Sponsored

Claranet - the Dial-up dogs danglies

Gherkin_30

Casual Member
If you want a dial up ISP choose this one.
They may not be the cheepest but they are the best by far.
I have used a few ISP's but non of them touch this one and the only reason for cancelling my subsciption is because I have gone over to ADSL and to be honest Claranat is too expensive for ADSL(29.99) and I am paying £22.99 but like I say if you want a good unmetered dial up ISP - go for this. You wont be disapointed.
Cheers Claranet

70cm guy

Pro Member
Well thanks for the info Gherkin, but there are constraints on joining this ISP as they are only available in certain parts of the UK and mine is not one of them.

I did attempt to register a short while back and progressed quite well until a member of their staff informed me the payments for the unmetered anytime service were only quartely and by direct debit.

When I contacted another member of Clara staff to check on this he told me that payments are accepted monthly by credit card but my post code is not on their list even though the other guy said nothing about that.

This experience made me very suspicious of this company and no matter how good they may be it was destroyed by lies.

Rgds 70cm.

12twelve

Pro Member
Guy, have you tried the Claranet website. Im with them in Cheshire not a million miles away from you in Chester. If you put your phone number in it will tell you straight away if its available in your area.
Ive been with Clara for a couple of years now on the Freetime Unlimited service and have no complaints at all.

70cm guy

Pro Member
Hi twelve yes I went through the full procedure and after typing in my post code / phone number it told quite firmly 'no go' and wishing to discover if my area was going to be enbled in the near future I then emailed Clara and was told it would be OK but only if I signed up for quartely payments and it had to be by direct debit.

I have since received an apology from another member of Clara staff confirming the guy who made all the promises was wrong in every detail, which is strange considering his position in the company.

The whole thing has left me feeling let down and wondering what could have possibly been his intentions and how could he have achieved what he so vehemently promised when I now know it was impossible.

Rgds 70cm.

KC

Casual Member
I answered some of your post in the following: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=852&perpage=10&pagenumber=2

This was regarding payment etc.

With regards to being in your area ClaraNet use NTL & Kingston who need to upgrade exchanges in the UK with their/new circuits, don't quote me on that but that's what I presume.

As far as I have heard 80-90% of the UK is covered and is increasing as time goes on for the FreeTime AnyTime accounts, their other FreeTime accounts are using the Colt telco company which cover 100% of the UK.

KC

70cm guy

Pro Member
Hi KC firstly thanks for the link to the previous thread and I must admit to not having read your post which does shed some new light on the situation.

When I first studied the Clara net service the 'Freetime anytime business' connection appealed to me mainly due to it's better contention ratio, and it was a gentlman whose title is 'Corporate internet consultant' that dealt with my applicaion.

This may be why the charging period and method were different to the service you are using, but surely they dont have lines avaialable for business in my area and not the home user.

I dont really want to persue this matter any further but replied out of courtesy for your helpfull comments, and whatever the reasons the matter was dealt with very badly, and my initial post on the subject was only to discover from other Clara net members what the real joining conditions are in an attempt to clear up the confusion.

Regards and happy new year.
70cm.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2509)
  2. FTTP (2196)
  3. FTTC (1657)
  4. Building Digital UK (1606)
  5. Politics (1425)
  6. Openreach (1417)
  7. Business (1238)
  8. Statistics (1098)
  9. FTTH (1072)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1036)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (898)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (591)
  18. TalkTalk (579)
  19. Vodafone (517)
  20. Security (412)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules