Sponsored

Can get Be but not O2

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
I have been a customer of Be for about a year now, and apart from a rocky start, they have been very good.

However, I recently took out a mobile phone contract with O2. Given that O2 owns Be I assumed I would be able to transfer to them and stay on their LLU line (and downgrade to a slower, cheaper package).

I duly requested my MAC code, and axplained why I was leaving. Within 24 hrs Be had supplied my MAC code (TBH I was expecting to have to see out the 3 month notice period, so this was a pleasant surprise).

So far so good.......

I go to the O2 website, put in my phone number only to be told that I can only have their BT-based offering (8mb for £17.50 - compared to the 24mb for £18 that I have now).

I had assumed that O2 could supply me through Be's network, that I currently use, so why can't they?

Weird....!

PeteK

ISP Rep
Hmm, maybe they are assuming (probably wrongly) that as you are already LLU, they won't pay an LLU to LLU lift and shift fee, but for some stupid reason will pay for a re-provide to IPStream?

It sounds like an internal database / admin error to me and I wouldn't have thought you needed a MAC code to move at all. Perhaps a call to their admin / sales crew and explain the situ might help. What they are saying is clearly tosh!

drsox

ULTIMATE Member
Sounds like your order with Be* was done by over-riding the LLU checker (if BT have your line length or postcode wrong! happens so often :s).

O2 refuse to over-ride this check.

If possible can you pop into irc (http://irc.bethere.co.uk) and have a chat to DIMOatBE, PAVELatBE or DEYANatBe who can probably confirm where the discrepancy lies.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
drsox - I'll give it a go - I live within sight of the exchange, so i'm not actually far from it!

Thanks

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
The fact you can see the exchange will not mean the cable comes straight to your home from the exchange it could go up and down avenues round blocks. BT were not economical in laying cables.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
True, but the fact I'm getting 14mb dl speeds suggest the copper distance isn't too great either.

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
Could it be that their LLU dslam has got no spare ports, and their software is too dumb to reassign you the port you'd be freeing up?

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
Dunno - haven't had a chance to chase them up yet.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
OK - got round to chasing them up. Submitted a query on their web form on Tuesday evening. Their response (recieved on Wednesday, incidentally) was:

There will be a logical explanation for this, more than likely I would assume BT are experiencing capacity issues at your local exchange. This is usually the case if we know O2/Be* have LLU presence however we are not able to take any new orders.

If you could provide us with your BT landline number, or if you know which BT exchange you are connected to we'll be more than happy to find out if this is the reason, and if not, find out what the reason is.
So their initial thought was the issue was something to do with BT having problems at the exchange - but this was a generic guess because I hadn't given them my exchange or phone number.

When I did give them my number (on Wedneday evening), this was their resonse (rec'd on Thursday):

Other incompatible Product
It looks like there's something on your landline which won't work with O2 Broadband. Your telephone provider should be able to tell you what's causing the trouble and how to fix it, so if you can, give them a ring.
So now they are saying there is something incompatible with O2, but which is obviously compatible with Be since I am actually using them :confused:

I'm on BT (obviously), and have caller display switched on, but that's it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Andy

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
It seems I can now transfer automatically between Be and O2 - whatever the problem was it appears to have been solved.

I'll be trying to transfer in the next couple of days, since I have my MAC key from Be.

It'll be interesting to see if O2 honour the Quidco deal!

Andy.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
Apparently I'm now connected to O2. Didn't notice at first since the Be router still worked (not surprising given it's the same network I suppose). I now have to return Be's router to them, which is fine by me since it overheated so much I had to turn the radiator down.

Just did a speed check, and my speed has gone down so I think I have been transferred. From the 11-13mb I was getting on the up to 24mb Be package, I now get 8mb on the 8mb package, and pay £10 less/month. Suits me!

The £60 cashback on Quidco has even tracked as well. Maybe in a years time I'll go back to Be and get some more :)

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: HYPER19
  • Vodafone £21.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Amazon Echo Plus
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Gift: None
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2428)
  2. FTTP (2040)
  3. FTTC (1613)
  4. Building Digital UK (1557)
  5. Politics (1355)
  6. Openreach (1352)
  7. Business (1191)
  8. Statistics (1055)
  9. FTTH (988)
  10. Mobile Broadband (984)
  11. Fibre Optic (948)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (891)
  13. Wireless Internet (873)
  14. 4G (858)
  15. Virgin Media (819)
  16. Sky Broadband (577)
  17. EE (564)
  18. TalkTalk (559)
  19. Vodafone (484)
  20. Security (399)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules