Sponsored Links

Community Fibre installed today but not working

RedFxs

Casual Member
Hi all,

Had my installation done today.
The guy was really good but there was an issue with the signal from the telephone pole fluctuating up and down.
He tried multiple ports but they were all fluctuating.
He stayed for an extra hour trying to resolve it and calling the office for them to check. Still no luck.

He told me within 48hours it should work/ someone will call me but if I wanted I can call later today.

I’ve attached a picture of the led lights from both boxes.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if there’s anything I can do to resolve it myself?
Already tried turning it off and on 🤣

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7330.jpeg
    IMG_7330.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 211
Unfortunately, during installation if the light signal is low / missing it needs further investigation. Its not like Openreach copper where the engineer can re-crimp the joints to the street cabinet or switch your copper pair.

A red light on the white Adtran modem (converts light to ethernet) means its not receiving a signal from the remote equipment. There is no intermediary equipment in the path, only splitters to keep deployments cost effective.

So another team needs to get involved to resolve the issue upto the telephone pole. There are no guarantees it will be resolved in 48h so be warned. I would start hassling CF asap for a resolution time and ask compensation in the form of a month’s free service at least.

Unfortunately, during installation if the light signal is low / missing it needs further investigation. Its not like Openreach copper where the engineer can re-crimp the joints to the street cabinet or switch your copper pair.

A red light on the white Adtran modem (converts light to ethernet) means its not receiving a signal from the remote equipment. There is no intermediary equipment in the path, only splitters to keep deployments cost effective.

So another team needs to get involved to resolve the issue upto the telephone pole. There are no guarantees it will be resolved in 48h so be warned. I would start hassling CF asap for a resolution time and ask compensation in the form of a month’s free service at least.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve just contacted them and they basically told me the same thing.
They will contact me in 1-2 days to give me an update if an engineering team needs to fix the box on the pole

Sponsored Links
whats the model number for that ONT so i can check what CFL uses now, as that looks different from what others have got

SDX631Q XGS 2.5GBE
abit strange tho, doesnt the person that installs check if your line works before leaving, nvm he stayed for an hour but nothing happened. weird

abit strange tho, doesnt the person that installs check if your line works before leaving, nvm he stayed for an hour but nothing happened. weird
I think he did everything he could. I think it’s beyond his control. Still really annoying as I have 4 days left to cancel virgin media so I’m probably going to be without internet for a bit.

Sponsored Links
Just to manage expectations there are no guarantees it will be resolved in 4 days. So you may want to look into temporary options such as Three 5G home broadband for a month.

Just to manage expectations there are no guarantees it will be resolved in 4 days. So you may want to look into temporary options such as Three 5G home broadband for a month.
Yeah it’s an option. We’ll try hotspotting our phones first to see if we can manage.

Possibly a dodgy OLT port if every port on the splitter was showing low light (and you have to assume it was working when installed because they should test), nothing that an installer on the ground can fix.

Im surprised at CF installing 2.5g ONT's. Too much for 1Gb connections and too little for 3Gb plans. Perhaps a new tier coming soon...maybe a 2Gb plan?

Sponsored Links
Im surprised at CF installing 2.5g ONT's. Too much for 1Gb connections and too little for 3Gb plans. Perhaps a new tier coming soon...maybe a 2Gb plan?
they use to just give 10gb onts but those were bad, these 2.5g onts are cheaper and work i guess

Possibly they want to do what Cityfibre have done and to be able to advertise 1Gb average download speeds on the 1Gb tier, meaning they need to overprovision slightly.

Possibly a dodgy OLT port if every port on the splitter was showing low light (and you have to assume it was working when installed because they should test), nothing that an installer on the ground can fix.
He did change the adtran box to see if it was that.
He also checked all ports on the telephone pole.
He said each port was fluctuating with the signal strength .. I would’ve thought even with a low/ unusable signal strength I would still have a green light on the optic one.

Also it wasn’t working at all. It was just installed and the issues appeared straight away

It appears the CF engineer attempted everything in his power to resolve the issues.

If the signal is too weak there will be synchronising issues hence the red light on the Adran box. The optical signal meter is a great troubleshooting tool and if the light falls below a certain threshold you may have stability / speed issues.

Hopefully the engineering team fix it asap as it will be impacting anyone else wanting to join.

Sponsored Links
Had a horrible experience.
Booked an appointment for the 9th of November and they came to install it.
Had no internet for 4 days and was told it’s an issue with the telephone pole.
I called every day during those 4 days and on the 4th day I was told my equipment wasn’t activated. They activated it and I had a live connection for a whole 2 days.
They sent an engineer, I guess they didn’t communicate with the engineer team that it’s been fixed. The engineers disconnected me and I had no internet for another 7 days.
Yesterday another engineer came and fixed the issue the first team created.
Called up today for compensation and they offered me £21. Wasn’t that happy with that so they increased it to £42, still wasn’t happy but accepted it.

Just hope no more engineers come due to lack of communication between teams/ departments.

Other than that the speed is amazing and price is great too

Already posted this on another thread but was meant to post it on this one

@RedFxs

While it's no consolation, I see the service standards at Community Fibre converging downwards to match other suppliers.

A year or so ago they seemed a bit disorganised but keen to fix any problems. Now the keenness has gone!

Thinking about the time, cost, quality triangle, Community Fibre has optimised for cost.

You could always write that Trustpilot review that Community Fibre request.

Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • UtilityWarehouse £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • NOW £23.00
    Speed 63Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £24.00
    Speed 73 - 82Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £24.99
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Zzoomm £19.95
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • YouFibre £19.99
  • Community Fibre £20.00
  • BeFibre £21.00
    Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Sponsored Links
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5385)
  2. BT (3490)
  3. Politics (2494)
  4. Openreach (2275)
  5. Business (2221)
  6. Building Digital UK (2215)
  7. FTTC (2038)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1940)
  9. Statistics (1763)
  10. 4G (1639)
  11. Virgin Media (1589)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1438)
  13. FTTH (1379)
  14. Wireless Internet (1378)
  15. Fibre Optic (1375)
  16. 5G (1215)
  17. Vodafone (1126)
  18. EE (1111)
  19. TalkTalk (927)
  20. O2 (914)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules