Sponsored

Considering joining

scootaufc

Casual Member
Hi,

I am considering joining Newnet after reading many favourable reviews.

I am currently with Tesco net and I am moving into a brand new house on the 15th of this month and we are keeping our number with BT. Tesco are cancelling their service on the 14th.

What I want to know is do I have to wait till the 15th before I can sign up and how long will it take for me to be up and running? Tesco told me it would be 30 days hence the reason I am leaving.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Scoot

stealth_worm

Top Member
hmm. I would assume you can sign up soon as you move in, line permitting. normally if you want to move to another ISP you would have to obtain a MAC key, so you transfer to the new ISP without loss of internet. cancelling your account with a current ISP would mean loss of internet, then waiting to be connected to the new ISP, usually 7-10 days. as the line at the house you are moving to I assume does not have broadband enabled already, joining a new ISP would mean having to wait the time for the line to be connected. no way around that, as it is a different line to what you are using currently, even if the number is the same.

assuming the line at this new house is currently operational, you could sign up to a new ISP, then it would probably be enabled once you move in. but certainly if you have to wait until you move in before you can join a new ISP, then you would have to wait the 7-10 days.

is this house, a NEW house? or is it currently occupied by the previous owners?

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
if the line doesnt have DSL on it then you should be able to place a order on ADSL as soon as the line at the new house is active, just moved myself and ordered DSL the day the line was reactivated and was pretty much connected to DSL the next day! BT dont hang around these days.

timeless

ULTIMATE Member
Staff member
Volunteer Mod
well theres always a few they muck around with but they sorted me out pretty quickly

scootaufc

Casual Member
Disaster. Just found out that even though I move in on the 15th, I won't even have the phone never mind internet till the 5th January. Apparently there is a 3 week waiting list for engineers to visit and connect new builds. I'm gutted and really don't know what to do now.

Rare

Top Member
You could always go to your nearest library.

rossbeavis

I would thoroughly recommend NewNet. I have no experience of their email but their ADSL service is excellent. Customer service is cheap (if you call the right number) and quick to answer. Problems are fairly quick to be resolved/investigated by email/online messaging, and their bandwidth monitoring is pretty accurate. The only hiccup I've had with them is their bandwidth monitoring soaring sky high, but that was a while back and a system-wide problem which they resolved within a day or two.

They have just raised their prices but it's still pretty decent value for what you get.

We moved into a new build as well, and got stung by a BT "connection" charge of £130 or something stupid like that. Stupid thing is that they already connected all the lines in the development to the exchange - all the £130 paid for was a flick of a switch! Grrrr!

HTH,
Ross

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £20.00 (*22.00)
    Avg. Speed 50Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • TalkTalk £22.45 (*36.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Post Office £22.90 (*37.00)
    Avg. Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
  • Direct Save Telecom £22.95 (*29.95)
    Avg. Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
Prices inc. Line Rental | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. BT (2508)
  2. FTTP (2192)
  3. FTTC (1656)
  4. Building Digital UK (1604)
  5. Politics (1423)
  6. Openreach (1416)
  7. Business (1236)
  8. Statistics (1097)
  9. FTTH (1070)
  10. Mobile Broadband (1035)
  11. Fibre Optic (967)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (915)
  13. Wireless Internet (906)
  14. 4G (896)
  15. Virgin Media (855)
  16. Sky Broadband (595)
  17. EE (590)
  18. TalkTalk (577)
  19. Vodafone (516)
  20. Security (411)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules