Sponsored Links

Cant get Wifi Calling with Asda/Vodafone

Asda SIM. Confirmed worked on generic Tablet for WIFI Calling and VoLTE on Android 11 so there appears to be no discrimination against devices on ASDA Vodafone.

Asda SIM. Confirmed worked on generic Tablet for WIFI Calling and VoLTE on Android 11 so there appears to be no discrimination against devices on ASDA Vodafone.
Yes, it's odd that most of the Pixel phones won't do WiFi calling on ASDA. ASDA confirm they don't work and blame Google, naturally Google blame the MVNOs like ASDA & Lebara.

What I was attempting to confirm using a generic device was whether the networks were discriminating and favouring either certain phone models or worse only those they originally supplied.

So, it now has to be down to the specific device and if there is still an issue determine the common denominator which may include:
  • phones source (i.e was it ordered from a particular provider, google or other)
  • phones chip set and version
  • phone model version (often by region but can be multiple)
  • phones UI (can vary on same model or patched)
  • firmware version
  • Android version
  • User Network Setting
  • Behaviour across providers (using test SIMS)
  • Age of SIM or plan
We will probably only find the answer if those experiencing issues record this information and we can identify a trend.

Note: Pixels use the Tensor chipset.

Last week, I asked ASDA what is the problem exactly, the reply was that they are waiting for Google to do some provisioning on Pixel phones.

I have the Hong Kong version of the Galaxy S10e, i.e. the G9700. WiFi calling does not work with either Lebara or Asda Mobile (both Vodafone networks), but it does work with SMARTY (3 based), which proves my phone itself isn't the issue. WiFi calling works on a spare Huawei Mate 20 Pro using my Asda Mobile SIM, so I know the SIM is fine, etc.

Sadly 3 have awful signal where I live and all the rest have "meh" signal, so I need a provider that offers WiFi calling but doesn't use 3's network. Are there any EE or O2 based providers that might offer WiFi calling?

I've just switched from 3 to 1pmobile and what a difference. Three signal at home is not that great but the Wifi calling works fine. As we travel around the Uk Three isn't too bad coverage but never seen VoLTE.

Now on 1pmobile the signal at home is a bit better than Three but the Wifi calling worked straight out of the box and the coverage is much better around the UK where we've been and more often than not get VoLTE.

1pmobile is on EE but I suspect you knew that.

A lot depends on the device and if it has the correct built-in settings required to enable various profiles including Wi-Fi calling. Qualcomm for example seem to provide a large list of operators across the world to be added to Android builds for their SoC/modems, but they are sometimes incorrect or just the minimum settings required to make a call.

If the settings are wrong or missing then it requires either the phone manufacturer to correct them in their ROMs, or for someone to organise carrier settings to be sent to the device, which often doesn't happen unless the device is sold by the carrier who will test it works on their service, in this case the carrier can either feedback to the manufacturer to get the ROM fixed, or they will just fix their customised version of the ROM, or send their own carrier settings to the devices they sell.

I'm going to try 1pmobile but it looks like EE has even worse signal here than 3, which essentially leaves me with zero options. EE & 3 have poor signal, Vodafone doesn't support WiFi calling on my device, and the only O2 providers that offer WiFi calling at all don't do 30 day contracts.

I guess I'll just have to stick with Smarty (3) for WiFi calling and put up with no signal in various places where I live.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules