Sponsored Links

Colchester FTTP

marcosgilson

Casual Member
Hi,

I live in Colchester, Essex. The borough of Colchester has a population of over 200,000 and is now the largest in Essex.

I am struggling to understand why no major FTTP infrastructure company appears to be interested in entering the town. Colcheter does have some good coverage by virgin media, but has hardly been touched by Openreach in respect of FTTP, with only a few new build developments that have FTTP.

Outside the town itself there are some patches of FTTP in rural villages by County Broadband and the local council have an agreement with LILACONNECT to start rolling out some FTTP, which is mainly focussed on the town centre. I look at nearby towns such as Ipswich (City Fibre) and Chelmsford, who have almost full FTTP coverage and can’t understand why someone like CityFibre wouldn’t be interested in Colchester? Does anyone have information or can anyone shed any light on why City Fibre/Openreach or any major FTTP haven’t got plans for Colchester, and secondly what criteria they use to target areas. Kind regards

This might help, it's only just starting:

Yeah saw this, but why are the big boys such as Openreach and CityFibre not deploying??? Lilaconnect only lease their lines to very small ISP’s. Not keen, and by al account their roll out in Stoke on Trent has been laborious and third rate

Sponsored Links
I'm not familiar enough with Colchester to be able to answer, but I'd imagine OR and VM must have found something about the area to be uneconomic for such deployments. Maybe there are too many private roads, perhaps the build would be too expensive, or the council wasn't helpful.

I'm not familiar enough with Colchester to be able to answer, but I'd imagine OR and VM must have found something about the area to be uneconomic for such deployments. Maybe there are too many private roads, perhaps the build would be too expensive, or the council wasn't helpful.
I suspect the council be unhelpful.

The area is well covered by VM

Sponsored Links
Sorry yes, VM is heavily present there, got tripped up by the original post.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules