Sponsored

Cerberus Networks FOD, this is cool

candlerb

Top Member
Jesus that was expensive, given the fairly short distance to the agg node. Mine cost £3.7k back in 2017 when it was still under the construction band pricing scheme. Mine was band D and IIRC distance to agg node is 800m.
Back then, you would also have had to pay a substantial premium on the first three years of service: I think it worked out as about £3.6K+VAT (i.e. you were paying £100 over Cerberus' standard FTTP pricing for 3 years)

I was one of those who benefitted from the newer pricing in 2018, as my previous quote for band G was higher. However, installation prices have risen substantially since then, perhaps reflecting that Openreach have committed heavily to Fibre First and don't want to divert resources away.

For those who don't know: I made a spreadsheet recording FTTPoD initial estimates and post-survey prices reported by thinkbroadband users.

There are only 11 reports from 2020 and 7 reports from 2021, but across all of those the lowest confirmed pricing was £8,157+VAT.

These days you can be pretty sure that any FTTPoD installation will likely cost £8K-£12K (+VAT). If you would be prepared to pay that, then committing to the £250 is not a big deal. (Technically you're not actually paying for a survey; you're placing an order for FTTPoD. You can exit the contract once the confirmed pricing is given, but you pay £250 to do so. If you want to continue, you have 30 days to pay the entire installation fee up-front).

The OP's 6 months from survey to provisioning is pretty good, but there are no guarantees and it can take a lot longer: mine was 3.5 months to get the survey, and another 14 months for installation. Meanwhile, Openreach is deploying native FTTP across large swathes of the country, with an ambition for 80% coverage by end of 2026. Therefore, anybody considering FTTPoD now has to weigh up the risk that by the time it's installed, they may only get a year or two's benefit from it.

candlerb

Top Member
Worth mentioning perhaps for Brumski and others: since 1st December 2021 there has been an Openreach trial of reduced FOD pricing if your property is within 500m of an aggregation node, even cheaper if it is in the planned footprint of an existing splitter within 500m (i.e. only CBT needs to be added)

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
Worth mentioning perhaps for Brumski and others: since 1st December 2021 there has been an Openreach trial of reduced FOD pricing if your property is within 500m of an aggregation node, even cheaper if it is in the planned footprint of an existing splitter within 500m (i.e. only CBT needs to be added)

This is very interesting. I'm currently waiting for an FTTPoD quote from Cerberus who've told me that Openreach haven't responded to the desk survey yet (put the request in on 10th December btw). So I'll be interested to see if it's cheaper now as there is WBC FTTP just on the street next to ours (200m). Last time my quote was in excess of £13k.

Pheasant

ULTIMATE Member
This is very interesting. I'm currently waiting for an FTTPoD quote from Cerberus who've told me that Openreach haven't responded to the desk survey yet (put the request in on 10th December btw). So I'll be interested to see if it's cheaper now as there is WBC FTTP just on the street next to ours (200m). Last time my quote was in excess of £13k.
You more than likely will need to request an actual survey, rather than desk survey to get a proper view on pricing changes. Desk survey are notoriously unreliable - could be +/- 200%

candlerb

Top Member
This is definitely true, because the trial explicitly says they won't determine eligibility for the reduced pricing without a full survey. So unfortunately you'll still need to gamble £250+VAT.

Pheasant

ULTIMATE Member
My desk survey came back at £7,300 and the confirmed build cost (that's after the £250 survey) weighed in at £9,200 inc VAT.

This was a very simple install pushed through about 350m of clear ducts from the property wall to the ag-node. An 8-port splitter was installed in the draw pit at the end of my driveway. There was no complications or unnecessary delays other than the usual stuff, contractors needing to delay to get a lift to open large drains and so forth. No traffic management was required on the quote or installation.
That would doubtless have been an 8-port CBT rather than a splitter. The CBT has a fixed tail which is spliced back to the nearest splitter node. There is no splitting at the CBT on the Openreach network.

What you were told was the ag node was actually most likely the splitter node. AgNodes will be more centrally located and serve several splitters and FTTC cabinets amongst other stuff.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £70 Reward Card
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £25.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4124)
  2. BT (3154)
  3. Politics (2120)
  4. Building Digital UK (2028)
  5. Openreach (1970)
  6. FTTC (1923)
  7. Business (1836)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1607)
  9. Statistics (1513)
  10. 4G (1380)
  11. FTTH (1371)
  12. Virgin Media (1277)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1241)
  14. Fibre Optic (1235)
  15. Wireless Internet (1234)
  16. Vodafone (927)
  17. EE (907)
  18. 5G (899)
  19. TalkTalk (821)
  20. Sky Broadband (787)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules