Sponsored

Connection Problems

Bures

Top Member
During the past few weeks, connecting via dial-up seems to be very unpredictable.
Usually the user name and password are rejected. I some cases I have retyped the names exactly as they were, to be connected succesfully.
Two other friends on "naims" suffer the same problem, so its not me.
In other cases leaving it from perhaps the evening to the next day, again seems to clear the problem.
Is it time for us to look for another supplier ?

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I believe V21 (fast4 and naims supplier) picked up quite a few customers (most likely heavy users) from the recent spate of failed Broadband ISPs, most of them will already be back on ADSL with other companies, so you might notice things improving.

Unfortunately you've just missed out on Namesco's special offer of broadband for £60 for a whole year! however some people have been able to negotiate AOL Broadband silver @ £9.99 per month.

Bures

Top Member
Mel,
Thanks for that, just had to make 3 attempts tonight to get a connection. I did wonder if it was congestion.
I think I will investigate the AOL offer ??

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
When I was with fast4, I would have considered 3 attempts excellent as I often had to redial vastly more times than that, although that was by no means my main reason for leaving.

Another thought is that your current problems might be related to the 'merger' with biscit - if it is actually a case of V21 being absorbed/ relocating. Or they may just be trying to cut costs of course.

AOL currently have an advertised special offer of 1mbps ADSL with a free wireless router (I was sent a Netgear dg834g ) + the first month free for £14.99 per month (12 month binding contract).

However some people have apparently managed to negotiate that down to £10 per month with a free modem, or pay £25 extra for the router. I don't know if this is still possible though and don't expect to succeed on your first attempt.

See the thread here:- http://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/showthread.php?t=21471
There's also mention of it on the AOL forum at www.adslguide.org

I took the easy route as I'm a lousy haggler and signed up using a quidco account which will hopefully give me a £40 cashback some time in the future (this has now been cut to £30 for new signups :( ), although I don't really care if it doesn't turn up as £14.99 / month + 1 month free is still pretty cheap :)

AOL also offer a (£50) refer a friend deal, but I haven't managed to find out if you can also get the 12 months @ 14.99 special offer if you take that up (I suspect it might be £14.99 for the first 6 months then about £18). If it is 12 months at £14.99 and you happen to have a good mate with AOL who will pass on his £25 cut that would work out the equivalent of £10.82 a month for a year with a nice £55 router thrown in. Actually if you also get a free month it would be equivalent to only £9.57, but as I said I have my doubts that they actually give a £50 referral fee on top of the 14.99 special offer.

Last edited:

Bures

Top Member
The dial-up service to naims as I said before has been steadily going downhill. From last sunday it has been atrocious,
Re-dialling multiple times and then when you finally get through you find neither the emails or the browser works.
Sometimes when you are online the service then fails half way thro` sending mail or you find the browser is not responding.
This seems to happen at any time, in the evening, 0830, 1530 etc.
After a week of complaining and tearing my hair out, I get this reply from Naims.
Will my insanity last until they clear the problem in "a few weeks" as they state - I very much doubt it !!

Reply from Naims read with "Ticket Closed"

Although we advertise a specific contention ratio for your package (15:1), we actually maintain the service at a lower ratio - this means that new customers signing up do not mean we are unable to offer a contention of 15:1.

As more customers signup however, the number of available surf ports will reduce as the advertised contention is reached - this is why you recently are having a problem where one was not present before.

This is a problem that occurs every so often - perhaps once a year - and will be resolved as additional port allocation is provided by BT for ourselves.
this is a process we are currently engaged in and customers should find easier connections over the next few weeks.

Kind Regards,
Technical Support

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2511)
  2. FTTP (2203)
  3. FTTC (1658)
  4. Building Digital UK (1607)
  5. Politics (1428)
  6. Openreach (1418)
  7. Business (1239)
  8. Statistics (1099)
  9. FTTH (1076)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1039)
  11. Fibre Optic (969)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (916)
  13. Wireless Internet (909)
  14. 4G (900)
  15. Virgin Media (857)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (592)
  18. TalkTalk (580)
  19. Vodafone (518)
  20. Security (413)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules