Sponsored Links

Considering Moving From Plusnet To Virgin Media

I have two concerns moving to VM.

The first is: I have read complaints on Trust Pilot about the customer service. I wonder how people have found them, in the 'real world'?

The second concern is the install. I have seen down our road a few installs (which maybe Sky and not VM) with trailing wires directly from the road and green trunking running the length of driveways. I would want to connect via Ethernet. Would the cabling enter my property on the first floor where my PC is? Do they keep things neat? (I know it could be pot luck on who arrives to do the install!)
(I am in a semi, with my bedroom facing the road, so this should be fairly easy)?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Best Regards

Steven

+1 don't go Virgin. Horrible support, sometimes horrible service and you're just a cash cow to be milked.

If your Plusnet works well stick to it. Any reason you want to move?

@ Lucien Many thanks

The only reason to move to for the speed. Open Reach has no plans in the next few years to install FTTP in my area. Others may, of course. At the moment just thinking of options :)

Sponsored Links
It's not 'bad' Lucian. I had 72 meg download until a fault occurred this week. Now after Open Reach 'fixed' a fault dropped to 52 meg, which is okay. Hoping after the ten day settling it I will return to 72 meg which it has been for 9 years. Just starting to wake up to that fact that much higher speeds are available,

Well, in the end it's your decision. While higher speeds are usually available, often they are not really really needed.. don't get me wrong, love fast downloads, but if it's not broken..
See if the line settles to a good speed without interruptions.

Sponsored Links
Virgin performs very well on speed tests but then you’re actual usage somehow doesn’t seem to run as fast as the tests show your line is capable of. They also suffer from major contention issues in some areas.

Customer service is highly comparable to that of Three. Foreign call centres and they like to stick to the script.

My experience of install is you have the date agreed but they’ll turn up separately a few days earlier to do the pre-install work and fit the wire across your garden. They’ll normally see where your TV is and if reasonable install the outside box there. They don’t really like to install it round your house but they can do.

I'd only go with Virgin Media if i knew the area where I lived was not suffering from high contention ration otherwise you can kiss good bye to any latency dependent stuff like gaming.
I've gone from 200mb with Virgin to 50mbit via fttc and whilst I miss the downloads speeds sometimes I dont miss the constant lag from being in an over subscribed area.
Thats not to mention VM customer service which is woeful at best.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All

Helpful ISP Guides and Tips

Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5473)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2525)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1780)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules