Sponsored Links

CGNAT/Public IP

Gandi69

ULTIMATE Member
Just wanted to field a quick question to all you knowledgeable people here:

Are there any 4G/LTe providers in the UK that offer a public IP address / No CGNAT on their services? Or that can at least offer the option of it.
Preferably ones who don't charge the earth too. Its a tall order I know but its worth an ask!

cheers

Just wanted to field a quick question to all you knowledgeable people here:

Are there any 4G/LTe providers in the UK that offer a public IP address / No CGNAT on their services? Or that can at least offer the option of it.
Preferably ones who don't charge the earth too. Its a tall order I know but its worth an ask!

cheers
Hi Gandi69,

I believe 3 still give you a public IP address if you use the '3internet' apn rather than 'three.co.uk'

I know loads of users loath 3 with a vengeance but for me they are fine speed wise.

Hopefully someone else will pop in and confirm I haven't got it all wrong.

I believe @The Wee Bear is correct that three are the only ones that offer a completely non CGNAT'd connection, however EE don't appear be applying CGNAT on ipv6 addresses (although the ipv4 address remains NAT'd)

Sponsored Links
Ive spoken to three this afternoon and apparently they no longer offer a static ip/non CGNAT with any of their sim packages - Even though their website says they can offer it. Reason is I host something at home and I dont want to lose the ability to do that via my traditional broadband which is now contract up time and also rising in price quite a bit. I know you can do it in other ways with vpn and tunnels but all of this is a cost option thus further increasing price

Yeah i'm on three i use "3internet" APN and there's no nat/cgnat. I don't think any of them are ever static though although I've had my current IP for about 8 days now. However, I don't see having a dynamic IP as a problem because my router updates my cloudflare DNS entry to point to whatever my three IP address is so I don't really need a static IP.

If you've got your own domain, you can host it on cloudflare 100% free and use a dynamic DNS client to update the DNS entry , again free. I have never noticed any issue with it that a static IP would solve.

I use it to OpenVPN to home so I can see my CCTV and other internal home devices while out and about on 4G/Mobile.

Incidentally Virgin Media have changed my "static IP" that I pay for twice in the last 2 years. :rolleyes:

Yeah i'm on three i use "3internet" APN and there's no nat/cgnat. I don't think any of them are ever static though although I've had my current IP for about 8 days now. However, I don't see having a dynamic IP as a problem because my router updates my cloudflare DNS entry to point to whatever my three IP address is so I don't really need a static IP.

If you've got your own domain, you can host it on cloudflare 100% free and use a dynamic DNS client to update the DNS entry , again free. I have never noticed any issue with it that a static IP would solve.

I use it to OpenVPN to home so I can see my CCTV and other internal home devices while out and about on 4G/Mobile.

Incidentally Virgin Media have changed my "static IP" that I pay for twice in the last 2 years. :rolleyes:
I’m happy to use a dynamic dns as I’ve been using that setup for years, maybe it’s something I should look into doing and try it. Smarty are cgnat as I have a package with them I just wondered if three were any different. If I’m honest their customer service was woeful on the phone today but then find me a provider that isn’t!
I only intend to open one port to host something so if I can do that it would be ideal

I noticed three have some deals on at the moment with so maybe I’ll try that out and see how I get on.

I’m happy to use a dynamic dns as I’ve been using that setup for years, maybe it’s something I should look into doing and try it. Smarty are cgnat as I have a package with them I just wondered if three were any different. If I’m honest their customer service was woeful on the phone today but then find me a provider that isn’t!
I only intend to open one port to host something so if I can do that it would be ideal

I noticed three have some deals on at the moment with so maybe I’ll try that out and see how I get on.

have you seen/heard of hotukdeals? I got my three SIM for £20 a month unlimited, but then it comes with cashback that makes it effectively £6 a month. I've already claimed 50% of that cashback without any problem so it has worked out really well. They often post some good deals for UK networks.

I also managed to snag vodafone 100GB for effectively £5 a month from the same website.

Sponsored Links
You can take the AAISP L2TP service for £10 per month. This will give you static IPv4 and IPv6. Usage is capped at 1TB per month and 100Mbps up+down, but if this is for only incoming connections it may be sufficient.
You'll need a router than can initiate an L2TP tunnel.

Otherwise, I'd take a small virtual server for £5-£10 per month running in a data centre somewhere, and then VPN it back to the home network (e.g. with Wireguard or OpenVPN).

You can take the AAISP L2TP service for £10 per month. This will give you static IPv4 and IPv6. Usage is capped at 1TB per month and 100Mbps up+down, but if this is for only incoming connections it may be sufficient.
You'll need a router than can initiate an L2TP tunnel.

Otherwise, I'd take a small virtual server for £5-£10 per month running in a data centre somewhere, and then VPN it back to the home network (e.g. with Wireguard or OpenVPN).
I could do that sort of thing but it’s another 10 pounds plus on the bill whereas a cheap wired connection would cost a little more but I’d have a spin off benefit of that being extra bandwidth to play about with it needed. It’s a difficult one for me to decide what to do really, there are options for me here

Well I got hold of a 535 from three. The 3internet APN seems to give a public IP, port forwarding does work. However I was hoping the speeds would be a little better than the B311 I had on smarty. So far using the same antenna setup (apparently it'll support a SISO antenna that I have) and it gets significantly less. The b535 does band aggregation right?

The B535 can do some band aggregation, though not too much, it's just a cat7. The B818 for example is cat19.

Anyway, I think your main problem stems from using Three, I and most of the other forum users had nothing but trouble with them, they oversell their network like crazy. Usually EE are the best, but depending on location you could have better luck with the others, too.

All of them do CGNAT, so VPN/tunnel is your only way out.

If you're not too disappointed with your copper based broadband, then keep using it. No CGNAT and way better latency, I assume.

Sponsored Links
be interesting to test my vodafone unlimited max sim in this, wonder what that will get.
im going to check out the CGNAT stuff more in depth tomorrow. I did expect to see a bit of a difference to the B311 but its not to be

Perhaps Three has only 1 or 2 bands in your area and being overused as it is, it couldn't even max out the B311 (which is cat4 btw, no aggregation). B535 is the better of the two.

what kind of speeds were you achieving from that? I was looking at someone at work's computer the other day and they have the same 3 package as I do and they are lucky to get 6mb down 2mb up with theirs, Thats in central Birmingham so I guess I should count myself lucky

I quit Three last summer, one month after I signed up to them (luckily I signed up to 1 monthly contract, fearing the worst). I was getting same speeds as your friend in Birmingham.

Switched to EE, ~150 Mbps on 4G with B818, then upgraded to a 5G router, I'm getting 300+ Mbps down, 60-80 Mbps up. I am lucky it's a good location for EE, you should definitely get SIMs from all providers and test which is best, it's what I did.. spent a bit on payg SIMs hehe.

They all do CGNAT though.

What's your part post code? Put that in the chat and I'll have a look on Root metrics to see what sort of speeds people are getting in your area with 3 and EE. If you've already done this, Great!

Sponsored Links
What's your part post code? Put that in the chat and I'll have a look on Root metrics to see what sort of speeds people are getting in your area with 3 and EE. If you've already done this, Great!

look pretty poor all round my area if im honest, maybe i should sign up to that service to document what I get

look pretty poor all round my area if im honest, maybe i should sign up to that service to document what I get
You just need to download the rootmetrics app, not sure if it's available on iOS though. If not, you can use the website.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Sky Broadband UK ISP Logo
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5444)
  2. BT (3497)
  3. Politics (2513)
  4. Openreach (2285)
  5. Business (2242)
  6. Building Digital UK (2227)
  7. FTTC (2040)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1955)
  9. Statistics (1770)
  10. 4G (1649)
  11. Virgin Media (1603)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1446)
  13. Wireless Internet (1384)
  14. Fibre Optic (1384)
  15. FTTH (1380)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules