Sponsored

Community Fibre Partnership - Estimated costs !!!

Pingman777

Casual Member
hi

I recently submitted our village application for community fibre partnership

I received an email from Openreach today with a cost of £155,640K.

This seems ridiculously high , given the next village has Fibre + there was another company putting fibre in the village . i spoke to the installers and they said it was Zayo . I looked them up , they look like a cloud company , no mention of residential

i thought there was Government money to support broadband that is less than 30mb

thoughts and any ideas
john

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Yes Zayo are a corporate fibre builder, so they don't generally put fibre into homes (i.e. it's more likely they're supplying fibre capacity for another ISP).

As to the cost, I assume this was for FTTP and if so then costs of around £100k to £200k to cover an entire village are certainly not unheard of in a more rural setting (you don't provide any details so it's hard to say). Obviously this can depend upon the local layout and size of the village, as well as various other factors.

If it is rural then you should be able to get that quote down by harnessing vouchers under the Rural Gigabit Connectivity programme:

Alternatively you could wait to see what the Government does with their forthcoming £5bn investment in "gigabit-broadband", but that could still be years away.

Pingman777

Casual Member
Yes Zayo are a corporate fibre builder, so they don't generally put fibre into homes (i.e. it's more likely they're supplying fibre capacity for another ISP).

As to the cost, I assume this was for FTTP and if so then costs of around £100k to £200k to cover an entire village are certainly not unheard of in a more rural setting (you don't provide any details so it's hard to say). Obviously this can depend upon the local layout and size of the village, as well as various other factors.

If it is rural then you should be able to get that quote down by harnessing vouchers under the Rural Gigabit Connectivity programme:

Alternatively you could wait to see what the Government does with their forthcoming £5bn investment in "gigabit-broadband", but that could still be years away.
thanks for the reply

I have checked the link you have provided and type some of the postcodes in and I get the following message

Some addresses in this postcode may be eligible for a rural gigabit voucher

not very helpful message 'maybe'

Openreach have supplied me with 99 properties as this pretty much covers the village end to end . i have a yes from 54, so will approach the rest .

for the cost to be neutral all 99 will need to say Yes. I know I have a No from 5. Openreach did say the £155K was an estimate. hopefully it will come down,

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Don't forget that if there are any businesses there, even home workers / sole traders (i.e. permanent ones rather than COVID-19 temporary), then you may also be able to harness the biggest voucher values for those.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Onestream £19.99 (*27.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW TV £22.00 (*40.00)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (2909)
  2. BT (2826)
  3. FTTC (1812)
  4. Building Digital UK (1776)
  5. Politics (1714)
  6. Openreach (1667)
  7. Business (1491)
  8. FTTH (1345)
  9. Mobile Broadband (1280)
  10. Statistics (1276)
  11. 4G (1104)
  12. Fibre Optic (1087)
  13. Wireless Internet (1048)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1043)
  15. Virgin Media (1035)
  16. EE (729)
  17. Vodafone (708)
  18. TalkTalk (690)
  19. Sky Broadband (685)
  20. 5G (569)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules