Sponsored Links

China Unicom VN007+ Review

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
Hey Hey, it's another review time.

Today I finally got my China Unicom VN007+ 5G modem. It's been a rough journey, first order was cancelled by Aliexpress for "security concerns" (I used a revolut card). Second one went missing and is now being disputed and having little success with the dispute , third one arrived today.

foto-no-exif-2.jpg

foto-no-exif-1-3.jpg

speed:
12986797856.png

compared to the Huawei CPE Pro 2 I use to test everything against:

12986811418.png

I should point out that these are BOTH well below my usual speed, so I will try again at different times. But so far, there doesn't seem to be much difference. Another nail in the £500 coffin price of the Huawei.

Pros:
Extremely cheap (£140, shipped, no VAT/customs - lucky?)
Supplied with a UK power supply, not a nasty adaptor.
More network ports than the Huawei.
Easy to flash firmwares, does not seem to be any restrictions on downgrading.

Cons:
Not much to look at, plastic is a bit cheapo but seems strong enough.
No bridge mode that I can find. There is, see below
SIM card slot is fiddly.
No WiFi 6
No SMS function without using a patched fw.

Menus:
menu1.png

I will update this thread on the speeds and power consumption figures as time goes on. Initial findings are good, very happy with the performance vs cost.

Updates:

Power consumption:
4.7W idle (WiFi on). 3W idle (WiFi off)
7.5W downloading WiFi.
6.6W downloading wired (WiFi turned off)
These are all averages. It fluctuates.

Android app:
LLgW2Nh.png

QiIEUgq.jpg

tHXJgGA.jpg

Last edited:
Nice nice!
Did you have to pay any customs or other tax for this?

Nice nice!
Did you have to pay any customs or other tax for this?
Nope. No charges other than what I paid Aliexpress. They of course put the value on the package as $10 😆

Sponsored Links
Updates:

Managed to try downgrading and upgrading firmwares, there seems to be no locking / checking you can up/downgrade as you please. Thanks to a Fillapino forum, I've managed to enable ADB , get the root password and discover that it does in fact have a bridge mode (called IP passthrough) which is ONLY available via the root password!!

So yeah, bridge mode works fine. Root PW also lets you lock cells.

Q78KTqE.png

ilqbRLX.png

FA8zlUz.png

982Ru5X.png

pY9B0ND.png

This modem is super easy hackable, hoping to discover more. Will be cracking it open to fit some SMA connectors too probably at the weekend.

Sponsored Links
Updates:

Managed to try downgrading and upgrading firmwares, there seems to be no locking / checking you can up/downgrade as you please. Thanks to a Fillapino forum, I've managed to enable ADB , get the root password and discover that it does in fact have a bridge mode (called IP passthrough) which is ONLY available via the root password!!

So yeah, bridge mode works fine. Root PW also lets you lock cells.

Q78KTqE.png

ilqbRLX.png

FA8zlUz.png

982Ru5X.png

pY9B0ND.png

This modem is super easy hackable, hoping to discover more. Will be cracking it open to fit some SMA connectors too probably at the weekend.
Looking good. You're acquiring quite a collection. You might wish to sell the Huawei on ebay and get a good price before the rest of the mobile punters catch on that there are cheaper alternatives out there.

Looking good. You're acquiring quite a collection. You might wish to sell the Huawei on ebay and get a good price before the rest of the mobile punters catch on that there are cheaper alternatives out there.
I actually have a use case for so many of them :D

The ZTE I got a few months back is now at my mums place. The deal there is that she uses that for her internet, and I have a Synology NAS there that backs up from my own NAS over SSH from midnight to 5am when she doesn't use it.

The Huawei I will probably keep.

This China Unicom one was for me to basically experiment with. Since it's cheap and I doubt I'll have much of a warranty anyway then I don't mind fiddling with it. I've got two 2x2 MIMO antennas that I want to hook up to something and I'm going to modify this with the antenna connectors on the end.

Already cracked it open :D

SrpUWhM.jpg

CB9hCx4.jpg

GSs5aVq.jpg

I've ordered the cables (I think these are IPEX4) which should arrive tomorrow.

This China Unicom one was for me to basically experiment with. Since it's cheap and I doubt I'll have much of a warranty anyway then I don't mind fiddling with it. I've got two 2x2 MIMO antennas that I want to hook up to something and I'm going to modify this with the antenna connectors on the end.
I'm keen to hear how this goes. I have this and compared to the mobile 5G modem and the CPE Pro 2 I have, the speeds are quite significantly lower and it seems to be linked to the signal strength they get.

Sponsored Links
Depending on the courier it can take a while before they ask for VAT/handling fee just so you're aware.

Also I recommend using credit card/PayPal in future to avoid issues with disputes.
They would have had to put the charges on the packaging. There are none. I suspect it was drop shipped to someone in the UK first and then to me anyway as I see there's another shipping label under the one with my address.

Yeah I used a credit card to buy it so if Aliexpress wont solve the dispute then im doing a chargeback.

They would have had to put the charges on the packaging. There are none. I suspect it was drop shipped to someone in the UK first and then to me anyway as I see there's another shipping label under the one with my address.

Yeah I used a credit card to buy it so if Aliexpress wont solve the dispute then im doing a chargeback.
My one was just over the 135 VAT collection, they declared it as 10USD and no one ever collected VAT or queried it. It definitely came directly from China (tracking shows that).

This looks interesting…. Care to share a link to the AliExpress shop you got it from dabigm?

I've got one of these!
Where did you get the tools from? I didn't realise there was a Unicom Manager app available!

Looking forward to seeing what's possible with these!

Sponsored Links
I've got one of these!
Where did you get the tools from? I didn't realise there was a Unicom Manager app available!

Looking forward to seeing what's possible with these!
I found it on a Philipino forum. https://phcorner.net/

Here's a direct link to the manager APK but I have no idea who wrote it, how safe it is or anything so .. at your own risk and all..

I'm keen to hear how this goes. I have this and compared to the mobile 5G modem and the CPE Pro 2 I have, the speeds are quite significantly lower and it seems to be linked to the signal strength they get.
Hey I just noticed your sig that you have the 5009. I've got this on order! Arriving in May. I hope it's a good one!

Hey I just noticed your sig that you have the 5009. I've got this on order! Arriving in May. I hope it's a good one!
It's a great little router, highly recommend it and I may be weird here but I also love RouterOS, it's very underrated. Of course, it's not perfect, I'd have loved to see a model with 2x SFP+... and putting PoE in on the 2.5GbE interface feels like a mistake to me, put it on one of the 7 GbE ports?! :D

Hey Hey, it's another review time.

Today I finally got my China Unicom VN007+ 5G modem. It's been a rough journey, first order was cancelled by Aliexpress for "security concerns" (I used a revolut card). Second one went missing and is now being disputed and having little success with the dispute , third one arrived today.

foto-no-exif-2.jpg

foto-no-exif-1-3.jpg

speed:
12986797856.png

compared to the Huawei CPE Pro 2 I use to test everything against:

12986811418.png

I should point out that these are BOTH well below my usual speed, so I will try again at different times. But so far, there doesn't seem to be much difference. Another nail in the £500 coffin price of the Huawei.

Pros:
Extremely cheap (£140, shipped, no VAT/customs - lucky?)
Supplied with a UK power supply, not a nasty adaptor.
More network ports than the Huawei.
Easy to flash firmwares, does not seem to be any restrictions on downgrading.

Cons:
Not much to look at, plastic is a bit cheapo but seems strong enough.
No bridge mode that I can find. There is, see below
SIM card slot is fiddly.
No WiFi 6
No SMS function without using a patched fw.

Menus:
View attachment 2311

I will update this thread on the speeds and power consumption figures as time goes on. Initial findings are good, very happy with the performance vs cost.

Updates:

Power consumption:
4.7W idle (WiFi on). 3W idle (WiFi off)
7.5W downloading WiFi.
6.6W downloading wired (WiFi turned off)
These are all averages. It fluctuates.

Android app:
LLgW2Nh.png

QiIEUgq.jpg

tHXJgGA.jpg
I will NOT buy these Huawei 5G from China as these are spying in UK

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £24.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5388)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2222)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1591)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1376)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (916)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules