Sponsored Links

can someone recommend some good VPN services?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark.J said:
It's very easy...
...so I had a look at it, thinking it might be worth using as an occasional free back-up.
Unfortunately, it's not so easy if, like me, you're running Linux - Winnie the Pooh doesn't recognise the existence of Linux at all so, while I'm glad you find it useful of course, the bear is a dead duck here.

I use encrypted SSH proxy connections for several months already and it is easier to install and use , works with any browser, any SOCK5 applications on Windows and Linux, so for me it is a good solution to be protected anonymous online when needed.

Hmm...
Well, if you're happy with it, fair enough, each to their own.
Personally, as one who has no interest whatsoever in illegal downloads, I steer well clear of people who openly encourage piracy - their name, pirateray.com, says it all really, and puts me off straight away.
"In the past 4 months:
13 of our servers have been banned or closed."
I expect they're quite proud of that fact. They're an obvious "up to no good" target, and I'd be surprised if their IPs aren't blocked by a lot of the sites I use, many of which are run by USA state or county authorities, whereas Oregon is the only one that I've had trouble with on VPNUK, and on further investigation turned out to be OK on a different server, so not a major problem.
As I say, each to their own, but personally I wouldn't touch an outfit like that with a bargepole.

They did indeed - they were definitely not on my list of possibles when I started looking around!

I'm happy with VPNUK, so I've stuck with them, but if anyone's looking for a cheapie, I'm told by a friend along the road that Private Internet Access are pretty reasonable. He says...
(1) They can occasionally be a little bit slow a busy times, but not to the extent that it's annoying.
(2) You can't send mail by default - he had to contact support and get them to whitelist the outgoing servers that he uses. Having done that, fine, no problems, so not a major stumbling block.
(3) He had trouble with uploading to his own website. Whether they would have also sorted that on request he doesn't know, because he found his own solution before he got around to asking them. Instead of using his old FTP programme, he tried using the "Fire FTP" Firefox add-on, with SFTP as the protocol instead of plain FTP, and that did the trick.

Not a tremendous selection of servers, just USA, Canada, UK, Switzerland, Netherlands and Romania, but he stuck his neck out and went for their bargain yearly price, 39.95 burger vouchers, which came to about £25.50, and says that for little more than £2 a month he's well satisfied.

Sponsored Links
Mulvad provide excellent and cheap vpn No records kept situated in Sweden. Any cutoffs and the net disconnects. Excellent for those needing privacy IE Journalists etc. Has own software all simple.
https://mullvad.net/en/

Yes, from the privacy point of view they're certainly worth considering - as long as you don't need a UK server. The choice of just Netherlands or Sweden ruled them out for me, I'm afraid.

Quite a useful article Gordon, thanks for linking that.

I wouldn't want to send sensitive business details over a VPN that monitored its users but one wonders how long it will be before the government makes a new rule for it, which wouldn't stop VPN's but might limit the choice. Of course anybody can setup a VPN.

Yes, I'll be surprised if they don't try something sooner or later - but I'll be equally surprised if someone doesn't come up with a way of dodging whatever legislation they dream up. :D

They'll always get you if they're determined, of course, I don't believe there's any such thing as 100% security, someone clever enough and persistent enough will break anything if they try hard enough - but if you make it more trouble than it's worth, they will only bother if they have good reason to suspect that you're up to no good.

Sponsored Links
its not an issue at the moment now, currently made my own vpn :D or well a friend made one on our second server which has done the job (tho l only use it to get around certain restrictions).

Personally I'll stay with VPNUK - I'm still happy with them, no problems, and ExpressVPN's price, although about 50p a month cheaper in theory if you go for the yearly option (which VPNUK don't offer, they only do monthly) is payable in burger vouchers so probably not significantly cheaper by the time your bank (or Paypal, whoever) has applied a currency conversion charge, certainly not worth changing providers for.

However, I see that they have an Australian server, which is something a friend of mine could do with (and VPNUK don't have), so thanks for mentioning them, they may suit her nicely.

Last edited:
Rather you than me.
It's PPTP only, and they are a bunch of peasants who can't even string a sentence together in reasonable English.

Interesting! I hadn't come across that one, their pricing method's not like most, purely data based rather than £x per month or per year. So, if it's only used for certain sessions, as you do, and not all the time, yes, it looks like very good value.
It would actually also work out cheap for me, as although I like to shove everything through the VPN, not just certain sessions, I don't go in for the music and video stuff at all so I'm a very low user.
I've bookmarked it for further investigation later (T&C, privacy policy, etc. - I like to read the lot before clicking anything!), may well give the free option a try and then go for the same one as you went for, 50GB for 12 dollars - at that price it could be worth me getting it as a back-up.
Thanks for mentioning it. :)

Hi ISPReview :)

We run a VPN Comparison site comparing the services based on price, server availability etc. It might help some of you who are after a VPN service make up your mind using our handy comparison table :- http://www.vpncompare.co.uk

We have also done a handful of reviews of providers like PrivateInternetAccess, BlackVPN, Proxy.sh and VPNPrivacy.com so you can see our speed test results and thoughts on the service provided, feel free to check them out :- http://www.vpncompare.co.uk/category/vpn-reviews/

I hope no one minds me posting up our site but I thought with the subject of this thread it might help you decide easier.

Bit spammy but interesting and relevant so I'll let you have that one :).

Bit spammy but interesting and relevant so I'll let you have that one :).

Thanks Mark, I promise to post no more links regarding our site unless of further relevance and I will run them past you or another moderator first.

I hope your users find our site useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules