Sponsored Links

Connection Problems

Have just come back from a friends house having spent 3 hours trying to connect to their broadband! Also spoent about an hour on the phone to Delhi speaking to some clueless folk who couldnt even speak english.

I was wandering if any one can help and suggest the next steps as customer service is a waste of time with Talk Talk it seems.

Basically was trying to connect using a vista laptop to a EchoLife HG520s router. It seemed to connect but no world symbol on the network icon and it said unidentified network, local access only or similar. This happened with both wireless and LAN connection with ethernet cable to router. No internet pages could be accessed and also no access to the router on 192.168.1.1 with a broken page. All router lights power, wlan, adsl and internet are on. There is a crackle on the phone line when the router is switched on which goes completely when you switch off the router. Tried 3 different adsl filters with same noise on every one and no internet. Was working fine til sunday and no changes were made except microsoft updates installed automatically i think. There has always been a crackle on the line and broadband used to work fine.

Any idea what can be done next as the next time my mate calls Talk Talk wil lbe to cancel his service...

Try this. I’ve found it useful in the past when I have no internet or the computer won't talk to the ADSL modem/Router
Start/Control Panel/Classic View/Network and Sharing Center
On that page click "View Status"
In the next box click "Diagnose"
It may or may nor find a problem but I end up clicking "Reset the network adapter etc" which seems to kick everything into life again.

I had another thought. You could try setting the router back to Factory Default and then put your user name/password etc back in again. To reset the modem you need to push the reset button on the back of the modem using a pin. Obviously ALL your settings will be lost as it will revert back to it's factory settings. I see EchoLife HG520s is a TalkTalk router...I can see why you're having problems.

Sponsored Links
The router could also be set up with MAC address filtering so unless the wireless devices MAC address is put in to the router it wont connect.

What you need to do is take a closer look at the connection status 'Details' for your router in Vista and check to see whether the routers Gateway IP (IPv4) address is correct and that it has assigned the IP's properly. If it's working correctly then 192.168.1.1 should show for the Default Gateway, DHCP server and DNS server. Your computers address is likely to have a similar form, probably 192.168.1.2.

I would also check your 'Network and Sharing Centre' to make sure that only one (assuming a normal home environment) network exists and it should be a 'Home network'. There will also be a status for 'Access type', which might give you an idea of how far its connectivity has got before reaching problems. If it says 'Internet' there then the problem might be elsewhere because it should be functioning normally.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules