Sponsored Links

Copper line following FTTP Migration

nathbooth

I've just succesfully migrated from Vodafone FTTC to BT FTTP which has just been made available and was installed on Wednesday morning. Everything is fine post migration however the randomly anomalee i wasn't expecting is the copper line still works.
My phone service has been migrated to Digital Voice which works fine and has kept my number, however my copper line is also still active and the same number is on it as the Digital Voice. Is this normal or has something in the migration process failed which means the PSTN line hasnt been cancelled down automatically. Vodafone have confirmed my service is cancelled and the VDSL has stopped working.

Hmmm good question. Have you don't a test to see what happens when somebody calls your number, albeit with a handset plugged into both the router for Digital Voice and the old analogue socket?

I moved my number to sipgate and the ADSL got turned off as I went to 4G. The copper line is still connected and has a dialing tone but no number can be dialed, maybe 999 but not going to try.

Sponsored Links
How did you determine that the copper line has "the same number is on it as the Digital Voice"?

Plug a phone into the copper line and dial 17070. You will get a computer voice telling you the phone number of this line.

The pair is still connected to the exchange, which means you could order a new service on this line if you wanted to, but I would expect them to give it a new number if the old number has been ported to DV.

Are you sure your existing internal phone wiring hasn't simply been connected to the Telephone socket on the Smart Hub 2?

The hub provides both an ATA for corded phones and a DECT base for the free cordless handset BT provides. Both will be on the new BT DV.

So my old dect phone is still on the copper line, if i call 17070 it reports my line back correctly. My Digital Voice phone on the WiFi to the hub also reports my line back. If i call my number then both the digital voice and copper line ring. I mean it's no bad thing, just wasnt what i expected.

Did you have an engineer visit. Is there a cable into the telephone socket on the router?.

I am assuming it is YES then both your existing phone wiring and the new handset are using the DV via the router. The external telephone line going out of your home is now disconnected. Your old DECT phone is connected via its base to your old internal wiring which is now connected to the hub. The hub simply treats both your old telephone wiring and the new DECT phones as being on the same line.

When you moved to DV your Telephone Number was ported to the new DV service. The telephone number simply cannot exist on two lines DEL or DV.

So you should be fine going forward, you are on Full Fibre and you can use both your old phones and the new BT phone.

Please remember though that the old telephone line was powered from the Telephone Exchange. The new DV service will cease to work if there is a power failure at your home. Therefore for emergencies you need to ensure you have an alternative such as a mobile phone. To keep the DV line working both the ONT (white Openreach box) and the BT Smart Hub need to be on an uninterupted power source.

Sponsored Links
I work in FTTP connections. It sounds like to me the migration order with Openreach has not completed and they have not deactivated the PSTN line. Normally when a migration completes from pstn to dv it will close down the order on OR's systems but sometimes this can fail and you are left in this situation, I wouldn't worry about it, order should generate an exception and close down within 5 days.

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5472)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2291)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules