Uptime: 2 days, 7:18:42
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 864 / 4,544
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.0 / 44.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 5.0

I get about 470k/s throughput from the newsgroups

exchange enabled for sky yesterday at present i have a line attenuation of 25db and noise level of around 10db connection at 8128kbps

wonder what kind of speed sky could give me i am 849 meters as crow flies probably nearer 1km from exchange

i use about 30gb most months 40gb occasionally was thinking about paying £10 for the max product

whats opinions good or bad idea

There's an adsl2 guestimator here http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx

I've been with Sky for a few months now and so far the service has been excellent. I think they are back to offering free activation for Max, with "Mid" costing £30, so over the 12 month contract period the difference in cost between the packages is only £30. I guessed as my line is only good enough for 7mbps that I'd only be put on adsl1, but thought Max was worth the extra for the higher upload speed.

I am a bit concered that Sky may follow some of the other large ISPs and decide to join Phorm, which would ruin a perfectly good service for me.

guestimator says 7.15 at 8mb connection sky midi

i also dont like the look of phorm

but speed and price look great

you will get (or VERY close to) the full 16382kbps on max with those stats, personally I wouldnt go on mid as its a 40GB cap and for an extra 5 quid for unlimited (rumoured 250GB FUP) on max, its a no brainer..

Sponsored Links
yeh thanks triaxor wasnt thinking about mid package, thats just what speed comparison site gave as a speed guide(8 meg) and the mid package is the closest to this speed

the max unlimited is what i need i do p2p downloading and daughter uses laptop a lot for bebo, msn, and downloading itunes etc use average 30g per month but can go over 40g

pay £18 per month for 512k on eclipse so £10 sky max as u say is a no brainer

Hi guys... here are my SNR and other stats
DSL Connection

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 6:15:33
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,880
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 79.17 / 2.02
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.5 / 38.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 8.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5,634
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 8
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 7
Line Profile: Interleaved

acording to http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/default.aspx i should be getting...
this:--If your service provider uses ADSL2+ we estimate you may manage line speeds of: 11695Kbps
With ADSL2+ the maximum IP throughput is likely to be around: 10350Kbps

is that good?

compared to dling 500k a sec on BT and 900k a sec on my previous supplier?

I think you will get roughly 9-10Mb for an ADSL2+ connection, which for £10 and is Unlimited (Rumoured 250GB FUP) I'd say go for it, however, as I said in another thread, have your max delay lowered to 8ms for a better ping and you'll never look back. :)

got mac code from eclipse tonight at 10.15pm after phoning for it at 4.45pm

not bad responce time upgraded and submitted mac at sky.com tonight and now awaiting transfer date and new router

went for sky max at £10 was paying eclipse £18 for 512k

wow sky are quick placed order monday evening around 10.30pm online
tuesday checked status at sky.com order beingprocessed router being processed anticipated connection 31/3/08

wednesday checked status again router ordered and to be delivered within 3-5 working days

thursday router delivered

still waiting for official connection date letter but so far impressed

router is new black netgear unsure if its better or worse than the sagem

Sponsored Links
triaxor i noted from your sky-user forum profile you dont use the sky router how is this done, i thought login details were hard wired to router

also some reports say sky can cancel your account if they want because you dont use their equipment,

There are various techniques to get the password out of the router, however there is a website somewhere that can derive your password from the serial no and MAC address of the black routers.

As I recall Sky's T&Cs says you must use your wireless router to access the service. Presumably there's a clause in them somewhere that defines "your wireless router" as the one supplied by Sky.

Yeah, I use a Belkin 7633 (.25 Firmware) after using one of the "various techniques" to extract my username/password, to be honest, the only reason to use the Sky Router is for support purposes in my view, if you say you're using a different router they wont help you, but as for cutting you off, still hasnt happened to me or anyone else I know of.. :shrug:

thanks guys googled sky router passwords found several sites went to one and got details only needed to get password as username is on the barcode printed info on router box with @skydsl added didnt even need box conected to net some forums say that hacking into box can disable them

at present i use a netgear dg834gv3 which operate well but only at 54mpbs would like faster and wider coverage of 108mpbs so may start off with sky box and uprgrade to my own either g+ or mimmo or even n router at my liesure 8 days to sky connection

Hopefully Sky haven't changed the password algorithim.

The hacks I've seen published for the dg934g all involved flashing the router, which would risk trashing them.

I had a very brief look at the firmware when they came out, and I think that it would be possible to get root access without flashing, but the password is generated when the router connects and is not stored, so it would be more difficult to extract than on the original Sky router.

I'm pretty certain that the black netgear dg934g is actually a DG834G V3 in a ugly black case with with customised firmware, although there may be differences in performance if it is using a different version of the adsl modem firmware.

oww i never knew about sky enforcing the "u must use our router" mumbojumbo? when did this start? i was not told over the phone that i HAD to use their equipment. i still ain't got my sky router yet. but i have gone onto the sky broadband webby and they gave me my username and i made my own pw for the broadband?

Sky Broadband for number 0156*******
Product Latest Update
Broadband Max Your order has been cancelled.
Product Latest Update
Wireless Router Your order has been cancelled.

just rang up sky and they told me that the MAc code was invalid ffs.. time to bitch at ********* telecoms again.

how long had your sky max been activated?

seems harsh if they kicked you off for using a non-sky issue router when they hadn't fullfilled their part of the agreement by issuing a router

would appear to be a good case for some sort of appeal firstly to sky broadband or possibly offcom

I think TK's migration to Sky failed because of an invalid mac code, rather than Sky kicking him off.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules