Sponsored Links

Connection and speeds

I've recently joined Sky after being involved in the BISCit debacle and I wonder if some of you old hands could give me some info?

Firstly, my router seems to drop connections like David James with buttery gloves on - before Easter it was not connecting on startup and several calls to Sky Support led only to me having to reset the router, losing port forwading info etc.

I can see the router perfectly in my wireless connections group, but the actual line connection was intermittent. Oddly, when I was on the 'phone to Sky, it almost always kicked itself into life and an experiment where I rang my mobile from my landline also had the same effect, as did trying to use a PSP to connect to the internet. Any idea what that's about?

For the last two days it seems to have been better, in that it connects and mostly stays connected, with only one or two dropouts, so maybe it was just a transient fault on the line, but I'd much rather not have to keep checking it if I'm downloading something to make sure it's still working!

Secondly, my line speeds are all over the place, Using the bt speedcheck page, my connections have been anything from 320kbps to 4880kbps and there's nothing to indicate as and why it gets a particular speed. Again, this might just be a line problem, but I'd expect a level of consistancy within an certain range, not over 4mb difference!

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to read them.

Last edited:
Skip_intro, which package are you on?

If you're on the Connect package (essentially a BT adslmax IPStream product) there's a 10 day training period, where your connection can be all over the place for the first 10 days. If you're on Base / Mid / Max, there is no training period but there might be a problem with your internal telephone extension wiring.

Sponsored Links
Thaks to your prompt replies, guys.

Unicast, I took the Mid range 3 in 1 bundle from Sky. I did notice that after the bloke came to fit my Sky box, the phone socket had been jiggered about with. Perhaps I need to get BT in to check if it needs sorting?

If so, I might give them a sob story to fit a new faceplate, eh?

I'd try and check the internal wiring yourself to be honest. If you report a fault to BT and they find out the problem is with your wiring they'll charge you. Best bet is to fit an adsl filtered faceplate to your main phone point. That's what I've got and highly recommend them.

If it's a fault with the wiring they'll charge to fix it? Surely it was a BT bod who fitted it in the first place? Hmm, sounds like a charging twice exercise to me, but that's why they make a gazillion quid a second, I suppose.

I'll have a look at the FAQs on the SkyUser site, which does have a 'phone wiring diagram as I remember. Do you have a recommendation for a faceplate?

[Edit] Looking at a picture of the NTE5 box it looks nothing like mine, in that mine is not a two piece faceplate, so I guess I'll have to get a replacement anyway or at least someone from BT to look at it.

Last edited:
Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5468)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2523)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2233)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules