Sponsored

Community Broadband Help please

Simon MC

Hi,

Can anybody help me please? I'm trying to understand the ARC2000 and ARC2000+ packages as a local company has told me this is a better solution than going with ADSL.

They said that all residential users can have a full unlimited 2,048 Kbps downstream and 512 Kbps service for £29.99 a month and that as this is similarly priced to entry level ADSL therefore I would be much better off on Satellite. I believe they are using the ARC2000 (not +)

I am very keen to hear other aramiska users views and advice, please help.

Many thanks

evs67uk

ISP Rep
Hello Simon,
Just a quick message to say that if you want to discuss the rural community package please do not hesitate to contact me.
m.evans@aramiska.net
cheers
Mike Evans (Senior Area Sales Manager) Aramiska
07976 230099

nathans

Top Member
If adsl is available then i would go for it, satellite is a last resort delivery method, has much larger latency, and contention and bandwidth issues.

evs67uk

ISP Rep
Hi guys,
All I would say is that not all satellite providers have such a problem with latency or bandwidth.
I have customers who use our service because it is so much quicker than ADSL.
Gamers are the only people that have an issue with satellite.
The wireless villages that have the service have nothing but praise for our broadband service.
It does get on my nerves a bit when people jump on satellite as not being any good due to a few ISP's.
There are many adsl ISP's that don't provide a good service but I am yet to see anyone critisize adsl.
cheers

Simon MC

Thanks Nathans, Mike,

Basically the way I'm looking at it is:

With ADSL you get 512/256 for around the £20 mark on 50:1 or 1024/256 for £29.79 on 50:1.

With the ARC2000 I'm told you can get 2048/512 for £29.99. They are less clear on the contention ratios 8:1 down and 4:1 up but then mention a minimum of 15 users. I take it this mean it's 2048/512 with a minimum contention ratio of 120:1 on the download and 60:1 on the upload?

I'm concerned that if it gets to 25 subscriber then you get 200:1 on download an 100:1 on upload and so on. Is there a maximum of users that are allowed? Does this also mean that if 2 users decide to stream at 1024 the other users are locked out?

What i'm trying to decide is whether 2048/512 Satellite with the contention ratios I mention above will give a better overall performance than 1024/212 ADSL on 50:1 . Are there any speed test result around?

Many thanks

killsta

Casual Member
Are you talking about getting the ARC2000+ package from Aramiska, or simply subscribing yourself to a wireless ISP that uses Aramiska as a backbone?

The Aramiska connections themselves have unlimited users.

The amount of users a WISP decides to stick on the Aramiska backbone is their decision.

EDIT: Just read your first post again. The contention ratio on the Aramiska link is 8:1, and that would be multiplied by however many customers the 'local company' has.

If you can get ADSL, then that might be a better option as the contention would probably be lower.

I would definately recommend Aramiska if you cannot get ADSL :)

Last edited:

evs67uk

ISP Rep
The way that it works is that the WISP normally uses the Arc2000+ which is contended at 4:1 down & 2:1 up.
The if you had 15 users the ISP sets up bandwidth management so that no single user pulls all the bandwidth for themself.
Contention is a bit of a strange one as you very rarely have concurrent users on the network so contention very rarely becomes an issue.
The difference with an ISP using satellite is that as more users come onto the network they have the option to take on another dish to double the bandwidth available where as with adsl once the exchange hits capacity no one else can go on the network.
If you contact Errol Rhoden (Sales Director) at Langreen WISP he will be able to give you some testimonials from existing WISP customers.
He can be contacted at erhoden@langreen.com
cheers
Mike

killsta

Casual Member
The difference with an ISP using satellite is that as more users come onto the network they have the option to take on another dish to double the bandwidth available where as with adsl once the exchange hits capacity no one else can go on the network.
Never thought of it that way :D

Simon - Aramiska is a brilliant service, you just need to get details from your wireless ISP about how many customers they will be putting on the one link!

nathans

Top Member
BT dont let the exchange hit capacity though, they have a red amber green policy on capacity, and as soon as it hits amber they order and upgrade to the links between exchanges and the backbone. Even a red exchange is still running within the contention ratio.

See here to check an exchange http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

While you said a wisp has to decide if they want to order another dish or squeeze more users onto the current load and make more profit in effect.

ProfPete

ISP Rep
Unfortunately, from experience, it seems MOST satellite prodivers provide a bad service. Whereas only a few adsl providers give a bad service.

There are always exceptions to any rule, and Aramiska are certainly an exception to the most satellite prodiders being bad rule. I believe it has something to do with their TCP ACK spoofing though.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Origin Broadband £23.00
  • Vodafone £23.00
  • SSE £23.00 (*33.00)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2467)
  2. FTTP (2096)
  3. FTTC (1634)
  4. Building Digital UK (1575)
  5. Openreach (1382)
  6. Politics (1380)
  7. Business (1209)
  8. Statistics (1079)
  9. FTTH (1015)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1008)
  11. Fibre Optic (957)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (902)
  13. Wireless Internet (887)
  14. 4G (875)
  15. Virgin Media (843)
  16. Sky Broadband (587)
  17. EE (577)
  18. TalkTalk (566)
  19. Vodafone (497)
  20. Security (402)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules