Sponsored

Competition

cashpot

Casual Member
Having installed broadband for a neighbour and being fed up with my speed compared with the new user I have just forwarded the following email to NDO. I have been with them for nearly a year and have received a great service from them - HOWEVER having just installed broadband for a neighbour I see what I am missing. Unfortunately the opposition website (Tesco) is way out of date, they are presently giving a 2Meg almost uncapped service for £20 a month.

It is really unfortunate to have to complain about such a good company as NDO but we don't owe ISP companies anything (we do PAY them after all) and it does seem that NDO are sitting on their laurels as far as speed increases and prices go.

Let's have your comments to the following letter please......

"I have just installed broadband for a neighbour. They are now with Tesco and for less than £20 a month they are getting a 2Meg service which while
admittedly being capped (at nearly one gig per day) you must admit is FAR
better value than my present 1 meg connection from you for well over £32 a
month (and yes, I do accept that your service is, at present, uncapped).

My renewal comes up soon and I would dearly like to stay with you, your
customer support is good, and my service has been reliable. However (and
it's a big however) other companies now seem to offer a reliable broadband
service, and however good your customer service it certainly a'int worth £12
a month!

I am sure that even you can see that if I did decide to stay with you, there
will be many other customers who will depart. I wonder what your churn rate
is?

I do hope that you revise your service, and in a short time, "promises" that
you are "looking into your services" are no longer good enough.

You are welcome to pass this email to whoever in your organisation can make
some decisions. I await your considered reply in the near future."

Rob (signed).

monkeyarms

i didnt know Tesco was supplying 2meg ?

can u give us more details?

i asked their support a couple of weeks ago if they were upgrading and the reply was no!!

any info would be greatly apprieciated

thx

onephat

ULTIMATE Member
Personaaly i'd stay with NDO :)

cashpot

Casual Member
monkeyarms said:
i didnt know Tesco was supplying 2meg ?

can u give us more details?

i asked their support a couple of weeks ago if they were upgrading and the reply was no!!

any info would be greatly apprieciated

thx

Neither did I, nor their customer! However when I installed they connected at 2 meg (which I confirmed with a speed check). As I say on another forum the Tesco web site is way out of date promoting a competition which ended two months ago!

I do NOT compare Tesco with NDO EXCEPT by the cost and IF the service works then why pay SO much more?

Rob.

GJH

cashpot said:
I do NOT compare Tesco with NDO EXCEPT by the cost and IF the service works then why pay SO much more?

I suspect IF the service works is the operative clause.

NDO have been number crunching and their announcement on increased speeds and 2Mb is due very shortly.

NDO have been an ISP since 1995 and ridden the highs and lows

Tesco sell baked beans :D

miffie

ULTIMATE Member
You get what you pay for (as a rule). Does Tesco give 24/7 support 365 days per year?. Do Tesco have an active presence in their forums?. I seem to recall it was not so very long ago that everyone was screaming blue murder about tesco`s. Price is not everything . I prefer SERVICE.
miffie

monkeyarms

The OP point was cost v services

You pay the costs constantly,

You use support services occasionaly.

Tesco do sell beans, and car insurance, and house insurance. and lots more.

I have all of them from tesco. And the service and cost is excellent on all the products i mentioned.

I have had Tesco BB scince it was launched. Its fast+reliable+value for money.
Thats from the horses mouth. Not 2nd guessing.

miffie

ULTIMATE Member
With one of my previous ISP`s I spent £20 on premium phone calls to support and still got no satisfaction . On the 2 occassions that I have called NDO support ( at national rate ) I have received good advice that solved the problem .
miffie

simax

Casual Member
Currently getting NDO 1MB quite happily for £19.99/month. I wouldn't mind 2MB though, although some sites say I can get it, and some say that I can't......... :crap:

Simon

cashpot

Casual Member
I doubt it!

simax said:
Currently getting NDO 1MB quite happily for £19.99/month. I wouldn't mind 2MB though, although some sites say I can get it, and some say that I can't......... :crap:

Simon
I don't think you are! If you are saying that you are getting a 1Meg connection from NDO for less than £20 a month I'd like details although (and I am trying to not be rude) I fear it's either a figment of your imagination OR you don't know what you are getting.

What sites say that you can get 2 Meg from NDO (at ANY price except for special business packages)? Bet it's not the NDO one!

I DO know a lot about NDO and they just arn't offering a 1 Meg service for that price.

Rob.

simax

Casual Member
Not being funny, but I know what I am talking about.

Taken from http://www.speedtest.ndo.com

On Saturday, 19th March, 2005 Your bandwidth measured as:

969.10kbps

which means you can download at 121.14 KB/sec. from our servers.

When I asked in the summer to be regraded to 1MB from 512K, it went ahead, but their billing system thinks I am still on 512K. I have just gone past my 1 year point, and they sent me an email telling me that they'll be reducing my sub to £19.99 from £24.99.

Let the good times roll!

Simon :laugh:

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
My Plusnet connection (512 kilobits) is due to be upgraded free of charge, to 2 megabits, between April and June. Then to 8 megabits from September onwards. Caps are 30 gigabytes peak/200 gigabytes off-peak. Cost 22 pounds/month.

I only point this out because other companies may follow suit. A relative for instance was recently given a free upgrade to 1 megabit by Pipex. :)

Bob2002

ULTIMATE Member
simax said:
When I asked in the summer to be regraded to 1MB from 512K, it went ahead, but their billing system thinks I am still on 512K. I have just gone past my 1 year point, and they sent me an email telling me that they'll be reducing my sub to £19.99 from £24.99.

Let the good times roll!

Simon :laugh:

I hear the sound of an NDO rep hurriedly performing a search for customers on 1 megabit with the first name Simon. :cool:

GJH

simax said:
Daft thing to post in public Simon :crap:

bob2002 said:
I hear the sound of an NDO rep hurriedly performing a search for customers on 1 megabit with the first name Simon.
Not hard given it says: simon(at)simax.ndo.co.uk on his profile :rolleyes:

NDO do visit these boards :D

sentup.custard

ULTIMATE Member
Well, just my opinion, as I'm not an NDO customer so not in a position to judge from personal experience, but .....

If a week is a long time in politics, an hour is a lifetime in the ISP world. Things are always changing, and a hasty decision can often be the wrong one.
I would look at things from the long term point of view, not just grab whoever is offering what appears to be the best deal today.
On that basis, having read a considerable number of posts about both ISPs over a long period of time on this forum, if I wasn't happy with my own ISP, NDO would be one of the first alternatives that I would be considering, and Tesco, while not at the bottom of the list (can I say "Tiscali" without the profanity filter kicking in?) would not be very far up it.
I believe in value for money, but price isn't everything.

simax

Casual Member
GJH said:
Daft thing to post in public Simon :crap:

Not hard given it says: simon(at)simax.ndo.co.uk on his profile :rolleyes:

NDO do visit these boards :D

I think you may be right.... just got this email....

Dear xxxxxxx,

On review of your account we have noticed that you have been under-charged, as this was not your fault we will not require you to pay the under-paid amount; however we are going to have to change your monthly subscription charge to the cheapest 1mb connection we offer which is £29.99 per month. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused, if you do have any queries regarding this issue please do not hesitate to contact our customer services team.

Kind Regards

Chris McNish

NDO Limited

Never mind. AOL is £5 cheaper, so I'm off to get my MAC tomorrow, although I'm looking at others.

Don't seem to use more than 5GB a month, so plenty of choice out there!

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Vodafone £19.50 (*22.50)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • NOW £20.00 (*32.00)
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*25.00)
    Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • TalkTalk £21.00 (*29.95)
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Shell Energy £21.99 (*30.99)
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Vodafone £23.50 (*26.50)
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
  • Gigaclear £24.00 (*49.00)
    Speed: 300Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £25.00 (*35.00)
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: Promo Code: ROKUGIFT
  • Community Fibre £27.50 (*32.50)
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: First 6 Months Free
  • Virgin Media £28.00 (*52.00)
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (3667)
  2. BT (3044)
  3. Politics (1975)
  4. Building Digital UK (1945)
  5. FTTC (1897)
  6. Openreach (1862)
  7. Business (1717)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1501)
  9. Statistics (1430)
  10. FTTH (1367)
  11. 4G (1295)
  12. Virgin Media (1196)
  13. Fibre Optic (1184)
  14. Wireless Internet (1176)
  15. Ofcom Regulation (1167)
  16. Vodafone (859)
  17. EE (845)
  18. 5G (792)
  19. TalkTalk (781)
  20. Sky Broadband (757)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules