Sponsored Links

Considering Sky BB - technical queries

It's ages since I last contributed to the forum - probably an indication of reluctant satisfaction with my current ISP.

However, as money gets tighter, am considering all outgoings - and am considering "bundling" TV, calls and broadband to save some money.

Have Sky TV so considering their BB. Looking for some practical advise from current users. Hope the good peeps here can oblige.

(1) If I go with Sky BB must I use the router they provide - or can I use my current 2wire 2700 with my Sky user id and password.

(2) I guess that Sky BB is an LLU service - samknows indicates that it is for my exchange. There's lot of line loss between local exchange and me and on a good day I get an IP profile of 2000, but it can drop to 1500 (using a standard BT MaxADSL service from a 3rd party ISP). Will switching to an LLU service improve or reduce this ?

(3) The Sky ads all indicate that that PCs/laptops need to be connected to the router wirelessly. Am okay with that for most devices in house - but does the standard router have any standard ethernet connections ? (always like to have the backup option of direct connect if something goes wrong with wireless).

(4) How much admin control does a user have on the Sky router - would I be able to change WPA settings, lock down SSID broadcast, set up MAC filetering / blocking, etc ?

Hope someone out there can give some answers.

Cheers - TP

I can help as I may be swapping to Sky within the next month or two, although the latest 'unlimited' news has actually put me off a bit because I don't want to join a service that promotes the impossible and turns crap again in a month or two. Still..

1. This is the most annoying things for me because BSkyB will not give you your broadband username and password; hence you're forced to use their router. Though *cough* some sites may help you get around this:

http://www.philipnicosia.com/2006/10/03/sky-broadband-username-and-password/

2. It depends on the package you choose, though Sky's unbundled ones are based off ADSL2+ technology and I believe they use more static profiles, though not totally static. In other words you may well experience an improvement but don't expect anything huge and it does depend on the package choice.

3. I'm 90% sure it will, though somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, I can't imagine why it wouldn't.

4. While you don't get the connection L/P, you do get pretty much full router access to all those features.

Hi Mark.

Thanks for takikng time to reply - helpful comments.

Could somebody tell me what type of router Sky are currently sending out to new customers. Would give me the chance to check out reviews and tech specs to see how it compares with my 2wire.

Cheers - TP

Sponsored Links
I think the latest one is a modification of the Netgear DG934G series. They've used Netgear for awhile.

i've been with sky since april this year
i got the netgear router (dg934g modified to sky spec)--, they also use sagem's but they get bad reports

the terms and conditions say you must use their router but you can get the username and password from the router and theoretically use your own

speed for me has been good sync at 16379kbps and speedtest.net results in 13.4 to 14mb

i prefer to us lan cable for my pc although daughter uses wireless for laptop

all wap and security settings are user changable

bt quoted my line maximum speed at 3m but sky prove this wrong

havent regretted it one bit
use sky tv and adsl but not phone

Nice! Very usefull.
BN.gif

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules