Sponsored

Community Fibre Scheme - Query

IWantFibre

Hi,
I'm currently managing a CFS in our local area, we are only at the estimate stage but the estimate that has come back from BT includes properties that are not part of the CFS address list we submitted.

The issue I have is that there are 4 extra addresses on the scheme that are outside of our community, two of them are actually 1 - 1.5km away from one end of our village and the other 2 around 600 metres away at the other end of the village. I assume this would have increased the estimate as they are taking the fibre to these properties, properties that are not inside our community and do not have our village address. BT have told me that this is due to them being on the same network as us and also some maybe put on in error due to old records when the deskside analysis was being worked. I've asked for these to be removed but they have told me that even if they are taken off it would not affect the estimate, that to me is a bit unbelievable.

There are other points but to keep it simple and as a starter for 10, I'll just ask if anybody else has experienced this issue when dealing with BT?
Thanks

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Part of the model for a CFS deployment is that Openreach will try to reach as many premises as possible within the agreed budget, which may include more premises (if viable to the operator) than originally targeted, provided they are within easy reach of the route they're going to take.

Having said that we have seen a fair few unusual FTTP quotes in the past (I assume this is for FTTP and not FTTC since the later isn't really being done anymore) and it's not always clear precisely how Openreach are working their own internal model.

The key thing here is that, from the sounds of it, you're only at the desktop quote stage and the quote may go up or down after a full engineer survey. Likewise premises may be added or removed from the plan.

zag164

I'm currently managing a CFS in our local area, we are only at the estimate stage but the estimate that has come back from BT includes properties that are not part of the CFS address list we submitted.
I would agree that this needs some clarification. Our FTTP CFP is nearing completion so having been through most of the CFP process this is my experience.

Our CFP covered 35 properties. Of those, a handful did not wish to take part for various reasons. I asked OR to remove these properties thinking it would bring the price down but they said it would not change the price as these properties were all covered by the same DPs. Could this be the case in your own situtation? Whilst emotionally this may not seem fair as some properties will get the infrastructure for free, this is about finding something that works else the project will never get off the ground.

OR did not add any properties in our instance but it is important to note that they are only passing on a share of the costs so may have absorbed the cost for the other properties. That said, I think you have a point as whilst ORare free to deploy infrastructure where they like, they could do that without inlcuding additional properties in your CFP contract.

I'm not familiar with OR internal processes but If additional properties are listed in the CFP contract then I would be concerned that at subsequent stages that could be interpreted as a customer requirement to include these properties.

Good luck. I would be interested to hear how you get on.

IWantFibre

Thanks for the replies.

We are on the England\Wales border, with 25 properties in our CFP all in England, we have some properties that are inside our community\village in England but are on a welsh exchange and we can't include these in our scheme because they are on a different exchange.

Our participation in the CFP scheme all came about as BT installed a fibre cabinet in the centre of our village around 2km from the exchange, this was 3 years ago. The council that was running a BB improvement program funded by the government said it was too expensive to put the fibre to the cabinet and we now have a cabinet that isn't being utilised and leaving the majority of the properties connected to a cabinet outside of the exchange with speeds around 3 - 10MB. The council has adopted an approach of using 'Airband' to increase our speeds but due to the environment with a lot of trees around properties, Airband are unable to service a lot of properties as they can't get a clear line of sight. So we have been forced down the FTTP and CFP route.

We do have some properties listed that have already decIined to be part of the scheme, these I'm not bothered about. The 4 other properties outside our village is what I'm concerned about and I believe the DPs are BTs argument, as the 2 properties being in a different village 600metres away have to be included as records show they are on the same DP as our last address on our scheme. In a way we are being penalised for BTs network design that was put in place decades ago.

The stranger thing is the two properties listed at the other end of the village 1 - 1.5km away, these are in Wales, with welsh addresses and post codes, they also have a different area code to us and I believe they are attached to the Welsh exchange and yet they are included in our estimated price and plan.

That's our scheme and where we are in a nutshell. I'm talking with the BT Rural manager, he says removing the 4 extra properties won't make a difference to the estimate but these extra addresses must be skewing the estimate as they have to factor in the properties locations. I don't want to waste our time or there's if ultimately the price point is above what people are willing to pay and a nice clean estimate with properties inside our village is what would have been nice so we have a realistic estimate.

You could say it's a tad frustrating and a reply from BT acknowledging the deskside analysis errors and them producing a new estimate without these is what our scheme needs.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Onestream £22.49 (*29.99)
    Avg. Speed 45Mbps, Unlimited
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited
  • Plusnet £22.99 (*35.98)
    Avg. Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Reward Card
  • Vodafone £23.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2769)
  2. FTTP (2756)
  3. FTTC (1785)
  4. Building Digital UK (1743)
  5. Politics (1667)
  6. Openreach (1622)
  7. Business (1434)
  8. FTTH (1340)
  9. Statistics (1241)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1227)
  11. Fibre Optic (1064)
  12. 4G (1057)
  13. Wireless Internet (1021)
  14. Ofcom Regulation (1015)
  15. Virgin Media (1006)
  16. EE (697)
  17. Vodafone (669)
  18. Sky Broadband (668)
  19. TalkTalk (663)
  20. 5G (517)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules