Sponsored Links

Can I get faster than half a meg?

Hello to you all,

I have a similar question to the one posted by Markb03. I live out in the stickes and only able to get a half meg connection. Is there anything I can do to get this higher??

I am with NDO on a Soho package and BT have already told me that my line gain is at its max and I cannot get a faster speed.

Please help.

Thanks

I had satellite prior to ADSL and found it a bit poor. But mind you that was a long time ago...

What about line bonding?? (Whatever that is...)

Sponsored Links
It could get expensive but you could bond two 512 connections. This will need two lines plus two internet connections but will give you 1mb down and 512K up approx.

Hi Kits,

Thanks for your reply firstly.

So to bond two lines I would need 2 ADSL lines from BT and 2 connections from an ISP right??

Scorpio said:
Hi Kits,

So to bond two lines I would need 2 ADSL lines from BT and 2 connections from an ISP right??
yes that is correct.

2 or more ADSL lines in the same premises.
Edited to add a link given me by an ISP rep.
http://www.firebrick.co.uk/

Last edited:
Scorpio said:
Hi Kits,

Line bonding would be a good thing to look but there are restrictions depending on the exchange your on some allow it some dont and it is one way to get a faster connection if everything is allowing.

To get them both to work in sync you will be best of building a router out of a low spec p3 or the likes with 2 pci modems and something like ipcop on it to make it work right, plus then if you need more speed and want up2 2+ meg depends on the amount of pci slots you have.

Have a word with your ISP see if they can find out or even be sneeky and ring up BT pretending you want to go to them and do it see what they say, or even see if a LLU provider is available as its their own equipment in the exchanges.

Is there an easynet or ukonline ISP rep on here as they may be able to answer the questions or even have it in development now and want a guinea pig.

On another note I wonder what that does for the contention its gona be what 1:12.5 if you have the 4 lines i wonder how much more stable that would make the connection speed?

Sponsored Links
Ok I will make some enquiries into line bonding as I am desperate for a faster download speed at least.

If anyone has any further info on this please let me know.

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated....

Mr J has pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Standard satellite is fairly expensive (only just starting to come below the three figure mark for monthly rental), where you get a superfast download speed. Unfortunatley, the uplink is 56k, and the latency on the connection is terrible. Also, as it's satellite; it can be affected by adverse weather conditions. Synchronous satellite is also available, but then you're talking stupid amounts of money (not for home use).

Cable is an option if your area supports it, though again, depending on where you live from the junction box it really does affect your speed. Along with ADSL, if you live outside 4km from your local exchange, you're going to struggle to get 512k, let alone anything else.

That bonding sounds like a good option though; if a little expensive on line rental. Let us know how you work this one out :)

Scorpio said:
Ok I will make some enquiries into line bonding as I am desperate for a faster download speed at least.

If anyone has any further info on this please let me know.

Thanks for the replies so far, much appreciated....

You could move.... ;) ...only joking... :)

I have enquired about line bonding and it does seem a bit pricey! What about any software programs, any hardware or something like Onspeed??

The option of moving is also on the cards!!

Sponsored Links
Onspeed will only work for browsing the web. If that's all you're going to use the connection for then it may be worth a try, but don't expect it to do anything for your download and gaming speeds.

MAdMaN said:
Onspeed will only work for browsing the web. If that's all you're going to use the connection for then it may be worth a try, but don't expect it to do anything for your download and gaming speeds.

Yeah I spoke to them and thats what they said.

:mad:

Scorpio I am sure you can build an old PC into a routerthat will bond the two connections. I will have to get hold of a friend after he finishes work and see if he will come here and post telling you what to do then all you need is two BT lines and two adsl accounts.

Sponsored Links
Kits said:
Scorpio I am sure you can build an old PC into a routerthat will bond the two connections. I will have to get hold of a friend after he finishes work and see if he will come here and post telling you what to do then all you need is two BT lines and two adsl accounts.

Sounds very interesting since I have a couple of old pc's that I can use. Please let me know if you can get further info on that.

Thanks alot!!

I have been told you can make a PC bond two modems but you have to fins an ISP that allows bonding. I am going to ask around to see what I can come up with.

Kits said:
I have been told you can make a PC bond two modems but you have to fins an ISP that allows bonding. I am going to ask around to see what I can come up with.

Its not only if the ISP will support it its if the exchange will aswell some will some wont.

and have a look at www.ipcop.com i think it is.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £26.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £17.00
200Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5505)
  2. BT (3513)
  3. Politics (2534)
  4. Openreach (2296)
  5. Business (2258)
  6. Building Digital UK (2243)
  7. FTTC (2042)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1969)
  9. Statistics (1786)
  10. 4G (1661)
  11. Virgin Media (1615)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1457)
  13. Fibre Optic (1393)
  14. Wireless Internet (1388)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules