Sponsored

Constant dropouts with Three 5G with Huawei CPE Pro

heinzbean

Pro Member
Hi everyone, first post here. Might be quite a long one - hope that's ok.

I'm at my wits end with my CPE Pro on an unlimited 5G plan with Three. In a nutshell, the internet connection drops out at least once a day and all my devices, wired or otherwise, lose access to the internet. It seems that the only way to restore the connection is to physically unplug the router and plug it back in - rebooting via the AI Life app doesn't work, it comes back with no internet connection. At other times the ping goes sky high - 1000-4000ms - while the transfer rate drops to almost nothing. Sometimes it recovers, other times it doesn't. This might just be variations in my reception - I'm on the edge of the stated 5G zone and technically not covered (I had to beg Three to give me the contract to start with) - but 5G reception is showing as good, all three lights are on, and transfer speeds, when they work, are high.

I've spent what seems like hours going through the router settings trying to find something that might be causing the dropouts, but nothing seems to help, but there's a few things that I don't understand and can't seem to fix. These are shown by some odd messages in the router log. The one that's most concerning is this one:

2022-01-25 16:02:44 System Warning LAN side maintenance IP address 192.168.11.1 conflict with Device 54:**:**:5b:**:6d

This appears in the log multiple times a day, and may coincide with the timings of the drop outs but I'm not 100% sure about this. Concerningly, 192.168.11.1 is the router's own IP address, and the gateway that all my devices use to access the internet. The MAC address mentioned in this log entry belongs to my wife's Oppo Find X3 Neo phone - I have set the phone to use the Device MAC address on our home network, and have given it a fixed IP address in the Huawei. The phone reports that it is using the fixed IP address I have given it... so why is there this scary conflict and is there any way I can resolve it?

There is also occasionally error messages in the log saying that "sync time failed from BBOU" - I've tried changing the time servers but that doesn't help. Might this cause the dropouts?

The other thing I've read about is that there might be IPv6 issues that can cause dropouts. I've seen that these can potentially be fixed by adding an APN profile, but I cannot see where to do this. The Network Settings page in the router looks like this for me:

View attachment 2064

Nowhere I can set APN profiles, no IPv4/v6 options, nothing. Is this because of Three's locked firmware? And is there any way I can get around this?

The other thing is that I have devices plugged into both ethernet ports on the router. One is a passive switch with a few wired devices (an Intel NUC PC, an AVR, a Blu-Ray player, a TV) attached, and the other is a Tenda MW6 mesh network node which wirelessly attaches to two other nodes around the house. This is set in bridge mode, so shouldn't be doing any DHCP stuff, but for some reason rebooting the router never works if the mesh node is still attached - I have to physically unplug it before rebooting the router, then the connection comes back. But there are no configurable options in that device beyond 'bridge mode', which is definitely on. When I first connected the mesh system as per the instructions, it somehow caused the router to change it's default LAN address from 192.168.8.1 to 192.168.11.1 - can't for the life of me work out why.

My system information from the router settings is here if that's any use:
View attachment 2065
Has anyone else experienced problems like these with this router, and is there anything that I can do to trace / fix / stop the problems occurring? And is there any other info I can get from the router settings that might help diagnose what's going on?

Sorry... long post...
Bertie it looks like you have a crap signal.... heres what a reasonable signal ....looks like
RSRQ

-7.0dB
RSRP

-84dBm
RSSI

-63dBm
SINR

17dB
mceclip1.png

Someone sent me this when i was sorting my router.

dazmatic

To be fair, I've been having a similar issue with Three unlimited and a Huawei B818. At least once or twice a day the network goes into an almost high impedance state.

It's bizarre because running a speed test on Ookla gives an extremely high ping time in the seconds usually and nearly zero throughout.

However, if I ping Google or similar from a terminal window it's perfectly normal.

The only fix is a reboot if the B818.

maninman

To be fair, I've been having a similar issue with Three unlimited and a Huawei B818. At least once or twice a day the network goes into an almost high impedance state.

It's bizarre because running a speed test on Ookla gives an extremely high ping time in the seconds usually and nearly zero throughout.

However, if I ping Google or similar from a terminal window it's perfectly normal.

The only fix is a reboot if the B818.
This happens often in Three's congested 4G areas where throttling happens with packet losses / high pings.
It shouldn't happen if you successfully connect to a 5G cell though.

dazmatic

This happens often in Three's congested 4G areas where throttling happens with packet losses / high pings.
It shouldn't happen if you successfully connect to a 5G cell though.
I'm too far away for a 5G cell. I've got Iskra 5G P60 antennas with about 8db of gain at 5G frequencies but at 8km away with near line of sight it's not enough. 4G is fine though

So, it's not a device issue then? I was thinking it was because I've updated my B818 to the V11 firmware which allows B1 aggregation and was thinking it was that?

maninman

I'm too far away for a 5G cell. I've got Iskra 5G P60 antennas with about 8db of gain at 5G frequencies but at 8km away with near line of sight it's not enough. 4G is fine though

So, it's not a device issue then? I was thinking it was because I've updated my B818 to the V11 firmware which allows B1 aggregation and was thinking it was that?
If on Three I'd say no it's not a device problem. Have you tried other networks?

dabigm

ULTIMATE Member
I started noticing the last couple of days that when I wake up, my CPE Pro 2 is on 4G not 5G. I've had a few dropouts too.

I set the router restart option now. Hopefully it won't have to stay.

bertie_bassett

Casual Member
Bertie it looks like you have a crap signal.... heres what a reasonable signal ....looks like
RSRQ

-7.0dB
RSRP

-84dBm
RSSI

-63dBm
SINR

17dB
View attachment 2138
Someone sent me this when i was sorting my router.
To be honest I think you're right. In the time between now and my last post on here, I've moved the router up to the roof - we are in a top floor duplex flat with a large open roof terrace on the top, and the CPE Pro now lives in a waterproof box fixed to the fence, with a gigabit powerline adapter taking the internet into the house where my Tenda MW6s send it round the house. The speeds I'm getting now from the MW6s throughout the house are fab - upload in particular has increased ten-fold from what I'd had before. My wife is now able to work from home reliably as well, which is great!

My signal information now - this was an hour ago - is like this:

Capture.JPG

Still not great, but much better than it was before.

We are still having some drop outs but it's far more reliable than it was before. The high ping issue that is reported on here quite a bit is still there, and I think is a direct consequence of me being on the edge of decent reception - I did have to beg Three to give me a contract as their website says the service isn't available in my postcode. All in all I think 5G broadband is still the best option for us as not being on the ground floor apparently makes it impossible for us to get FTTP.

The IP conflict that I mentioned in my first post still appears in the log every now and then - I have no idea how to resolve this and I've given up trying. I think we will just have to learn to live with it. I've never been convinced that it is this that is causing the drop outs; instead I reckon it's not connected to the dropouts when this appears in the log. I'll keep monitoring and we will see.

For now though, fingers crossed that Three roll out a few more cell towers nearer to us so that signal strength goes up and dropouts are a thing of the past!

Promotion
Cheapest Superfast ISPs
  • Hyperoptic £17.99
    Speed 33Mbps, Unlimited
    Gift: None
  • Shell Energy £19.99
    Speed 35Mbps, Unlimited
  • NOW £20.00
    Speed 36Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £20.00
    Speed 54Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £22.00
    Speed 38Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest Ultrafast ISPs
  • Gigaclear £17.00
    Speed: 200Mbps, Unlimited
  • Community Fibre £20.00
    Speed: 150Mbps, Unlimited
  • Hyperoptic £22.00
    Speed: 158Mbps, Unlimited
  • Virgin Media £24.00
    Speed: 108Mbps, Unlimited
  • Vodafone £25.00
    Speed: 100Mbps, Unlimited
Large Availability | View All
Helpful ISP Guides and Tips
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
Promotion
The Top 20 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (4114)
  2. BT (3151)
  3. Politics (2117)
  4. Building Digital UK (2026)
  5. Openreach (1969)
  6. FTTC (1922)
  7. Business (1833)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1605)
  9. Statistics (1510)
  10. 4G (1378)
  11. FTTH (1371)
  12. Virgin Media (1277)
  13. Ofcom Regulation (1241)
  14. Fibre Optic (1234)
  15. Wireless Internet (1233)
  16. Vodafone (926)
  17. EE (905)
  18. 5G (898)
  19. TalkTalk (821)
  20. Sky Broadband (787)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules