Sponsored

Bulldog unstable connection & How to Fix it

MarkFez

When you initially sign up forBulldog and get your connection up and running, you will find it is unstable and you will be disconnected after about 20 minutes or so. This has happened to everyone i know who has signed up for Bulldog, including myself.

The problem is very easy to resolve. If you check your connection speed, you will probably see that you are getting more than the 4meg (or * as it is soon to be) you are paying for. Mine always connected at 6.4meg.

You need to contact Bulldogs customer support and asked them to get your service capped. This maybe a little painstaking though as it seems newer Bulldog staff are unaware what to do in this situation. I was lucky enough to get through to an experienced Customer Service agent who managed to fix the issue within 1 hour. This has also been my friends experience, although it did take some of them several calls before they got through to an angent who knew of this problem and what to do.

After my initial problem with the instablilty, i have had no other problems whatsoever and can only compliment Bulldog on an excellent service and amazing value for money, and now i will be upgraded to 8 meg for the same price as 4meg...how can anyone complain about that?

Hope this post helps some of you anyway.

MarkFez

Just like to add that i think alot of people will know they are getting more than 4meg but don't say anything to the CS rep about that...they just tell them that they have an unstable connection.....i could be wrong though.

Darkspark

ULTIMATE Member
this needs to be put on the ISP compaints page or the home page I guess.

Wouldn't it be in Bulldogs interests to just cap everyone on their service?
Or are some people getting 6.4MB, without the instability issues?

TRIaXOR™

ULTIMATE Member
@MarkFez
your probably syncing too high and your line doesnt like it hence the disconnections, find out what your SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio/Downstream Noise Margin) is in dB, if lower than 7dB thats the reason you maybe suffering dropouts, however, if you just got activated, bulldog will still be carrying out tests, these should be complete within 7 days and thats another reason why you maybe suffering from dropouts, if you have been activated with bulldog OVER 7 days, find out your Sync speed and have it lowered by contacting Bulldog :)

@darkspark
everyone IS capped to the max thier line can handle and then throttled down to 4Mb which I may point out is being upgraded to a max of 8Mb as we speak ;)

PJ35

Casual Member
@MarkFez
your probably syncing too high and your line doesnt like it hence the disconnections, find out what your SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio/Downstream Noise Margin) is in dB, if lower than 7dB thats the reason you maybe suffering dropouts, however, if you just got activated, bulldog will still be carrying out tests, these should be complete within 7 days and thats another reason why you maybe suffering from dropouts, if you have been activated with bulldog OVER 7 days, find out your Sync speed and have it lowered by contacting Bulldog :)

@darkspark
everyone IS capped to the max thier line can handle and then throttled down to 4Mb which I may point out is being upgraded to a max of 8Mb as we speak ;)
How do you find out what your SNR is?

I been having some connection probelm, namely random dc in the evening. I am on 8meg services adn get a conenction somewhere between 6.2 to 7.3 megs. Usually the dc starts after 10pm but recently is now starting anytime after 7pm.

I use their recommended speedtouch thompson usb modem (330) fro the connection. I've called tech support and they tells me teh same thing re-install my drivers and did this 3 times and have the latest drivers instaleld and still getting random dc in the evening.

Thanks

TRIaXOR™

ULTIMATE Member
ditch the 330, that is the worst modem on the planet for 8Mb speeds, get an ethernet modem/router, you wont regret it :)

I recommend the following, and are ADSL2+ Capable
Belkin 7633 (not from pcworld as they have .17 firmware and cant be telnetted)
Netgear DG834GT (not DG834Gv2, as it's chipset doesnt like bulldogs broadcom cards)
Speedtouch 585v6(i)

all these Modem/routers have broadcom chips in them and are highly compatable with the bulldog linecards for ADSL2+ (in case you wanna upgrade in the future)

Avoid any modem/router with the TI AR7 chipset, you will suffer on ADSL2+ (again, if you wanna upgrade in the future)

hope that helps :)

PJ35

Casual Member
ditch the 330, that is the worst modem on the planet for 8Mb speeds, get an ethernet modem/router, you wont regret it :)

I recommend the following, and are ADSL2+ Capable
Belkin 7633 (not from pcworld as they have .17 firmware and cant be telnetted)
Netgear DG834GT (not DG834Gv2, as it's chipset doesnt like bulldogs broadcom cards)
Speedtouch 585v6(i)

all these Modem/routers have broadcom chips in them and are highly compatable with the bulldog linecards for ADSL2+ (in case you wanna upgrade in the future)

Avoid any modem/router with the TI AR7 chipset, you will suffer on ADSL2+ (again, if you wanna upgrade in the future)

hope that helps :)
Beside, modems and router any NIC cards you can recommends? As my budget is very very tight being Unemployed like as I have seen them going for around like 25 pounds for one? Are they better fro like short term in say 6 months to 1 year as opposed to long term?

PJ35

Casual Member
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/products/a632x1y0z1p0s0n0m0

NICs are very cheap any 10/100TX will do imho, gigabit cards for the time being are just a waste of money as a load of switches out there (esp routers with built in modems) will only run at 100Mb

personally i'd go for this 1..

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?f5d5000&P=1
I was thinking along the ling of something like this (which I've seen fro sale at PC World fro 24.99 as opposed to the price shown). http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0291490985.1160439518@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfgaddjdeljhghcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=15&sm=6&tm=undefined&sku=754309&category_oid=-29781 So what you thinks? You knows of anything similar which is better? As I cant afford 70 to 90 quids for a router, or 40 odd quids for a new speedtouch modems etc. Max I can spend over a time is probably 20 to 30 quids top!

TRIaXOR™

ULTIMATE Member
unfortunately I dont have much experience with PCI Modems, maybe another member may shed some light? :)

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2508)
  2. FTTP (2192)
  3. FTTC (1656)
  4. Building Digital UK (1604)
  5. Politics (1423)
  6. Openreach (1416)
  7. Business (1236)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1070)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1035)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (896)
  15. Virgin Media (855)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (590)
  18. TalkTalk (577)
  19. Vodafone (516)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules