Sponsored

Changes to Evolution Terms and Conditions

wheeles

Casual Member
I've been with Eclipse since December 2003. At first I thought them brilliant. No more than 2 disconnects for the first 2 years. Then disconnects got slightly more frequent, but not a problem. When the Evo packages came out I went on the Evo 2 package as I am a fairly heavy user, but a lot of my usage is outside of their peak hours (I run trading software with constant price quote streaming). Only once was I warned that I might go over the limit, so I throttled things back. Line drops have become more frequent which is not good.

Today I got an email which states that from August 1, peak hours now represents 9am to 11pm, so great if you're an insomniac, but screws everyone else. As they no longer offer the Evolution packages, I can only assume that this is a concerted effort to move people to other packages or get heavier users to pay more or move elsewhere.

If I start hitting the fair usage limits I will have no alternative but to move ISP as I refuse to move up to their Home Pro package which would work out at almost double.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
If you're not happy with their prices and reliability, I'd get out of there now, before their new T&Cs start to bite!

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
It use to be that everybody pretty much defined On-Peak and Off-Peak as being comparable to working hours, so on-peak would be 5 or 6pm to 12 Midnight and Off-Peak would be everything else. Sadly there's never been a solid standard and as a result some ISPs like to re-define the term, though I still don't feel as if working week hours should be tagged as on-peak for residential packages, it's not like everybody is at home.

Still, as akbray says, it's now easier than ever to move providers and if you don't like them then vote with your feet and pick somebody better.

akbray

ULTIMATE Member
And I'm sure there are plenty of people with good recommendations -

I'm on Be, but considering moving to O2 (same network, but now I'm an O2 mobile customer, a much lower cost, albeit with a 12-month contract). Of course, this depends on whether your exchange has been enabled by them.

wheeles

Casual Member
Unfortunately my exchange has not been unbundled yet. I'll wait and see if I get clobbered by these changes in the peak hours. I notice that many other ISPs now include the daytime as peak hours also.

wheeles

Casual Member
Well, 4 months on and today I got my second warning for the month. Now I have to live with 256k download for the rest of the month. Bah.

Still waiting for O2/Be to unbundle my local exchange, but am sorely tempted to move to O2 anyway. While I could upgrade the package to Eclipse's 50GB one, I don't think they should be rewarded for something brought about by a change in their Terms and Conditions.

Final straw? I think so.

mikefolgore

Eclipse??????

Eclipse?:crap: There are giving me a lot of trouble. I have been with eclipse from 2005 and until this February, was more or less ok. Then I saw that they change options. I was on Option 2 EVOLUTION, paying £18.99 a month and with the new band HOME SELECT, I was going to pay only £12.67 for the same requirement. So, I phoned and I was cathegorically explained that that was it, 12.95 (not 12.67 as advertised on INTERNET. No extra charges for router or anything else. £12.95 for the first 3 months, then £15.61 thereafter. That for me was better than £18.99. So here I was with Home Select.......then trouble start. A bill arrived for £66.59 for so many things that I could not even understand. Some of the charges were for router, P&P, transfere, and payments of advance month, etc etc. Phoned, and hours trying to sort it out. Then a letter arrived talling me I was in credit for the some of £38.27 (wrong any way)I went on line to see my account and I saw that I was already charged £15.37 ???? phoned again and no way they would explain to me what was the reason and, told me that in one month time my charge would be around about £22.70 a month, and that was the charge for HOME SELECT. I told them to look at their internet advertising 3 bands and the HOME SELECT had the prices I told them. They told me I should not look at that and listen of what they tell me. Discussion went on for hours but more or less they would not reason at all. then I told them to reput me to my old band and now I am paying the same as before, £18.58 (vat has gone down) and soon I will demand my MAC and leave them completely. Thank God.

Last edited:
Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2194)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1604)
  5. Politics (1423)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1237)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1071)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1036)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (856)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (578)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules