how u doin...........c u in the IRC ltr.

50:1 Vs 20:1 Hmmm..........

i think 30:1 is Plus nets contention for there 21.99 2MB service so this is a good in between with no caps if i remember rightly.

ManOfMeans

ULTIMATE Member
Fudskie said:
i think 30:1 is Plus nets contention for there 21.99 2MB service so this is a good in between with no caps if i remember rightly.

I would like some one from plusnet to confilm this as i would like to know where they got the figures and worked this one out.

KDS

ULTIMATE Member
mcurrie said:
IS the telephone really that bad? im looking to get it instead of a BT line in a house im renting with 6 other students?

yes it's only works when it feels like it :D and when it down it's says as "number doesn't exist "tat will confuse every one tat trying to call :(

I hate to say this but I miss BT line :(

saying tat Bulldog's internet is superb always on 4mb

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £21.95 (*24.95)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £22.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £22.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: 12 Months of Norton 360
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Community Fibre £20.00 (*29.50)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Double Speed Boost
  • Virgin Media £25.00 (*51.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00 (*28.00)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £29.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £29.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3301)
  2. BT (2959)
  3. Building Digital UK (1867)
  4. FTTC (1861)
  5. Politics (1851)
  6. Openreach (1774)
  7. Business (1616)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1399)
  9. Statistics (1366)
  10. FTTH (1361)
  11. 4G (1210)
  12. Fibre Optic (1138)
  13. Wireless Internet (1124)
  14. Virgin Media (1112)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1110)
  16. Vodafone (798)
  17. EE (798)
  18. TalkTalk (740)
  19. Sky Broadband (720)
  20. 5G (692)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules