Sponsored

Cannot connect - again

Gez

Today, Saturday, I just cannot connect.

It says verifying username and password, and after a long pause, refuses. Windows says that the server did not respond in a timely manner.

What's going on? This is happening too often.

stuartrutherford

Casual Member
Hi mate,

I've got the same problem. Can't connect all day so far, verifying name and password then timeout.

Since Christmas the service has become worse for me with about 5 redials required before I can get connected.

I'm wondering whether it's worth 30 quid a month now.:mad:

Any answers from Quik reps as to what the problem is, or did 10 million people get a pc for christmas and now want to use quik internet ?

DAB

Same problem, no service first thing, then briefly for 30mins or so, now nothing again, the number is unobtainable. No service on the 0845 having to use BT and Pipex PAYG

Bures

Top Member
no service

Yes, me as well - no service.
Had to fall back on my old onetel account.

Captain_Cretin

ULTIMATE Member
I know this sounds daft but have you checked that "Log on to network" hasn't mysteriously been ticked in the dial-up options.
this happened to me once and slows authentication beyond the default time-out setting.
Also try increasing the time-out setting to 90 secs just in case.

It might be all down to the network, but its always worth checking these things just in case.
Windows in all its forms is a erratic bugger sometimes.:)

Bures

Top Member
Cannot connect

What I found most frustrating about this connection problem was the lack of information on the Quik web site.
There appears to be no `Service` page telling customers of any problems. I spent considerable time trawling through loads of menus to find nothing apart from my own account details. That was no help whatsoever.
At one point I clicked on `home` and finished up with `Quik.com` and some ghastly picture

Could Dave Mitchell (Quik) give this some consideration please ?

DAB

I use a router to connect and all connection profiles (Quik, BT, Pipex & UK2) are the same, save for the username, password and number to dial. When it’s down it’s down and not a user problem. Also I called from a phone and got the unobtainable tone.

It’s working today, but guess what BT Connect/Openworld Business web Hosting is down, Great! Imagine if you bought a new car/telly/camera/computer and had to spend half (Alright not half, but when it doesn’t work it seems half) of you time on forums complaining about it! Why can’t Internet connections and Hosting work properly?

Connection problems 4th Jan 03

Good Morning to all

Happy New Year.

Apologies for not replying to recent posts. The system was denying access to about 50% of our users yesterday, and I spent all day just taking calls whilst the techies did their stuff. I personally returned all calls when the service returned.

With regards to the service page, somebody else requested this (mad2moons I think). We are likely to do this, but we have quite a few changes going on. The changes should speed the service, reduce contention ratios, (and we hope! provide contingency unmetered connectivity in the event that one route fails). So the bottomline is that the site will be made more useful later this month. I will post details ASAP.

For our business customers we are looking at improving the options for dedicated ports, with very competitive pricing.

For late night gamers we are still investigating a vampire slot.

We may also be launching a one way satellite option soon, and we are also investigating wireless broadband.

We provide business broadband, and we are trying to put together a plan that will provide Quik customers with excellent value for money.

With regards to contention issues, we are unfortunately having to be less tolerant with heavy abusers, but this means that non-abusers will have a better service.

Please note that I try and keep an eye on this bulletin board, and I think that I was reasonably fast in responding up to a few days ago. However, there are times when I cannot do this, and therefore the official route is to telephone our support line. Even outside of our quoted hours, for most of the time (except early morning hours) you will be connected to a live person, or at least be able to leave a message. Also, we have not yet implemented the premium rate support, and so calls are at normal BT rates.

Once again, apologies for Saturday, but we are working hard to make major changes to our services, and a fair amount of the leg work for this has been carried out over the past few weeks.

Regards

David Mitchell

Bures

Top Member
Connection Problem

Thanks David for responding, it was me who requested the service page.
I also couldn`t find a tech support number on the Quik site which was easy to find.
Keep up the good work

(Alan)

jujugb

Casual Member
Thanks for the answer.

I can connect now, but some website are not accessible.

www.yahoo.fr is one of them.

If I connect with freeserve, it works fine, but with quick it is not working.

Any idea ?

Julien

DAB

David,

Thanks for the response, Saturday was straightforward, no access, but Sunday, as detailed in this email sent to Hayden was very odd, with email not downloading and some WebPages not being accessible whilst other were fine. At first I thought that you were blocking the competition (Ha Ha!) as I couldn’t get to www.btconnect.com to check my emails that way.

Copy of email sent to Hayden

I can’t access the following pages when connected to Quik, but can when connected to BT or Pipex. There is no error message such as the page can’t be displayed, just a white screen and the progress bar slowly creeping up.

www.bt.com
www.btconnect.com
www.squaretrade.com
www.cbi-plc.com
http://www.hsbc.co.uk/ebank/default.htm (not the login page beyond)
http://www.zdnet.co.uk

I can’t successfully receive email from pop3.btconnect.com, it tries to download but fails

I can access the following pages when connected to Quik

http://ispreview.co.uk
http://www.hsbc.co.uk/ebank/default.htm
www.rswww.com
http://www.ebay.co.uk
http://www.consumereducation.org.uk/news/midband.htm
http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=13770

Regards

David

Busy Signals

For info

I note the post re busy signals, and I am currently on the local rate service. We advertise a 10:1 contention but are running at about 6:1. Unfortunately, we have some users who think that unmetered is unlimited. We have never used that description, but I think that some other ISP's have. Anyway, we today started to suspend services to a number of individuals who abuse the service and make it difficult for other users to connect. We already have users who have exceeded the maximum limit for the month of January.

Also, we are adding more capacity, but this iscoming from another telco and won't be ready until about 20th January.

We expect the busy signals to reduce as the week progresses.

Regards

David Mitchell

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £18.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 30Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Code: SPRING19
  • Vodafone £21.00 (*23.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £22.50
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2388)
  2. FTTP (1967)
  3. FTTC (1585)
  4. Broadband Delivery UK (1540)
  5. Politics (1323)
  6. Openreach (1320)
  7. Business (1168)
  8. Statistics (1028)
  9. Mobile Broadband (953)
  10. FTTH (949)
  11. Fibre Optic (933)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (866)
  13. Wireless Internet (854)
  14. 4G (837)
  15. Virgin Media (799)
  16. Sky Broadband (572)
  17. TalkTalk (551)
  18. EE (548)
  19. Vodafone (461)
  20. Security (391)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules