Sponsored Links

Could anyone please help me

Hello all,

I am hoping someone can help as i have been going round and round and my head is overloaded with info, but no possible solution. I am not very technical so please excuse if i get the mbps and mb etc wrong.

I have been with talk talk for over 5 years and not really had a problem with anything technical. The broadband etc has always been stable. I worked from home for 3 years using the companies many operational systems and again no problem with speed up/downloads etc.

I have been offered my dream job working from home however then need proof of my speed which needs to be ping under 50, upload above 1 mbps, download above 5 mbps, failure will mean i loose the job offer and possibly my home too. Currently, i am getting on a speed test ping=43, up=0.6 and down 3.8. I have called talk talk to see if they can increase my bandwith but they say they can not and that i am getting a very good line speed at 3.6

I cannot get fibre living rurally ( outskirts of a main town). I have done a check on openreach website and it says that
Post Code: xxxxxxx
Exchange Status: unservedpremises
Text:
Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.
This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options

I am going to call openreach monday however i doubt they will be able to give me any lead time or anything so i dont hold out much hope there.

If anyone could assist with a solution i would be grateful

Thank you
Marni

Sponsored Links
It would appear you are on an ADSL line. If there are no alternative suppliers in the vicinity such as Virgin Media then you are probably out of luck. Fibre on Demand etc would be prohibitively high cost and take too long.

Try Openreach and see if you can determine any imminent plans

If you can talk to some of your neighbours to see what they are getting.

I only see three remedies:

1) Make sure you are getting the best line speed possible. That is the correct NTE box, router very near the line and a good quality modem-cable (preferably screened).
Try also removing any internal phone cables and equipment. They should be via filters anyway but it will be worth seeing if they are having an effect.
Also try plugging the phone into the NTE test socket. Dial 17070. You will reach BT's line test facility. Choose option 2 from the menu presented - "Quiet Line Test" if noisy report a fault.

2) Mobile - what is the mobile coverage in your area? If you can get a reasonable signal and that mobile company can offer an unlimited data SIM then that may work for you. You will require a Router with a SIM facility with an arial socket that will allow you to set up an external arial if required.

3) Second ADSL line. It will require additional rental and probably an installation fee. But using the two ISP routers via a WAN balancing switch (around £150) you can combine the two lines to get more bandwidth. The only caveat is that they may be insisting on 5Mbps for a specific application and having the two lines will not help with this.

I would try (1) to see if you can improve the line speed in any way and if not (2) is probably the best option.

As it is evidence that is required at this stage rather than necessarily increased speed you may wish to try a number of speed tests. The BT Wholesale speed test as it is often optimistic.

Last edited:
Reaching 1Mb UPLOAD speed on a single ADSL connection is always a challenge.

I am intrigued by the ping requirements though; what exactly is the job description?? (The only ones I know of with this requirement are not exactly ethical).

As for asking Talk Talk anything technical.... ho ho ho.

Reaching 1Mb UPLOAD speed on a single ADSL connection is always a challenge.

I am intrigued by the ping requirements though; what exactly is the job description?? (The only ones I know of with this requirement are not exactly ethical).

As for asking Talk Talk anything technical.... ho ho ho.

PM me what you think the job is thats unethical?

The latency requirement can be for things like VOIP, remote desktop remote working things do require low latency normally.

PM me what you think the job is thats unethical?

The latency requirement can be for things like VOIP, remote desktop remote working things do require low latency normally.

No, I dont want to give you ideas.

A 50 ping is a very specific amount, for a nonsensical metric. 50 ping to where?? SpeedTest.org and ThinkBroadBand give me completely different ping results - mainly due to ST insisting I live in London, and refusing to allow me to use a non London server on their latest test suite. (ST ping = 40, TBB ping is 10)

Low ping for Voip?? I have used VOIP to talk to the in-laws in China; the ping to them is HUGE; yet the line is clear and sounds no worse than a BT call to my mum 250m up the road.

Sponsored Links
No, I dont want to give you ideas.

A 50 ping is a very specific amount, for a nonsensical metric. 50 ping to where?? SpeedTest.org and ThinkBroadBand give me completely different ping results - mainly due to ST insisting I live in London, and refusing to allow me to use a non London server on their latest test suite. (ST ping = 40, TBB ping is 10)

Low ping for Voip?? I have used VOIP to talk to the in-laws in China; the ping to them is HUGE; yet the line is clear and sounds no worse than a BT call to my mum 250m up the road.

SIP/VOIP will work ok is the ping is constant even if higher than the norm, tend to find that voice works ok up to around 200ms.

Marni,

I have worked from home for the last 2 and a half years full time, and doing the odd day here and there previous to that.

I have only recently got FTTC in the village i live in, and was using a 1MB ADSL line before that. That amount of bandwidth was not enough and the only solution that was available was 3/4G.

I went to EE and got a deal that was on special offer over the xmas of 2015 and was £27.50 a month for 50GB data allowance, not sure what their current pricing is now. The device was a little mifi that had wifi only and wasn't enough for my needs so i bought a separate 4G router an Huawei B593s and a Poynting XPOL-A002 that was put on the roof which gave me a perfect 4g signal. The EE supplied router only got 1 bar at 4G, and a good 3G signal which was still faster than the ADSL.

With the new router speeds were in the region of 45-60 MB down and 40-50MB up and ping were on average 5-20ms.

The 4G was faster than what i currently have with FTTC due to the distance to the cabinet but i no longer have to look at my bandwidth usage to worry about

Marni,

I have worked from home for the last 2 and a half years full time, and doing the odd day here and there previous to that.

I have only recently got FTTC in the village i live in, and was using a 1MB ADSL line before that. That amount of bandwidth was not enough and the only solution that was available was 3/4G.

I went to EE and got a deal that was on special offer over the xmas of 2015 and was £27.50 a month for 50GB data allowance, not sure what their current pricing is now. The device was a little mifi that had wifi only and wasn't enough for my needs so i bought a separate 4G router an Huawei B593s and a Poynting XPOL-A002 that was put on the roof which gave me a perfect 4g signal. The EE supplied router only got 1 bar at 4G, and a good 3G signal which was still faster than the ADSL.

With the new router speeds were in the region of 45-60 MB down and 40-50MB up and ping were on average 5-20ms.

The 4G was faster than what i currently have with FTTC due to the distance to the cabinet but i no longer have to look at my bandwidth usage to worry about

I have to agree about the bandwidth not being enough, I work from home couple of days a week and up until recently had 2.0mb down and 0.5mb up. Skype calls would break up when Outlook sent or downloaded emails, 4G may be your only option here but that comes with download limits.

good luck!

Cheap BIG ISPs for 100Mbps+
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Gift: None
Virgin Media UK ISP Logo
Virgin Media £24.00
132Mbps
Shell Energy UK ISP Logo
Shell Energy £26.99
109Mbps
Plusnet UK ISP Logo
Plusnet £27.99
145Mbps
Zen Internet UK ISP Logo
Zen Internet £28.00 - 35.00
100Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Cheapest ISPs for 100Mbps+
Gigaclear UK ISP Logo
Gigaclear £15.00
150Mbps
YouFibre UK ISP Logo
YouFibre £19.99
150Mbps
Community Fibre UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
BeFibre UK ISP Logo
BeFibre £21.00
150Mbps
Gift: £25 Love2Shop Card
Hey! Broadband UK ISP Logo
150Mbps
Large Availability | View All
Sponsored Links
The Top 15 Category Tags
  1. FTTP (5470)
  2. BT (3505)
  3. Politics (2524)
  4. Openreach (2290)
  5. Business (2251)
  6. Building Digital UK (2234)
  7. FTTC (2041)
  8. Mobile Broadband (1961)
  9. Statistics (1778)
  10. 4G (1654)
  11. Virgin Media (1608)
  12. Ofcom Regulation (1451)
  13. Fibre Optic (1392)
  14. Wireless Internet (1386)
  15. FTTH (1381)
Sponsored

Copyright © 1999 to Present - ISPreview.co.uk - All Rights Reserved - Terms  ,  Privacy and Cookie Policy  ,  Links  ,  Website Rules