Sponsored Links

Connected through Sky @ 14052 kbps

Hello all.

Just thought i would share and give something back to this site. I am conneced through sky and have had no problems. (except their extreamly messy instal for the TV!) i am connected at 14052 kbps down and 764 kbps upload. I can download 1GB of data in 15-20 mins - ~1.5meg/sec

Any questions just ask.

There's a sky availability checker here http://check.skybroadband.com

It is only available to sky TV customers paying £15+ per month. If your exchange has been unbundled by Sky adsl packages range from £0 to £10 per month (£10 per month is for upto 16mbps). If it hasn't, Sky Connect is the only option @ £17 per month.
If the exchange is due to be unbundled in the next 6 months you may be offered Sky connect @ £5 per month.

for details http://broadband.sky.com/

If you are thinking of getting sky TV check out quidco for a £49.95 cashback after fees http://www.quidco.com/sky-digital/

Sponsored Links
hmmm, they dont mention anything within 6 months but i was offered connect at £5 p/m :confused:

hmmm, they dont mention anything within 6 months but i was offered connect at £5 p/m :confused:

I read it somewhere or other when they launched the £5 offer, at the time their checker only offered me connect at full price and I understood that there were no plans to upgrade my exchange in the next 12 months. Possibly they've extended the offer, although given the cost I have my doubts - I suppose they might be offering it to anybody on a talktalk LLUed exchange as a spoiler :laugh:

Sky claim their network already covers 50% of the population and will cover 70% by July 2007.

EDIT: in fact the checker does say" To get this package, you either need to live in an area covered by our broadband network, or in an area which we are switching on soon (up to 70% of UK homes) and have an active BT line.", so I guess it must be correct.

http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/offers/bundles
This combination of products for £26 is only available to 70% of the UK population, customers currently in our network area (50%) those out of the network we will reach before July 2007 (20%). Availability is subject to your location, compatible line and equipment, and survey.

Hello all.

Just thought i would share and give something back to this site. I am conneced through sky and have had no problems. (except their extreamly messy instal for the TV!) i am connected at 14052 kbps down and 764 kbps upload. I can download 1GB of data in 15-20 mins - ~1.5meg/sec

Any questions just ask.

Im synced at 14982kbps / 1023kbps

oh, and I'm NOT with sky :D

Sponsored Links
Hello all.

Any questions just ask.

1GB in 15-20 minutes! Holy flurking schnit! :eek: I downloaded a file using my current 2MB Pipex connection on sunday 165mb it was, took me the best part of 9 hours. Goddamn traffic shaping. :mad:

Samknows.com told me Sky/easynet LLU enabled my exchange just after xmas and my contract is up with Pipex so I asked for my MAC friday and my wireless router came today! Sky Mid here I come! :laugh: 8MB connection ain't bad it's 4 times better than I've ever known before and it'll be synched at 16mb just capped at 8 so I'll be able to get full 8mb speed and not "up to 8mb" which means in actuality something nearer to 4-6mb and none of that BRAS malarky. Excellent!

I just hope the service doesn't get oversubscribed, traffic shaped and otherwise deteriorate markedly over the course of my 12 month contract or I'll be signing up to my original choice Zen. :hrmph:

Don't do it!!!!!

I have been with sky mid for a month and although being told i could get 13.8Mb, and checking on several other sites i should get up to 6.5, i actually get 4Mb....:confused:

...Oh and that's not the problem!!!
The main problem is that the connection only works now and again, sometimes for 1 page sometimes for a whole 15 minutes!!:shrug: but i would say it probably works 2-3% of the time.

....secondly along with that my home phone line no longer functions properly....

.....thirdly after phoning sky every day for the past month and speaking to pretty much every worker in the call centre (minus any supervisors/managers as they won't talk to you!!) I am no further forward....

.....fourthly now that I have decided to give up and go back to my original provider (who by the way had no problems connecting on the same BT line), I have been told that there is no way i can get a MAC code over the phone and that I MAY be able to get out of my 12 month contract, if I let them know in writing:hrmph: .......

...oh and that takes 1 month, apparently,

...so all in all, for £20 plus £5 a month I could have just about zero internet connection for the next 12 months and to top it off no phone line :mad:

Unless you love to gamble don't risk going to sky, because if it doesn't work you're screwed!!!!!

Sponsored Links
i wish they would install it in my area lmao

There's a sky availability checker here http://check.skybroadband.com

It is only available to sky TV customers paying £15+ per month. If your exchange has been unbundled by Sky adsl packages range from £0 to £10 per month (£10 per month is for upto 16mbps). If it hasn't, Sky Connect is the only option @ £17 per month.
If the exchange is due to be unbundled in the next 6 months you may be offered Sky connect @ £5 per month.

for details http://broadband.sky.com/

If you are thinking of getting sky TV check out quidco for a £49.95 cashback after fees http://www.quidco.com/sky-digital/

Hey, I just noticed Sky have finally unbundled my exchange. :) Sam doesn't even know about it yet.

thats such a shame elc114-sounds like you're having a really bad time with Sky-and basically, they're not that bad.
I would think most ISP's would allow you to leave when you're having as much trouble as you're having simply by phoning them.

I had problems with Pipex and wished I'd never heard of them! but thats another story. They told me to ring their customer service to explain why I was leaviing early and why I wasn't prepared to pay thei cancellation fee, but I wrote instead.......2 letters and not responces at all!

So I'd try again and see what they say. Surely if you threaten them with cancellation they should do their best to keep you?

elc114 wrote:
Unless you love to gamble don't risk going to sky, because if it doesn't work you're screwed!!!!!

What a dreadful experience! The thing is if the gamble pays off it can be amazing. I'm blown away by Sky Max. Virtually no cap, no management and the same awesome speeds 24/7. Never any slowdowns or dropouts. Fair enough I'm only 1km from the exchange (real distance and not as crow flies) but for £10/month I'm one happy chap. Just look at my signature. I get 13.3 Mb/s with ThinkBroadband and 14 Mb/s with Namesco no matter what time of day I do a test! I've been connected for over 20 days solid now and my CRC errors are often in single figures for any 24 hour period.

Have you posted up your line stats on here in case anyone can post any comments? Eg. What's your SNRM like and your attenuation. Do you get loads of errors and what's you internal wiring like? Forgive me if you've covered all this. Probably best for you to start up a new thread if you want any help though?

Sponsored Links
Hi hatevirginmedia,
Well, my "crow flies" distance is 800 metres with an actaul of about 1KM, so you'rs should be about the same as mine unless it goes via the pretty route. My attenuation is 25 which is high for my line length. Just so long as your line is not made of aluminium stuck together with spit and does'nt go through a swamp, etc., you should get the 14! I get 13.3 with ThinkBroadband.com (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/119371969927453010502.html)

I put in a new faceplate and ADSL cable just for the heck of it.

My router only syncs around 5920 kbps / 768 kbps, although I can get an extra 500kbps if I disconnect my telephone extensions - I really must get around to pulling up those floorboards and extending my LAN :laugh: I'm just over a mile as the crow flies from the exchange, so I guess I can't complain.

now only if sky would uncap the upstream to 1024k :nod:

And offer it on their "Mid" package so I could downgrade and save a fiver a month :)

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules