Sponsored Links

Can Three change tariff without permission?

Bigyinuk

Pro Member
Hi. I was on a 12 month contract with Three at £8.22 pcm - this finished on Nov 23rd and went to a rolling one month continuing at £8.22. Recently received a txt from them to say they were moving me on to an Advanced Plan. Just phoned to find out what was going on, and they say that they have switched me to the new plan (same data allowance) but at £26 pcm!! I didn't think they could do this? I've sorted it by switching to an 8Gb plan for 12 months at £8, but are they actually allowed to do this, ie just switch your plan once you're out of your 12/24 month contract? Its never happened to me before with any provider and I've had mobile contracts with various providers for 30 odd years. Regards

I'm really bad with the legal aspect of all of this, but intuition would dictate that a contract bounds them to certain terms, like pricing, when the contract finishes they are no longer obliged to anything, so they were well within their rights to change the prices. It's not exactly clear whether the "rolling" thing was an actual contract or not, I would reckon it was.. not?
That's my view of it.

You are outside a 12 month contract and now on effectively a monthly one, so each month they can vary the terms in the same way you are free to leave each month free except for current months bill.

If you ring up and decline their 'Offer' they will offer you to best current online offer so look that up before the call so you know what it will be.

I did that last time and ended up paying less not more, its inertia selling. If 10% do nothing and end up paying £26 per month they are ahead.

Sponsored Links
I've been on "The One Plan" with Three for years. It has unlimited data and unlimited tethering. I pay around £12 per month. They phone me every few years saying the tariff is no longer available and that I have to move.

If they ever call you. Just tell them you are not interested in discussing your tariff and hang up. As you've hung up and not accepted a new tariff, they can't do anything.

I beleive they actually have to tell you they are forcing you off a tariff for it to be legal. So just hang up. They'll move onto the next one plan customer and that's you safe for another 2 years.

Most of their contracts should show on the bills you had x amount of discount applied every month for the initial term, and are now falling to their next best plan now yours has expired.
Haggle them. Unlimited advanced is only £16pm

One of not my grandparents was on an old Essentials plan with 4GB for £10 (not the best deal by far) and they sent them an email saying they had a month to select a new contract before they would be moved to £25/mth for the same allowance. One of the options they gave them was 8GB of data for £9. They went for that one and that’s the one they have been on to this day.

I've had a continuing awful experience with Three. You seem to be on the end of some also questionable behaviour.

My voting with your feet message is that there are a whole host of other low cost and large data providers out there besides Three. Leave and go elsewhere. Pay the one month at the large cost, and just get out.

Sponsored Links
I was on a Three 1GB/month plan for £5. After the contract ended and had rolled on for a few months, they wrote to tell me I couldn't have this any more, and would put me on a £9/month plan instead.

So I switched to Lebara: 3GB/month for £5 when bought through the MSE affiliate link, reduced to £2.50/month for the first 4 months, and no contract.

I've had a continuing awful experience with Three. You seem to be on the end of some also questionable behaviour.

My voting with your feet message is that there are a whole host of other low cost and large data providers out there besides Three. Leave and go elsewhere. Pay the one month at the large cost, and just get out.
Im fine with three, they provide the best speed and price in my area. When their current contract is up I'm going to move them onto a brand new one.

Im fine with three, they provide the best speed and price in my area. When their current contract is up I'm going to move them onto a brand new one.
I have been loyal to three (nee Hutchinson) since their Rabbit Phone. And believe me that is a long, long, long, time. In fact they are the acknowledge lowest cost provider pretty much anywhere for UK users. But their performance not just in my Warwickshire area, but just about anywhere I travel within the UK is appalling compared to other providers notably EE. And since their much publicised /building fastest 5G network/ advertising claim our mobile speed has dropped from LTE down to HSPA (and no 5G).

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules