Sponsored

"Connection closed by peer" (BitTorrent)

Pipeless

Does anyone have any idea what it means when a BitTorrent client (in my case uTorrent) reports an up/downloading torrent as "connection closed by peer" in the tracker status facility?

This has been happening for the last few weeks. No changes to my system have been made to create the problem. Details :

ADSL modem (no router).
Windows firewall (problem checked whilst on AND off).
No adware / spyware on PC.
Non-BitTorrent speed : nominal. Happy with it.
I never have more than 3 torrents active at any one time.
"Allow Incoming Legacy Connections" ticked.
Checked with Protocol Encryption Enabled, Forced and Disabled.
Green icon (network working as it should) on uTorrent display.
Torrents can have many seeds and peers.

Any torrent I start is fine for a few moments. Eventually it turns Red ; tracker-status shows the above message.

Downloading and/or uploading continues, but at a much reduced rate. No new seeds and/or peers are connected to. This is bad for maintaining a decent ratio on private trackers.

If I add another torrent to my queue it immediately "goes red" and doesn't start downloading at all.

A Google-search of the problem seems to indicate that quite a few people are suffering from it, but there aren't a lot of clues as to what the problem is. Some are suggesting that it is result of the ISP interfering in some way with the connection (yet my ISP claims it doesn't throttle BitTorrent traffic).

I'll take this up, soon, on my ISP's forum on this website, but I thought I'd try and get some input here first.

Any clues?

Last edited:

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
This can occur for a number of reasons, some of which include:

1. Local software/router firewall or security settings specific to your system that are blocking the torrent.

2. Your ISP has started somehow restricting BitTorrent (P2P) traffic.

You might find that this also occurs more on torrents that have a port associated with their tracker in the URL and that those without a port are probably fine. The error usually occurs because the port being used has been closed by some part of the connection, be it on your local network (less likely if it occurs later into the download) or by your ISP.

It is sometimes possible to solve this locally by enabling RC4 encryption in uTorrent (options>preferences>network>protocol encryption) and make sure to tick 'Allow incoming legacy connections'. Connecting through a proxy server may also help, such as this method:

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/399896

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
also try another random port as well to see if that helps.

Pipeless

This can occur for a number of reasons, some of which include:

1. Local software/router firewall or security settings specific to your system that are blocking the torrent.
Yes; but as I said in the original post :
This has been happening for the last few weeks. No changes to my system have been made to create the problem.
ADSL modem (no router).
Windows firewall (problem checked whilst on AND off).
No adware / spyware on PC.

2. Your ISP has started somehow restricting BitTorrent (P2P) traffic.
Yep!

You might find that this also occurs more on torrents that have a port associated with their tracker in the URL and that those without a port are probably fine. The error usually occurs because the port being used has been closed by some part of the connection, be it on your local network (less likely if it occurs later into the download) or by your ISP.
Yes; the presence of a port-number in the URL seems to be a major factor in the problem. I was reading about users from Malaysia who were having problems with this.

It is sometimes possible to solve this locally by enabling RC4 encryption in uTorrent (options>preferences>network>protocol encryption) and make sure to tick 'Allow incoming legacy connections'.
Yes; but as I said in the original post :
"Allow Incoming Legacy Connections" ticked.
Checked with Protocol Encryption Enabled, Forced and Disabled.

Connecting through a proxy server may also help, such as this method:

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/399896
Thanks. I noticed the Malaysian people were using a method like this as well. I had actually tried it (using Proxomitron as the means) and it worked, up to a point. It actually slightly improved speed - but only if I had one torrent in the download queue. If I added another, then it began to display the same "connection closed by peer" symptoms which would sometimes also spread to the first torrent!

I'll do some more research for a little while and see what happens, and if the situation continues I'll make a post in the ISP's section here (it's Fast.co.uk, by the way). And, as they've specifically said, in their section, that they don't indulge in BT manipulation things could get strained. Oh well!

Mark.J

Administrator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Have you heard back from Fast.co.uk about this yet?

fast

ISP Rep
Hi Pipeless,

I sent you a PM yesterday asking you to contact us, as I couldn't work out who you were from the posts here but could see you were a customer of ours from other messages.

I'm very keen to look at this with you, our door is always open :)

Mark

Edit - Pipeless is now in touch and we're going through normal checks with him, as this hadn't been raised with us yet.

Last edited:

Pipeless

A Fast.co.uk representative has just been in touch by phone and is investigating the matter. He stated that the company do not perform any kind of traffic-shaping on BitTorrent (or any other protocol) and are looking into alternative reasons for the problem. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Edit : I hadn't noticed that Fast.co.uk had sent me a personal-message yesterday!

Edit 2 : The matter is being passed to a technician who will get in touch with me either tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
Erm ......... no offence, mate, but the problem is waaaaaay beyond trying another random port. Thanks anyway.
twas a suggestion based upon a similar issue l got with the same error, thankfully you found the issue was something else however trying everything is always worth a shot :)

rwh13384

Pipeless, I'm also with fast, was having serious problems with Azureus(after years of very very good speeds) and moved to utorrent and got the connection closed by peers, have tried everything even reformatted and reinstalled vista.

Can you tell me what the solution is?

fast

ISP Rep
The above poster has now called us.

If anyone else is having problems with anything please contact us, as it's always worrying to hear people have had issues for months but not spoken to us about them - we'd love to hear from you :)

Last edited:

fast

ISP Rep
We've found the cause of the problem :)

An Access Control List (ACL) is in place for a number of public access points we provide (primarily to one customer) where sites / services are blocked at their request.

A handful of customers were affected by having their lines on that platform in error, but this has now been resolved.

Pipeless

We've found the cause of the problem :)

An Access Control List (ACL) is in place for a number of public access points we provide (primarily to one customer) where sites / services are blocked at their request.

A handful of customers were affected by having their lines on that platform in error, but this has now been resolved.
Now that two of us have experienced and resolved the same problem, perhaps this thread can now be moved to the Fast.co.uk forum of this site?

It would only be fair to any remaining handful of customers who may visit the forum, thinking the fault of the thread-title lies with their system, and encourage them to get in touch with Fast for a (speedy and helpful) resolution.

Kits

Super Moderator
Staff member
ISPreview Team
Your wish is granted pipeless :D

Pipeless

Your wish is granted pipeless :D
Thank you, Kits. I originally posted the thread outside of Fast's forum simply because I wanted to find out from the general population what they thought the problem could be. I was 98% convinced it wasn't "my" or my system's fault (I'm quite technically proficient at all this) but as Fast's service is otherwise impeccable I didn't want to make waves, as it were.

But now that they've actually admitted what the problem was I think it's good that it's now here.

On a personal note I'd still recommend Fast very highly indeed to anyone here who's looking for a new ISP.

rwh13384

Pipeless, sorry for hijacking your thread and thanks for posting this, otherwise I would still be changing ports, switching clients etc etc, as I was 100% convinced it was nothing to do with my ISP.

My google search for "has fast started traffic shaping" after reading about the Malaysian problem brought me here, thanks and sorry again.

Pipeless

Pipeless, sorry for hijacking your thread and thanks for posting this, otherwise I would still be changing ports, switching clients etc etc, as I was 100% convinced it was nothing to do with my ISP.

My google search for "has fast started traffic shaping" after reading about the Malaysian problem brought me here, thanks and sorry again.
It's not "my" thread ....... everyone is free to contribute. I'm glad it's all sorted-out now.

Pipeless

Fast - I've been experiencing the "Connection closed by peer" phenomenon, again, for the past hour or so.

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • SSE £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2553)
  2. FTTP (2291)
  3. FTTC (1687)
  4. Building Digital UK (1626)
  5. Politics (1456)
  6. Openreach (1444)
  7. Business (1272)
  8. FTTH (1124)
  9. Statistics (1118)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1067)
  11. Fibre Optic (984)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (930)
  13. Wireless Internet (929)
  14. 4G (925)
  15. Virgin Media (876)
  16. EE (607)
  17. Sky Broadband (602)
  18. TalkTalk (587)
  19. Vodafone (542)
  20. 3G (418)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules