Sponsored

Considering Fast4 - but concerns: Where T&Cs?

Krimble

I am just leaving V21. I have wavered concerning joining Fast4 because of the previous Fast4/V21/Biscit connection. But I'm more convinced now Fast4 is independent of them so am looking at the Fast4 option more vigorously.

I am looking for dial up and probably upgrade to broadband in a few months. I already have bought a broadband modem but expect problems with my USB connections via Win98 - not much else works through it! But sometime I expect to go XP or even Vista.

Concerns:

Not been able to find any T&Cs for dial up at Fast4. On the footer of the dial up page it has...
*see terms and conditions for full details - yet there is no asterisk anywhere on the page for it to reference let alone any actual T&Cs. If they show during sign up that is not enough. I don't like having to pretend to buy something just to find out the details of what I am buying.

There are T&Cs for broadband. Scanning through these I see...

Your account is calendar month but with payment every 30 days!

V21 used to have this odd payment system too and mostly got in a muddle. I was double charged twice. Each time they said they didn't know how it could happen. Duh! 30 days is neither a 4-week month nor a lunar month nor a calendar month nor any known monthly system in any earthly calendar that I know of and is just confusing, dubious-looking, and needs some extra cleverness in the accounts software to avoid errors.

Fast4 dial up is £7.99 a month. No complaint there. But is it for 30 days or a calendar month? If a calendar month then the payment is certain to get out of line and gradually creep along a few days every year until a double payment is made. Even if there is some auto-adjustment every two or three years it is still confusing.

That alone might not stop me joining Fast4 so long as I know exactly how the payment is taken but it does put me off. An equivalent ISP with normal billing I might have signed by now. The lack of visible dial-up T&Cs however, does stop me. Anyone point me to the url please if possible? Or an alternate ISP in this price range?

This just put me off joining Firefly too but they are nearly double the price for dial up anyway. They openly state that T&Cs will only be revealed during registration. Presumably they accept that they will lose a few new discerning customers. Ah! perhaps it's a 'potential troublemaker' filter!

Unicast

ULTIMATE Member
Fast4 said:
Technical Support
0905 067 0035*
24 hours a day 365 days a year
*Calls charged at 60p/min at any time of the day! :eek:

Never mind the lack of T&C's - the Tech Support call charges would be enough to put me off! :crap:

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
I am looking for dial up and probably upgrade to broadband in a few months. I already have bought a broadband modem but expect problems with my USB connections via Win98 - not much else works through it! But sometime I expect to go XP or even Vista.
A usb modem is a poor buy really, you can get an adsl router for peanuts (eg http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=24172463608&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=90976 ) and an ethernet card if you need one can be bought for a few pound.

Depending on which ISP you choose you may well be given a 'free' router anyway and don't sign-up to an ISP's adsl service just because you are happy with its dial-up service, shop around and get plenty of customer feedback, most ISPs will want a 12 month contract (or have a 12 month early cancellation penalty / fee as some ISPs prefer to call it :rolleyes: ) unless you pay for activation (and some even if you do :eek: ) .

Mel

ULTIMATE Member
If you are just looking for the cheapest adsl service:-

www.AOL.co.uk 1mbps is £14.99 with free router but can be negotiated down to £9.99 a month. (now almost unlimited - subject to fair usage)

www.eclipse.net.uk starts at £14.99 for 8mbps and I think also includes a free router.

www.virgin.net have a £9.99 bundle, although it has a really low cap.

Edit: just checked, you only get the free router if migrating http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=fixedmain_res

You can get a £15 cashback from rpoints though.

Last edited:
Krimble, if you have any questiosn regarding the FAST4 service or if there is anything that i can do to help please do not hesitate to contact me.

miyoung

I've recently left V21 as well after all the problems with Biscit and have joined Fast4. Everything seems to be running well and the support guys seem spot on with answering your questions, either by phone or on this forum. For so many months it's been impossible to speak to anybody at V21/Biscit so it's quite a shock to hear somebody pick up the phone after a couple of rings and sort any problems out. Would certainly recommend them at the moment.

Cheers,

Mark

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £21.00 (*25.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: £50 Shopping Voucher
  • TalkTalk £21.95 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • xln telecom £22.74 (*47.94)
    Avg. Speed 66Mbps, Unlimited (FUP)
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2531)
  2. FTTP (2253)
  3. FTTC (1675)
  4. Building Digital UK (1616)
  5. Politics (1444)
  6. Openreach (1430)
  7. Business (1258)
  8. Statistics (1110)
  9. FTTH (1105)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1056)
  11. Fibre Optic (978)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (922)
  13. 4G (918)
  14. Wireless Internet (917)
  15. Virgin Media (870)
  16. EE (602)
  17. Sky Broadband (600)
  18. TalkTalk (586)
  19. Vodafone (532)
  20. 3G (417)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules