Sponsored Links

Consultation: Enabling mmWave spectrum for new uses

We'll need councils to play much more ball if this is going to take off.
Mmwave however seems like a good candidate for street lamps installs given the small antennas and short range.
Fingers crossed.

My question is simply is mmWave only going to be available to certain phones eg iPhone 13s and Samsung Galaxy 22s etc or will any device capable of 5G be able to use the technology?

Sponsored Links
My question is simply is mmWave only going to be available to certain phones eg iPhone 13s and Samsung Galaxy 22s etc or will any device capable of 5G be able to use the technology?

Fixed Wireless Access will make a difference for home broadband

Sponsored Links
I notice they do not go after bluetooth, weird that.
lets face it. these people ain't right .. (duh) but there's a quite vocal group near me (mostly elderly) who object to all plans for masts. Does each one of them have a mobile phone? yup. Local mayor is on the side of science, but I'm not sure I can say the same about the local council who reject 80% of mast applications.

Only devices with a mmWave antenna. Iirc there aren't any phones sold in the UK which have it - the iPhone 12/13 for example only have it equipped on models sold in the US.

Only devices with a mmWave antenna. Iirc there aren't any phones sold in the UK which have it - the iPhone 12/13 for example only have it equipped on models sold in the US.
So basically only high model phones will have this facility?

Typical, should be available to all 5G devices not just a few

Sponsored Links

We do not know if only high-end will have mmwave. I suspect it's going to be available on most handsets.

The antennas and chips required for it are pretty expensive. I know that the Pixel 6 with mmWave actually costs $100 more than the non-mmWave model.

Frankly before carriers start playing around with high-band it probably pays to have a low-band 5G network first.

Apple's decision to remove mmWave from the latest iPhone SE, made little sense. Apart from the fact they would have had to cut a window into the frame for the mmWave antenna.

My S20+ would have had mmWave, if it was the American version... This seems to go for Samsung, Apple and Google - the SM-G986U model is the SD865 mmWave American one whereas the EU SM-G986B model which I have is the Exynos [ugh] 990 Sub-6 Version

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules