Sponsored Links

Compensation payment options via BT - what can I get?

filmguyuk

Hi all.

I've been waiting since Oct 20th, my committed go-live date, for BT to install my new line. There were some other BT/Openreach mitigating factors, so I'm due to receive the cost of my interim EE 4G tarrif at £35 x 4 months plus then £5 a day for each day I'm off - which I think is an Ofgem code of practice.

This works out to just sub £1,000 and I wondered, do this have to be a credit to the account or can it be paid out to me as a customer?

Conscious, I'd on the BT landline and broadband tariff I'd originally selected, £24.99 per month for 24 months, that's 40 months worth of credit.

I think you mean Ofcom, not Ofgem :).

In terms of compensation, Ofcom's automated rule applies (i.e. £5 per calendar day for each day beyond the committed start date).

I can't speak to the costs of the EE 4G tariff, since that's a different operator and so may not be covered (did BT offer you a temporary 4G solution of their own at no extra cost?). In any case, compensation usually comes as either a bill credit or cash (credit seems most likely for an existing user).

I can only assume this was a mistake giving a go-live date on a new property that may need engineering without a survey by OR first.

Your circumstances appear very unusual and if it was compounded by further delayed OR works (including Covid) I would have thought BT would have simply given you the router, BT Digital Voice and 4G Assure/Mini Hub (free).

It was my understanding that the Compensation Code of Practice normally applied to properties currently covered by a network provider. They may pay out their default compensation but it will depend on the conversations you had, any formal communication and what was agreed.

Sponsored Links
You may need to check this as there are and have been exceptions due to C19:

Ofcom allowed exceptions to the ACS so you may find that BT don't agree to the per day delay fee if the work is beyond their reasonable control. The credit for the temporary service is more likely.

Matt

I would think they would cover the 4G plan from EE, they credited me with £100 when my internet was down for 3 months for my village due to an exchange problem and I had to get a HomeFi (How I found this forum :))

I think you mean Ofcom, not Ofgem :).

In terms of compensation, Ofcom's automated rule applies (i.e. £5 per calendar day for each day beyond the committed start date).

I can't speak to the costs of the EE 4G tariff, since that's a different operator and so may not be covered (did BT offer you a temporary 4G solution of their own at no extra cost?). In any case, compensation usually comes as either a bill credit or cash (credit seems most likely for an existing user).
The EE bill cover was negotiated with BT when my complaint went up a level. I did get my regulatory body confused - whoops.

I would say they will goodwill the costs for getting service up to them activating but unlikely that your going to get paid out a £1000 on a service worth about £200 at wholesale level.
They've already confirmed the region of the credit/goodwill gesture and it's as per the amount referenced.

Sponsored Links
I can only assume this was a mistake giving a go-live date on a new property that may need engineering without a survey by OR first.

Your circumstances appear very unusual and if it was compounded by further delayed OR works (including Covid) I would have thought BT would have simply given you the router, BT Digital Voice and 4G Assure/Mini Hub (free).

It was my understanding that the Compensation Code of Practice normally applied to properties currently covered by a network provider. They may pay out their default compensation but it will depend on the conversations you had, any formal communication and what was agreed.
I think there are some mitigating issues in my case. My house is a one-off new built, but the property is surrounded by other properties all with BT connections. It sounds like the person who did the initial site survey made some sort of mistake and then over-committed.

I just wanted to follow up and despite the issues, BT has (eventually) sorted everything out. I'm scheduled to be given the refund via Direct Debit of 205 days delay at £5 per day in June totalling over £1,000. And, they also gave me £175 credit on my account for the EE router service, which I had to buy to cover the months of no connection. (4G LTE router)

The ducting was all sorted and I've now got a FTTC service into my home and it's going to be regraded to FTTP, which ironically became available a week before the FTTC was all connected up. This now happening mid June.

So despite what has been months of messing around, about 25 visits from Openreach and lots of tyre kicking - they have made good on all of their commitments and the lady who was managing my high-level complaint has been extremely helpful.

I know everyone bashes BT but I think the point of failure in my case was Openreach not doing their job as they should and then lots of off-patch engineers coming with inaccurate notes to fix the job.

I just wanted to follow up and despite the issues, BT has (eventually) sorted everything out. I'm scheduled to be given the refund via Direct Debit of 205 days delay at £5 per day in June totalling over £1,000. And, they also gave me £175 credit on my account for the EE router service, which I had to buy to cover the months of no connection. (4G LTE router)

The ducting was all sorted and I've now got a FTTC service into my home and it's going to be regraded to FTTP, which ironically became available a week before the FTTC was all connected up. This now happening mid June.

So despite what has been months of messing around, about 25 visits from Openreach and lots of tyre kicking - they have made good on all of their commitments and the lady who was managing my high-level complaint has been extremely helpful.

I know everyone bashes BT but I think the point of failure in my case was Openreach not doing their job as they should and then lots of off-patch engineers coming with inaccurate notes to fix the job.

Sounds more like to me that whoever built the home did not consult Openreach New Builds Team beforehand to get the property connected during the build. Openreach are not responsible for knowing someone builds a home and wants service there, but if the builder consults the New Build Team they'll work with them, provide ducting and so on and so forth so it is a served property. Sounds like you got quite lucky.

Sounds more like to me that whoever built the home did not consult Openreach New Builds Team beforehand to get the property connected during the build. Openreach are not responsible for knowing someone builds a home and wants service there, but if the builder consults the New Build Team they'll work with them, provide ducting and so on and so forth so it is a served property. Sounds like you got quite lucky.
I certainly wouldn't disagree with this statement. The house was tricky to get registered with Royal Mail and various mapping sites. However, I do think that a general lack of comms from Openreach and a real case of the left hand not knowing what the right was doing contributed to the delays and confusion. Purely from a carbon footprint perspective, to send 4+ engineers from Liverpool to South Derbyshire, on wasted journeys seems to be non-sensical. Given the ducting was so minimal (less than 5 meters) and was pre-excavated, it does seem daft the delays experienced. But, going back to my follow-up post, they have made good on their commitments and that's all I can really judge them on.

I'm also staggered by just how good the new Smart Hub 2 is. I fully expected it to be terrible but it's been extremely reliable and solid, so much so I've just popped my old Netgear Orbi mesh system on Ebay!

Sponsored Links
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules